Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pinion'
Pinion Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a gear with a small number of teeth designed to mesh with alarger wheel or rack
- any of the larger wing or tail feathers of a bird [syn: flightfeather, quill, quill feather]
- wing of a bird [syn: pennon]v
- bind the arms of [syn: shackle]
- cut the wings off (of birds)
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, n. (Zo["o]l.)A moth of the genus Lithophane, as L. antennata, whoselarva bores large holes in young peaches and apples.
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, n. [OF. pignon a pen, F., gable, pinion (insense 5); cf. Sp. pi[~n]on pinion; fr. L. pinna pinnacle,feather, wing. See Pin a peg, and cf. Pen a feather,Pennat, Pennon.]
- A feather; a quill. --Shak.
- A wing, literal or figurative.Swift on his sooty pinions flits the gnome. --Pope.
- The joint of bird's wing most remote from the body.--Johnson.
- A fetter for the arm. --Ainsworth.
- (Mech.) A cogwheel with a small number of teeth, orleaves, adapted to engage with a larger wheel, or rack(see Rack); esp., such a wheel having its leaves formedof the substance of the arbor or spindle which is itsaxis.Lantern pinion. See under Lantern.Pinion wire, wire fluted longitudinally, for making thepinions of clocks and watches. It is formed by being drawnthrough holes of the shape required for the leaves orteeth of the pinions.
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pinioned; p. pr. & vb.n. Pinioning.]
- To bind or confine the wings of; to confine by binding thewings. --Bacon.
- To disable by cutting off the pinion joint. --Johnson.
- To disable or restrain, as a person, by binding the arms,esp. by binding the arms to the body. --Shak.Her elbows pinioned close upon her hips. --Cowper.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pinion'
- Pinion: A pinion is a round gear used in several applications: the pinion was rather large In many cases, such as remote control led toy s, the ...
- Rack and pinion: A rack and pinion is a type of linear actuator that comprises a pair of gear s which convert rotational motion into linear motion. ...
- Pinioning: Pinioning is the act of surgically removing the pinion joint , the joint of a bird 's wing farthest from the body, to prevent flight. ...
- Pinion (disambiguation): Pinion may refer to: Pinion , the smallest gear in a gear drive train " "Pinion", a song by Nine Inch Nails from the 1992 EP Broken ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pinion'