Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Vestal'
Vestal Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- of or relating to Vesta; "vestal virgin"
- in a state of sexual virginity; "pure and vestal modesty"; "a spinster or virgin lady"; "men have decreed that their women must be pure and virginal" [syn: pure, virgin, virginal, virtuous] n : a chaste woman
- Vestal \Ves"tal\, a. [L. Vestalis belonging to Vesta, vestal.
Of or pertaining to Vesta, the virgin goddess of the hearth;
hence, pure; chaste.
- Vestal \Ves"tal\, n. [L. Vestalis (sc. virgo): cf. F. vestale.
See Vestal, a.]
- (Rom. Antiq.) A virgin consecrated to Vesta, and to the service of watching the sacred fire, which was to be perpetually kept burning upon her altar. Note: The Vestals were originally four, but afterward six, in number. Their term of service lasted thirty years, the period of admission being from the sixth to the tenth year of the candidate's age.
- A virgin; a woman pure and chaste; also, a nun. How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Vestal'
- Vestal: Vestal can refer to: Pertaining to Vesta (mythology), a Roman goddess, the Sacred fire of Vesta , or the Temple of Vesta Vestal Virgin ...
- Vestal Virgin: In ancient Roman religion , the Vestals or Vestal Virgins (Vestales, singular ... List of well-known vestal virgins Pre-Roman and Early Roman ...
- Vestal, New York: Vestal is a town within Broome County in the Southern Tier of New York , and ... External links : com/ny/vestal-ny. Early history of Vestal, NY ...
- USS Vestal (AR-4): USS Vestal (AR-4) was a collier (or coal ship), later refitted as a fleet repair ... References: mil/danfs/v2/vestal. htm | http://www. ...
- Vestal Goodman: Vestal Goodman (December 13, 1929 – December 27, 2003) was a singer who performed in the Southern Gospel genre for more than half a ...
- Vestal Senior High School: Vestal Senior High School is part of the Vestal Central School District which encompasses 57 | sqmi | km2 just ... External links : vestal. stier. ...
- Vestal Review: Vestal Review is the oldest magazine dedicated to flash fiction . ... com/2006/02/22/interview-with-mark-budman-of-vestal-review/ Interview ...
- The Vestal: The Vestal - Grand ballet in 3 Acts-4 Scenes, with choreography by Marius Petipa and music by Mikhail Ivanov . The ballet was first ...
Words and phrases related to 'Vestal'
Vestal Sample Sentences in News
- Vestal holds off M-E for Three-peat
The Vestal Golden Bears held off a late surge by Maine-Endwell to win 4-3 and claim their 3rd straight BCHSHA Title. Senior Goaltender Nick Nestlerode stopped 20 of M-E's 23 shots in the victory. The Spartans got off to an early start on Jeremy Wilber's goal, but Troy Harding answered less than a minute later for Vestal. Then, in the second, Kyle Balmer pu Read more on this news related to 'Vestal'
- Vestal Students Discover Chemistry Through Magic
A group of students at Vestal High School put on a chemistry magic show for fourth graders. The high schoolers either already completed chemistry or are currently taking it. In one of the tricks, a student pretended to set his hand on fire, although only the chemical on his hand burned. There were also flame tests where different elements were burned and each sho Read more on this news related to 'Vestal'
- Ageless Medicine opens in Vestal
VESTAL — A new medical weight loss and skin/aesthetics practice, called Ageless Medicine, recently opened in Vestal. Read more on this news related to 'Vestal'