Village Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a community of people smaller than a town
- a settlement smaller than a town
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village'' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a community of people smaller than a town ,
- a settlement smaller than a town ,
- a mainly residential district of Manhattan; `the Village' became a home for many writers and artists in the 20th century
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Village'?
Village Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A village is a place where people live, normally in the countryside. It is usually larger than a hamlet and smaller than a town or city. In some places, it may be a kind of local government.
In the past, villages were where most people lived. After the Industrial Revolution, when people started making a lot of things in factories, people lived more in towns. Moving to towns is called urbanization.
Words and phrases related to 'Village'
'Village' example sentence in quotations
* If you would be known, and not know, vegetate in a village If you would know, and not be known, live in a city. - Charles Caleb Colton
* The shades of night were falling fast,As though an Alpine village passedA youth, who bore, 'mid snow and ice,A banner with the strange device,ExcelsiorHis brow was sad his eye beneath,Flashed like a falchion from its sheath,And like a silver clarion rungThe accents of that unknown tongue,Excelsior - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Click here for more related quotations on 'Village'
Village Sample Sentences in News
- Village Cines and Cines Multiplex Argentina select Doremi for digital conversions
Village Cines will complete its digital conversion by the end of 2014 using Doremi IMBs and servers Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Boutique retirement village planned for Shotover Country
Plans for a high quality boutique retirement village at Queenstown’s Shotover Country have been announced following the purchase of a key site in the subdivision by an established New Zealand retirement living operator. Shotover Country Sales Manager Sharyn Stalker says it is an exciting development for the Wakatipu, which in spite of several proposals for retir Read more on this news related to 'Village'
- Seniors in Laguna Woods Village are craving medical marijuana
Inside Laguna Woods Village, retirees with stiff knees and failing eyesight make ready use of wellness centers and medical offices scattered throughout nearby strip malls. Read more on this news related to 'Village'