Village Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a community of people smaller than a town
- a settlement smaller than a town
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village'' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a community of people smaller than a town ,
- a settlement smaller than a town ,
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Village'?
Village Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A village is a place where people live, normally in the countryside. It is usually larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town or city. In some places, it may be a kind of local government.
In the past, villages were where most people lived. After the Industrial Revolution, when people started making a lot of things in factories, people lived more in towns. Moving to towns is called urbanization.
Words and phrases related to 'Village'
'Village' example sentence in quotations
* If you would be known, and not know, vegetate in a village If you would know, and not be known, live in a city. - Charles Caleb Colton
* The shades of night were falling fast,As though an Alpine village passedA youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice,A banner with the strange device,ExcelsiorHis brow was sad his eye beneath,Flashed like a falchion from its sheath,And like a silver clarion rungThe accents of that unknown tongue,Excelsior - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Click here for more related quotations on 'Village'
Village Sample Sentences in News
- In Darfur village, Sudan probes claims of 'mass rape'
Beneath one of the thorny trees dotting the village of Tabit, Darfur's prosecutor general sat interviewing women about a report Sudanese troops arrived last month and carried out a mass rape. Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Pikit village now a ‘no man’s land’
Kidapawan City – A remote village in Pikit town in North Cotabato has been transformed into a “no man’s land” after an armed Moro clan clashed with another Moro group two days ago.Both clans belong to armed Moro rebel groups, reports from Pikit municipal police said.Tahira Kalantongan, social welfare officer of Pikit town, said almost 100 percent of the to Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- At Old Sturbridge Village, Life Is Part Acting, Part History, and Lots of Butter Churning
In her perfect world, Victoria Belisle would rise at 4 a.m. and spend the day milking cows, churning butter, and feeding chickens. She’s the most dedicated interpreter at Old Sturbridge Village. Read more on this news related to 'Village'