Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Vestal'
Vestal Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- of or relating to Vesta; "vestal virgin"
- in a state of sexual virginity; "pure and vestal modesty"; "a spinster or virgin lady"; "men have decreed that their women must be pure and virginal" [syn: pure, virgin, virginal, virtuous] n : a chaste woman
- Vestal \Ves"tal\, a. [L. Vestalis belonging to Vesta, vestal.
Of or pertaining to Vesta, the virgin goddess of the hearth;
hence, pure; chaste.
- Vestal \Ves"tal\, n. [L. Vestalis (sc. virgo): cf. F. vestale.
See Vestal, a.]
- (Rom. Antiq.) A virgin consecrated to Vesta, and to the service of watching the sacred fire, which was to be perpetually kept burning upon her altar. Note: The Vestals were originally four, but afterward six, in number. Their term of service lasted thirty years, the period of admission being from the sixth to the tenth year of the candidate's age.
- A virgin; a woman pure and chaste; also, a nun. How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Vestal'
- Vestal: Vestal can refer to: Pertaining to Vesta (mythology), a Roman goddess, the Sacred fire of Vesta , or the Temple of Vesta Vestal Virgin ...
- Vestal Virgin: In ancient Roman religion , the Vestals or Vestal Virgins (Vestales, singular ... List of well-known vestal virgins Pre-Roman and Early Roman ...
- Vestal, New York: Vestal is a town within Broome County in the Southern Tier of New York , and ... External links : com/ny/vestal-ny. Early history of Vestal, NY ...
- USS Vestal (AR-4): USS Vestal (AR-4) was a collier (or coal ship), later refitted as a fleet repair ... References: mil/danfs/v2/vestal. htm | http://www. ...
- Vestal Goodman: Vestal Goodman (December 13, 1929 – December 27, 2003) was a singer who performed in the Southern Gospel genre for more than half a ...
- Vestal Senior High School: Vestal Senior High School is part of the Vestal Central School District which encompasses 57 | sqmi | km2 just ... External links : vestal. stier. ...
- Vestal Review: Vestal Review is the oldest magazine dedicated to flash fiction . ... com/2006/02/22/interview-with-mark-budman-of-vestal-review/ Interview ...
- The Vestal: The Vestal - Grand ballet in 3 Acts-4 Scenes, with choreography by Marius Petipa and music by Mikhail Ivanov . The ballet was first ...
Words and phrases related to 'Vestal'
Vestal Sample Sentences in News
- David S. Vestal
PHOTO Read more on this news related to 'Vestal'
- Crews Work to Fix Gas Leak in Vestal
The Vestal Fire Department was hard at work Thursday morning after a gas leak was reported. They say it happened at Westminster Garden on Old Vestal Road when a contracted company Tri-County Auger Pole hit a three inch main line underground. Old Vestal Road was closed from Bunn Hill Road to Jensen Road to avoid any serious accidents. "Well you have explosions Read more on this news related to 'Vestal'
- Vestal pulls away from Owego to win Class A soccer crown
Loading Photo Galleries ... Owego's Hunter Buchmann, left, and Vestal's Rachel Wallace fight for control of the ball in the Section 4 Class A final Wednesday night at Binghamton Alumni Stadium. Wallace scored a goal in the Golden Bears' 5-0 victory. Read more on this news related to 'Vestal'