Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Liquidation'
- termination of a business operation by using its assets todischarge its liabilities [syn: settlement]
- the act of exterminating [syn: extermination]
- the murder of a competitor [syn: elimination]
- Liquidation \Liq`ui*da"tion\ (l[i^]k`w[i^]*d[=a]"sh[u^]n), n.[Cf. F. liquidation.]The act or process of liquidating; the state of beingliquidated.To go into liquidation (Law), to turn over to a trusteeone's assets and accounts, in order that the severalamounts of one's indebtedness may be authoritativelyascertained, and that the assets may be applied towardtheir discharge.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Liquidation'
In law, liquidation is the process by which a company (or part of a company) is brought to an end, and the assets and property of the company redistributed. Liquidation is also sometimes referred to as winding-up or dissolution, although dissolution technically refers to the last stage of liquidation. The process of liquidation also arises when customs, an authority or agency in a country responsible for collecting and safeguarding customs duties, determines the final computation or ascertainment of the duties or drawback accruing on an entry.
Liquidation may either be compulsory (sometimes referred to as a creditors' liquidation) or voluntary (sometimes referred to as a shareholders' liquidation, although some voluntary liquidations are controlled by the creditors, see below).[See more about Liquidation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Liquidation'
Liquidation Sample Sentences in News
- The Alpine Group, Inc. Announces Liquidation Distribution of $.40 per Share
The Alpine Group, Inc. announced today that its Board of Directors had approved a distribution to shareholders of $.40 per share pursuant to the Company's Plan of Liquidation adopted last year. The liquidation ... Read more on this news related to 'Liquidation'
- A hotel closes, a liquidation sale begins, eeriness ensues
The hotel closed its doors for good over Labor Day Weekend. Read more on this news related to 'Liquidation'
- The Auction Mill Brings Omaha Civic Auditorium Liquidation Auction to the Proxibid Marketplace
Proxibid , the most trusted online Marketplace for buying and selling highly valued items, today announced that it will be the exclusive provider of live online bidding for the upcoming liquidation of the contents from the Omaha Civic Auditorium. Read more on this news related to 'Liquidation'