Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Vegetative'
Vegetative Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- of or relating to an activity that is passive and monotonous; "a dull vegetative lifestyle" [syn: vegetive]
- used of involuntary bodily functions; "vegetative functions such as digestion or growth or circulation"
- (of reproduction) characterized by asexual processes [syn: vegetal]
- composed of vegetation or plants; "regions rich in vegetal products"; "vegetational cover"; "the decaying vegetative layer covering a forest floor" [syn: vegetal, vegetational]
- Vegetative \Veg"e*ta*tive\, a. [Cf. F. v['e]g['e]tatif.]
- Growing, or having the power of growing, as plants; capable of vegetating.
- Having the power to produce growth in plants; as, the vegetative properties of soil.
- (Biol.) Having relation to growth or nutrition; partaking of simple growth and enlargement of the systems of nutrition, apart from the sensorial or distinctively animal functions; vegetal. -- Veg"e*ta*tive*ly, adv. -- Veg"e*ta*tive*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Vegetative'
- Vegetative: Vegetative describes vegetation . Vegetative may also refer to: ... Persistent vegetative state , a condition of people with severe brain damage ...
- Vegetative reproduction: Vegetative reproduction (vegetative propagation, vegetative multiplication, vegetative cloning) is a form of asexual reproduction in ...
- Persistent vegetative state: A persistent vegetative state is a condition of patients with severe brain damage who were in a coma , but progressed to a state of ...
- Vegetative treatment system: A Vegetative Treatment System (VTS) is a combination of treatment steps for ... A VTA is commonly confused with vegetative buffer (or filter) ...
- Reversed vegetative symptoms: Reversed vegetative symptoms include only oversleeping (hypersomnia ) and overeating (hyperphagia ), as compared to insomnia and loss of ...
- Permanent vegetative cover: Permanent vegetative cover refers to trees, perennial bunchgrass es and grassland s, legume s, and shrubs with an expected life span of at ...
- Single Vegetative Obstruction Model: The ITU Single Vegetative Obstruction Model is a Radio propagation model that ... The single vegetative obstruction model is formally ...
Words and phrases related to 'Vegetative'
Vegetative Sample Sentences in News
- Brain zap rouses people from years of vegetative state
People in a vegetative state showed signs of awareness after electric brain stimulation – and minimally conscious people were able to communicate again Read more on this news related to 'Vegetative'
- Brain Zap Can 'Wake' Nearly-Comatose Patients
Electrical Stimulation Can Rouse Patients From Vegetative State, Researchers Say Read more on this news related to 'Vegetative'
- New technology changes the euthanasia debate
Technological development introduces yet another ethical dilemma: how new developments in the ability to communicate with vegetative patients changes the euthanasia debate. Read more on this news related to 'Vegetative'