Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Construction'
- the act of constructing or building something; "during theconstruction we had to take a detour"; "his hobby wasthe building of boats" [syn: building]
- the commercial activity involved in constructing buildings;"their main business is home construction"; "workers inthe building trades" [syn: building]
- a thing constructed; a complex construction or entity; "thestructure consisted of a series of arches"; "she wore herhair in an amazing construction of whirls and ribbons"[syn: structure]
- a group of words that form a constituent of a sentence andare considered as a single unit; "I concluded from hisawkward constructions that he was a foreigner" [syn: grammaticalconstruction, expression] [ant: misconstruction]
- the creation of a construct; the process of combining ideasinto a congruous object of thought [syn: mental synthesis]
- an interpretation of a text or action; "they put anunsympathetic construction on his conduct" [syn: twist]
- drawing a figure satisfying certain conditions as part ofsolving a problem or proving a theorem; "the assignmentwas to make a construction that could be used in provingthe Pythagorean theorem"
- Construction \Con*struc"tion\, n. [L. constructio: cf. F.construction.]
- The process or art of constructing; the act of building;erection; the act of devising and forming; fabrication;composition.
- The form or manner of building or putting together theparts of anything; structure; arrangement.An astrolabe of peculiar construction. --Whewell.
- (Gram.) The arrangement and connection of words in asentence; syntactical arrangement.Some particles . . . in certain constructions havethe sense of a whole sentence contained in them.--Locke.
- The method of construing, interpreting, or explaining adeclaration or fact; an attributed sense or meaning;understanding; explanation; interpretation; sense.Any person . . . might, by the sort of constructionthat would be put on this act, become liable to thepenalties of treason. --Hallam.Strictly, the term [construction] signifiesdetermining the meaning and proper effect oflanguage by a consideration of the subject matterand attendant circumstances in connection with the
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Construction'
In the fields of architecture and civil engineering, construction is a process that consists of the building or assembling of infrastructure. Far from being a single activity, large scale construction is a feat of human multitasking. Normally, the job is managed by a project manager, and supervised by a construction manager, design engineer, construction engineer, or project architect.
For the successful execution of a project, effective planning is essential. Those involved with the design and execution of the infrastructure in question must consider the environmental impact of the job, the successful scheduling, budgeting, construction site safety, availability of building materials, logistics, inconvenience to the public caused by construction delays, and bidding, etc.
In general, there are three types of construction:[See more about Construction at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Construction'
'Construction' in famous quotation sentence
* People just naturally assume that dogs would be incapable of working together on some sort of construction project. But what about just a big field full of holes - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* When God temporarily rolled up the building plans of prophecy and placed them aside, He made known a secret set of plans. With this program came a completely new set of blueprints. According to the counsel of His will, He had predetermined to call Paul as the masterbuilder of the project. So then, the instructions for our building program are found in Paul's epistles. Little wonder the apostles says 'I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon' (1 Cor. 310). It is essential to use Pauline construction materials (grace doctrines), simply because someday soon the Building Inspector will examine our workmanship to determine if we followed His codes. - Paul Sadler
Click here for more related quotations on 'Construction'
Construction Sample Sentences in News
- US construction spending up 1.8 percent in July
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. construction spending staged a strong rebound in July, rising by the largest amount in more than two years. All major categories of construction showed gains in an encouraging sign that spending on building projects will help boost the economy in the second half of this year. Read more on this news related to 'Construction'
- Manufacturing, construction data point to sturdy growth
"Things continue to fall into place for our view that growth should accelerate in the year's back half," said Dan Greenhaus, chief strategist at BTIG in New York. The Institute for Supply Management (ISM) said its index of national factory activity rose to 59.0 last month, the highest reading since March 2011, from 57.1 in July. Carl Riccadonna, a se Read more on this news related to 'Construction'
- U.S. construction spending hits highest level in 5-1/2 years
Construction spending increased 1.8 percent to an annual rate of $981.31 billion, the highest level since December 2008, the Commerce Department said on Tuesday. July's percentage increase was the largest since May 2012 and reflected gains across all categories, with the exception of federal government. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast construction sp Read more on this news related to 'Construction'