Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Against'
- Against \A*gainst"\ (?; 277), prep. [OE. agens, ageynes, AS.ongegn. The s is adverbial, orig. a genitive ending. SeeAgain.]
- Abreast; opposite to; facing; towards; as, against themouth of a river; -- in this sense often preceded by over.Jacob saw the angels of God come against him.--Tyndale.
- From an opposite direction so as to strike or come incontact with; in contact with; upon; as, hail beatsagainst the roof.
- In opposition to, whether the opposition is of sentimentor of action; on the other side; counter to; incontrariety to; hence, adverse to; as, against reason;against law; to run a race against time.The gate would have been shut against her.--Fielding.An argument against the use of steam. --Tyndale.
- By of before the time that; in preparation for; so as tobe ready for the time when. [Archaic or Dial.]Urijah the priest made it, against King Ahaz camefrom Damascus. --2 Kings xvi.11.Against the sun, in a direction contrary to that in whichthe sun appears to move.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Against'
Against is the seventh studio album by Brazilian heavy metal band Sepultura, released in 1998 through Roadrunner Records. It is the band's first release with new frontman Derrick Green, who replaced group founder Max Cavalera in 1997.
Like Roots that preceded it, not only does the album have a variety of guest musicians, but also incorporates a great deal of tribal influences — this time Japanese elements with the assistance of Japanese Taiko group, Kodo.
The songs "Against," "Choke" and "Tribus" were released as singles, with a music video accompanying "Choke." The video featured footage from the Barulho Contra Fome (Noise Against Hunger) concert that was the first gig of the Against tour. This performance included guest appearances from the Xavantes Tribe who'd featured on Roots (as documented in the "Choke" video) as well as Mike Patton, Jason Newsted, Carlinhos Brown, original Sepultura guitarist Jairo Guedz and Coffin Joe (whose "blessing" of the band performed during this concert turned up as a b-side entitled "Prenuncio" on the Tribus EP).[See more about Against at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Against'
'Against' in famous quotation sentence
* Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of the citizens to keep and bear arms. This is not to say that firearms should not be carefully used and that definite safety rules of precaution should not be taught and enforced. But the right of the citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government and one more safeguard against a tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible. - Hubert Humphrey
* Science is a mechanism, a way of trying to improve your knowledge of nature. It's a system for testing your thoughts against the universe, and seeing whether they match. - Isaac Asimov
Click here for more related quotations on 'Against'
Against Sample Sentences in News
- Trump Files Ethics Complaint Against the 'Dumbest Attorney General'
Donald Trump filed an ethics complaint against New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman on Tuesday morning. Trump hasn't been too happy with Schneiderman — the AG sued "Trump University" for allegedly running a scam university that hurt at least 5,000 students across the country. Schneiderman wants Trump to cough up $40 million in restitution. Read more on this news related to 'Against'
- Investors Bet Against the Yen
Wagers that the Japanese currency will slide against the U.S. dollar have surged to the highest amount this year and are within striking distance of levels not seen since 2007, according to the latest data from the Commodity Futures Trading Commission, which tracks positions of some hedge funds and other speculators. The yen may suffer in particular, they believe, Read more on this news related to 'Against'
- Interfaith community holds prayer rally for Int'l Day Against Trafficking
December 12 marks the International Day Against Trafficking (IDAT). In response to this growing threat, the Philippine Inter-Faith Movement Against Human Trafficking (PIMAHT), an assembly of the three largest church councils in the country, is taking steps to raise awareness and combat trafficking from a grassroots level with ... Read more on this news related to 'Against'