Village Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a community of people smaller than a town
- a settlement smaller than a town
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village'' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a community of people smaller than a town ,
- a settlement smaller than a town ,
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Village'?
Village Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A village is a place where people live, normally in the countryside. It is usually larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town or city. In some places, it may be a kind of local government.
In the past, villages were where most people lived. After the Industrial Revolution, when people started making a lot of things in factories, people lived more in towns. Moving to towns is called urbanization.
Words and phrases related to 'Village'
'Village' example sentence in quotations
* If you would be known, and not know, vegetate in a village If you would know, and not be known, live in a city. - Charles Caleb Colton
* The shades of night were falling fast,As though an Alpine village passedA youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice,A banner with the strange device,ExcelsiorHis brow was sad his eye beneath,Flashed like a falchion from its sheath,And like a silver clarion rungThe accents of that unknown tongue,Excelsior - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Click here for more related quotations on 'Village'
Village Sample Sentences in News
- VIDEO: Village's WW1 cross rededicated
A village dubbed the most patriotic in England has had its World War One memorial cross rededicated to mark the war's centenary. Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Village Nurseries Landscape Centers Launches Redesigned Website As Creative Tool for Landscape Professionals
With the launch of Village Nurseries Landscape Centers’ redesigned website , landscape architects, contractors and designers now have a convenie Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Village Creek community gathers for Renew Our Rivers cleanup
The Village Creek community celebrated its eighth cleanup in association with Renew Our Rivers, an Alabama Power environmental conservation program. Community volunteers pick up trash along village creek. Read more on this news related to 'Village'