Write Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- communicate or express by writing; "Please write to me every week"
- record data on a computer; "boot-up instructions are written on the hard disk"
- communicate (with) in writing; "Write her soon, please!"
- communicate by letter; "He wrote that he would be coming soon"
- mark or trace on a surface; "The artist wrote Chinese characters on a big piece of white paper"
- produce a literary work; "She composed a poem"; "He wrote four novels"
- write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word); "He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
- write music; "Beethoven composed nine symphonies"
- have (one''s written work) issued for publication; "How many books did Georges Simenon write?"; "She published 25 books during her long career"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Write'?
Write Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Writing is the act of recording language on a visual medium using a set of symbols. The symbols must be known to others, so that the text may be read.
A text may also use other visual systems, such as illustrations and decorations. These are not called writing, but may help the message work. Usually, all educated people in a country use the same writing system to record the same language. To be able to read and write is to be literate.
Writing differs from speech because the readers need not be present at the time. We can read writing from long ago, and from different parts of the world. It works across time and space. It stores and communicates knowledge. Writing is one of the greatest inventions of the human species. It was invented after people had settled in towns, and after agriculture had started. Writing dates from about 3,300BC, which is over 5000 years ago, in the Middle East.
'Write' example sentence in quotations
* One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive hour. Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* I wish I could write well enough to write about aircraft. Faulkner did it very well in Pylon but you cannot do something someone else has done though you might have done it if they hadn't. - Ernest Hemingway
Click here for more related quotations on 'Write'
Write Sample Sentences in News
- Y=X factor: how to write the perfect song
Can science help us write a hit? Mezzo soprano and physicist Christine Rice goes in search of a formula for the most popular songs – from Handel to Weill to Harry Styles I remember seeing a surprisingly poignant documentary about the Take That lads made in the lull between their initial success and their resurgence. With Robbie ’s solo career riding high (befo Read more on this news related to 'Write'
- Readers Write: Why Congress is gridlocked; taking a balanced perspective on Congress
The Nov. 3 cover story, “How to get Congress running again,” presented some very valuable ideas for improving US congressional rules and procedures. In order to make a major impact, however, we will have to attack the deeper roots of our democracy’s problems. The most important task is improving the quality of our national dialogue and debate, and the key fa Read more on this news related to 'Write'
- 'I felt as if I had become fear itself': life after a stroke at 34
When film-maker Lotje Sodderland had a severe stroke, she lost the ability to speak, read, write or think coherently. Could she learn to live – and love – with a broken brain? I woke to the sound of nurses by my bed, discussing their Christmas plans. I thought I was talking to them, but they didn’t reply. I was aware of an existence, a me within my body. Had Read more on this news related to 'Write'