Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Vestal'
Vestal Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- of or relating to Vesta; "vestal virgin"
- in a state of sexual virginity; "pure and vestal modesty"; "a spinster or virgin lady"; "men have decreed that their women must be pure and virginal" [syn: pure, virgin, virginal, virtuous] n : a chaste woman
- Vestal \Ves"tal\, a. [L. Vestalis belonging to Vesta, vestal.
Of or pertaining to Vesta, the virgin goddess of the hearth;
hence, pure; chaste.
- Vestal \Ves"tal\, n. [L. Vestalis (sc. virgo): cf. F. vestale.
See Vestal, a.]
- (Rom. Antiq.) A virgin consecrated to Vesta, and to the service of watching the sacred fire, which was to be perpetually kept burning upon her altar. Note: The Vestals were originally four, but afterward six, in number. Their term of service lasted thirty years, the period of admission being from the sixth to the tenth year of the candidate's age.
- A virgin; a woman pure and chaste; also, a nun. How happy is the blameless vestal's lot! --Pope.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Vestal'
- Vestal: Vestal can refer to: Pertaining to Vesta (mythology), a Roman goddess, the Sacred fire of Vesta , or the Temple of Vesta Vestal Virgin ...
- Vestal Virgin: In ancient Roman religion , the Vestals or Vestal Virgins (Vestales, singular ... List of well-known vestal virgins Pre-Roman and Early Roman ...
- Vestal, New York: Vestal is a town within Broome County in the Southern Tier of New York , and ... External links : com/ny/vestal-ny. Early history of Vestal, NY ...
- USS Vestal (AR-4): USS Vestal (AR-4) was a collier (or coal ship), later refitted as a fleet repair ... References: mil/danfs/v2/vestal. htm | http://www. ...
- Vestal Goodman: Vestal Goodman (December 13, 1929 – December 27, 2003) was a singer who performed in the Southern Gospel genre for more than half a ...
- Vestal Senior High School: Vestal Senior High School is part of the Vestal Central School District which encompasses 57 | sqmi | km2 just ... External links : vestal. stier. ...
- Vestal Review: Vestal Review is the oldest magazine dedicated to flash fiction . ... com/2006/02/22/interview-with-mark-budman-of-vestal-review/ Interview ...
- The Vestal: The Vestal - Grand ballet in 3 Acts-4 Scenes, with choreography by Marius Petipa and music by Mikhail Ivanov . The ballet was first ...
Words and phrases related to 'Vestal'
Vestal Sample Sentences in News
- Training Camp Tour: New-look Golden Bears confident on offense
Vestal, NY (WBNG Binghamton) In Class A in Section IV, the sectional final is already decided. With only two teams in the classification, it'll be Union-Endicott against Vestal but there's plenty of time in between to prepare. Read more on this news related to 'Vestal'
- Vestal Restaurant, Endicott School Team to Help Students with School Supplies
The school received everything from the basics of notebooks and pencils, to folders and other necessary supplies. Read more on this news related to 'Vestal'
- Vestal UPS store hit by data breach
Vestal, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The UPS Store has notified customers of a data breach that has affected 51 of its stores, including a location on the Vestal Parkway. Read more on this news related to 'Vestal'