Village Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a community of people smaller than a town
- a settlement smaller than a town
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village'' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a community of people smaller than a town ,
- a settlement smaller than a town ,
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Village'?
Village Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A village is a place where people live, normally in the countryside. It is usually larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town or city. In some places, it may be a kind of local government.
In the past, villages were where most people lived. After the Industrial Revolution, when people started making a lot of things in factories, people lived more in towns. Moving to towns is called urbanization.
Words and phrases related to 'Village'
'Village' example sentence in quotations
* If you would be known, and not know, vegetate in a village If you would know, and not be known, live in a city. - Charles Caleb Colton
* The shades of night were falling fast,As though an Alpine village passedA youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice,A banner with the strange device,ExcelsiorHis brow was sad his eye beneath,Flashed like a falchion from its sheath,And like a silver clarion rungThe accents of that unknown tongue,Excelsior - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Click here for more related quotations on 'Village'
Village Sample Sentences in News
- Feds to bring indoor plumbing to Alaska village
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A remote Alaska Native village where only half the homes have indoor plumbing is among rural communities nationwide that will receive upgrades to water and wastewater systems with more than $352 million in grants and loans from the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Islamic State militants seize Iraq village, press assault on Yazidis
By Saif Sameer and Ned Parker BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Islamic State wrested a Sunni Muslim village in western Iraq on Thursday from tribal defenders who put up weeks of fierce resistance, and the insurgents tightened a siege of the Yazidi minority on a mountain in the north. The attacks showed Islamic State's continued operating resilience despite air strikes by U Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- USDA Brings Indoor Plumbing to Alaska Village
Alaska village gets indoor plumbing as USDA announces $352 million for rural water systems Read more on this news related to 'Village'