Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Liquidation'
- termination of a business operation by using its assets todischarge its liabilities [syn: settlement]
- the act of exterminating [syn: extermination]
- the murder of a competitor [syn: elimination]
- Liquidation \Liq`ui*da"tion\ (l[i^]k`w[i^]*d[=a]"sh[u^]n), n.[Cf. F. liquidation.]The act or process of liquidating; the state of beingliquidated.To go into liquidation (Law), to turn over to a trusteeone's assets and accounts, in order that the severalamounts of one's indebtedness may be authoritativelyascertained, and that the assets may be applied towardtheir discharge.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Liquidation'
In law, liquidation is the process by which a company (or part of a company) is brought to an end, and the assets and property of the company redistributed. Liquidation is also sometimes referred to as winding-up or dissolution, although dissolution technically refers to the last stage of liquidation. The process of liquidation also arises when customs, an authority or agency in a country responsible for collecting and safeguarding customs duties, determines the final computation or ascertainment of the duties or drawback accruing on an entry.
Liquidation may either be compulsory (sometimes referred to as a creditors' liquidation) or voluntary (sometimes referred to as a shareholders' liquidation, although some voluntary liquidations are controlled by the creditors, see below).[See more about Liquidation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Liquidation'
Liquidation Sample Sentences in News
- Expect Great Savings On Stunning Jewelry This Labor Day Weekend At The Liquidation Channel
AUSTIN, Texas, Aug. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Liquidation Channel (LC) is thrilled to announce its Labor Day Weekend Sale starting Thursday, August 28 and running through Monday, September 1. This 5-day ... Read more on this news related to 'Liquidation'
- EXCLUSIVE: Tonnex International falls into liquidation after lengthy court battle
Printing supplies wholesaler, Tonnex, has gone into liquidation after 16 years in business. Read more on this news related to 'Liquidation'
- LDK Solar Announces Filing of Scheme of Arrangement and Resignation of Xiaofeng Peng
GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands, XINYU CITY, China and SUNNYVALE, Calif., Aug. 29, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- LDK Solar Co., Ltd. in provisional liquidation ("LDK Solar" or the "Company") and its Joint Provisional Liquidators ("JPLs"), Tammy Fu and Eleanor Fisher, both of Zolfo Cooper (Cayman) Limited, today announced that the Company has filed Read more on this news related to 'Liquidation'