Write Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- communicate or express by writing; "Please write to me every week"
- record data on a computer; "boot-up instructions are written on the hard disk"
- communicate (with) in writing; "Write her soon, please!"
- communicate by letter; "He wrote that he would be coming soon"
- mark or trace on a surface; "The artist wrote Chinese characters on a big piece of white paper"
- produce a literary work; "She composed a poem"; "He wrote four novels"
- write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word); "He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
- write music; "Beethoven composed nine symphonies"
- have (one''s written work) issued for publication; "How many books did Georges Simenon write?"; "She published 25 books during her long career"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Write'?
Write Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Writing is the act of recording language on a visual medium using a set of symbols. The symbols must be known to others, so that the text may be read.
A text may also use other visual systems, such as illustrations and decorations. These are not called writing, but may help the message work. Usually, all educated people in a country use the same writing system to record the same language. To be able to read and write is to be literate.
Writing differs from speech because the readers need not be present at the time. We can read writing from long ago, and from different parts of the world. It works across time and space. It stores and communicates knowledge. Writing is one of the greatest inventions of the human species. It was invented after people had settled in towns, and after agriculture had started. Writing dates from about 3,300BC, which is over 5000 years ago, in the Middle East.
'Write' example sentence in quotations
* One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive hour. Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* I wish I could write well enough to write about aircraft. Faulkner did it very well in Pylon but you cannot do something someone else has done though you might have done it if they hadn't. - Ernest Hemingway
Click here for more related quotations on 'Write'