Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Interlace'
- spin or twist together so as to form a cord; "intertwine theribbons"; "Twine the threads into a rope" [syn: intertwine,twine, entwine, enlace, lace] [ant: untwine]
- hold in a locking position; "He locked his hands around herneck" [syn: lock, interlock]
- Interlace \In`ter*lace"\, v. t. & i. [imp. & p. p. Interlaced;p. pr. & vb. n. Interlacing.] [OE. entrelacen, F.entrelacer. See Inter-, and Lace.]To unite, as by lacing together; to insert or interpose onething within another; to intertwine; to interweave.Severed into stripes That interlaced each other.--Cowper.The epic way is every where interlaced with dialogue.--Dryden.Interlacing arches (Arch.), arches, usually circular, soconstructed that their archivolts intersect and seem to beinterlaced.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Interlace'
Interlace is a technique of improving the picture quality of a video signal without consuming extra bandwidth. Interlaced video was designed for display on CRT televisions.
Interlaced scan refers to one of two common methods for "painting" a video image on an electronic display screen (the other being progressive scan) by scanning or displaying each line or row of pixels. This technique uses two fields to create a frame. One field contains all the odd lines in the image, the other contains all the even lines of the image. A PAL based television display, for example, scans 50 fields every second (25 odd and 25 even). The two sets of 25 fields work together to create a full frame every 1/25th of a second, resulting in a display of 25 frames per second.
Despite arguments against it and the calls to leave interlacing to history by many prominent video experts and technological companies such as Yves Faroudja, the founder of Faroudja Labs, and Microsoft, creators of VC-1 codec, interlacing continues to be supported by the television standard setting organizations and is still being included in new digital video transmission formats such as DV, DVB, and ATSC. Some new generations of video compression standards currently in development, like High-efficiency Video Coding, target high-definition progressive video and do not support interlaced formats.[See more about Interlace at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Interlace'
Interlace Sample Sentences in News
- The Interlace clinches first Urban Habitat Award
The Interlace recently added another accolade to its list. Developed by CapitaLand Singapore and Hotel Properties, the condominium has won the inaugural Urban Habitat Award from the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), a Chicago-based organisation. CTBUH Executive Director and 2014 awards juror Antony Wood said the 1,040-unit development shows &quo Read more on this news related to 'Interlace'
- LBL Lighting's Interlace Suspension Light Fixture Wins "Indoor Decorative" Category at the 2014 LIGHTFAIR Innovation ...
The new Interlace LED suspension light fixture by LBL Lighting was chosen as the “Indoor Decorative” category winner at the 2014 LIGHTFAIR Innovation Awards®. Held this year at the Las Vegas Convention Center, LIGHTFAIR® International (LFI®) is the world’s largest annual architectural and commercial lighting trade show and conference. (PRWeb July 03, 2014 Read more on this news related to 'Interlace'
- The coolest coward in Hollywood
He was the logical synthesis of John Wayne and Jack Benny. Interlace the Duke's measured drawl and virile swagger with Benny's comic timing and shrewd use of wordless exasperation, and you have James Garner, who died Saturday night in Los Angeles at 86. Read more on this news related to 'Interlace'