Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Unequal'
- not equal in amount; "they distributed unlike (or unequal) sums to the various charities" [syn: unlike] [ant: like]
- poorly balanced or matched in quantity or value or measure [ant: equal]
- Unequal \Un*e"qual\, a. [Cf. Inequal.]
- Not equal; not matched; not of the same size, length, breadth, quantity, strength, talents, acquirements, age, station, or the like; as, the fingers are of unequal length; peers and commoners are unequal in rank.
- Ill balanced or matched; disproportioned; hence, not equitable; partial; unjust; unfair. Against unequal arms to fight in pain. --Milton. Jerome, a very unequal relator of the opinion of his adversaries. --John Worthington. To punish me for what you make me do Seems much unequal. --Shak.
- Not uniform; not equable; irregular; uneven; as, unequal pulsations; an unequal poem.
- Not adequate or sufficient; inferior; as, the man was unequal to the emergency; the timber was unequal to the sudden strain.
- (Bot.) Not having the two sides or the parts symmetrical.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Unequal'
In mathematics, an inequality is a statement how the relative size or order of two objects, or about whether they are the same or not (See also: equality).
In each statement above, a is not equal to b. These relations are known as strict inequalities. The notation a < b may also be read as "a is strictly less than b".
In contrast to strict inequalities, there are two types of inequality statements that are not strict:
An additional use of the notation is to show that one quantity is much greater than another, normally by several orders of magnitude.[See more about Unequal at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Unequal'
'Unequal' in famous quotation sentence
* The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries. - Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill
Click here for more related quotations on 'Unequal'
Unequal Sample Sentences in News
- Income inequality: Among US cities, bigger ones are more unequal
The report, published Thursday, confirms what US census data have long suggested: All cities have inequality in terms of their residents' incomes, but some of most economically vibrant, largest cities, such as Boston and New York, have much more inequality than others. “It turns out that big cities are more unequal places than the rest of the nation,” says Read more on this news related to 'Unequal'
- Unequal Technologies Unveils Concealed Head Protection for Baseball
GLEN MILLS, Pa., Feb. 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Unequal® Technologies, the leading provider of customized, concealed sports protection, is unveiling its latest innovation in head protection for baseball – the Unequal UNCAP™ – to MLB® players and equipment managers at spring training. The UNCAP, which is lightweight, aerodynamic protection designed for catch Read more on this news related to 'Unequal'
- America's most unequal cities
And the most unequal city in America is... Atlanta! The rich earn nearly 19 times the poor. Read more on this news related to 'Unequal'