Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pinion'
Pinion Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a gear with a small number of teeth designed to mesh with alarger wheel or rack
- any of the larger wing or tail feathers of a bird [syn: flightfeather, quill, quill feather]
- wing of a bird [syn: pennon]v
- bind the arms of [syn: shackle]
- cut the wings off (of birds)
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, n. (Zo["o]l.)A moth of the genus Lithophane, as L. antennata, whoselarva bores large holes in young peaches and apples.
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, n. [OF. pignon a pen, F., gable, pinion (insense 5); cf. Sp. pi[~n]on pinion; fr. L. pinna pinnacle,feather, wing. See Pin a peg, and cf. Pen a feather,Pennat, Pennon.]
- A feather; a quill. --Shak.
- A wing, literal or figurative.Swift on his sooty pinions flits the gnome. --Pope.
- The joint of bird's wing most remote from the body.--Johnson.
- A fetter for the arm. --Ainsworth.
- (Mech.) A cogwheel with a small number of teeth, orleaves, adapted to engage with a larger wheel, or rack(see Rack); esp., such a wheel having its leaves formedof the substance of the arbor or spindle which is itsaxis.Lantern pinion. See under Lantern.Pinion wire, wire fluted longitudinally, for making thepinions of clocks and watches. It is formed by being drawnthrough holes of the shape required for the leaves orteeth of the pinions.
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pinioned; p. pr. & vb.n. Pinioning.]
- To bind or confine the wings of; to confine by binding thewings. --Bacon.
- To disable by cutting off the pinion joint. --Johnson.
- To disable or restrain, as a person, by binding the arms,esp. by binding the arms to the body. --Shak.Her elbows pinioned close upon her hips. --Cowper.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pinion'
- Pinion: A pinion is a round gear used in several applications: the pinion was rather large In many cases, such as remote control led toy s, the ...
- Rack and pinion: A rack and pinion is a type of linear actuator that comprises a pair of gear s which convert rotational motion into linear motion. ...
- Pinioning: Pinioning is the act of surgically removing the pinion joint , the joint of a bird 's wing farthest from the body, to prevent flight. ...
- Pinion (disambiguation): Pinion may refer to: Pinion , the smallest gear in a gear drive train " "Pinion", a song by Nine Inch Nails from the 1992 EP Broken ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pinion'
Pinion Sample Sentences in News
- Bradley Pinion, secret weapon? Yes, the punter matters at Clemson
CLEMSON - Welcome back to Whose Line, where everything's made up and the points don't matter. Just like the punter at Clemson. Right? Wrong. So wrong. Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'
- Gold Standard Moves to Resource Estimation at Pinion Oxide Gold Deposit, Carlin Trend Nevada
Gold Standard Ventures Corp. today announced assay results of the final three holes from the Pinion Phase 1 drilling program at its 100%-owned/controlled Railroad-Pinion Project in Nevada's Carlin Trend. ... Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'
- More Than 3,000 Marijuana Plants Seized In San Bernardino County
Deputies Thursday announced the seizure of 3,389 marijuana plants from various communities located in Phelan and Pinion Hills. Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'