Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Euphemism'
- euphemismn : an inoffensive expression that is substituted for one thatis considered offensive [ant: dysphemism]
- Euphemism \Eu"phe*mism\, n. [Gr. ? fr. ? to use word of a goodomen; ? well + ? to speak: cf. F. euph['e]misme. See Fame.](Rhet.)A figure in which a harts or indelicate word or expression issoftened; a way of describing an offensive thing by aninoffensive expression; a mild name for somethingdisagreeable.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Euphemism'
A euphemism is a substitution of an expression that may offend or suggest something unpleasant to the receiver with an agreeable or less offensive expression, or to make it less troublesome for the speaker, as in the case of doublespeak. The deployment of euphemisms is a central aspect within the public application of political correctness.
It may also substitute a description of something or someone to avoid revealing secret, holy, or sacred names to the uninitiated, or to obscure the identity of the subject of a conversation from potential eavesdroppers. Some euphemisms are intended to amuse.
When a phrase is used as a euphemism, it often becomes a metaphor whose literal meaning is dropped. Euphemisms may be used to hide unpleasant or disturbing ideas, even when the literal term for them is not necessarily offensive. This type of euphemism is used in public relations and politics, where it is sometimes called doublespeak. Sometimes, using euphemisms is equated to politeness. There are also superstitious euphemisms, based (consciously or subconsciously) on the idea that words have the power to bring bad fortune (for example, not speaking the word "autism"; see etymology and common examples below), and there are religious euphemisms, based on the idea that some words are holy, or that some words are spiritually imperiling (taboo; see etymology).[See more about Euphemism at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Euphemism'
Euphemism Sample Sentences in News
- ANTHONY STASTNY: The hits keep on coming - just not as often
The NCAA, in its finite wisdom, is suggesting that college football teams limit contact during practices while the football season is underway. Contact is a euphemism football uses for collision. Read more on this news related to 'Euphemism'
- More People Saw These Famous Sex Tapes Than Sex Tape!
Looks like Kim Kardashian and Ray J could teach Cameron Diaz and Jason Segel a thing or two! The newly released movie Sex Tape opened up wide (ew, not like that) last weekend, and its performance at the box office (box office is not a euphemism) was a little soft! The flick earned only $15 million, and [...] Read more on this news related to 'Euphemism'
- Trudeau's carbon tax will hurt Canada's economy
“Carbon pricing” is simply a euphemism for “carbon tax.” Read more on this news related to 'Euphemism'