Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Unequal'
- not equal in amount; "they distributed unlike (or unequal) sums to the various charities" [syn: unlike] [ant: like]
- poorly balanced or matched in quantity or value or measure [ant: equal]
- Unequal \Un*e"qual\, a. [Cf. Inequal.]
- Not equal; not matched; not of the same size, length, breadth, quantity, strength, talents, acquirements, age, station, or the like; as, the fingers are of unequal length; peers and commoners are unequal in rank.
- Ill balanced or matched; disproportioned; hence, not equitable; partial; unjust; unfair. Against unequal arms to fight in pain. --Milton. Jerome, a very unequal relator of the opinion of his adversaries. --John Worthington. To punish me for what you make me do Seems much unequal. --Shak.
- Not uniform; not equable; irregular; uneven; as, unequal pulsations; an unequal poem.
- Not adequate or sufficient; inferior; as, the man was unequal to the emergency; the timber was unequal to the sudden strain.
- (Bot.) Not having the two sides or the parts symmetrical.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Unequal'
In mathematics, an inequality is a statement how the relative size or order of two objects, or about whether they are the same or not (See also: equality).
In each statement above, a is not equal to b. These relations are known as strict inequalities. The notation a < b may also be read as "a is strictly less than b".
In contrast to strict inequalities, there are two types of inequality statements that are not strict:
An additional use of the notation is to show that one quantity is much greater than another, normally by several orders of magnitude.[See more about Unequal at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Unequal'
'Unequal' in famous quotation sentence
* The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries. - Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill
Click here for more related quotations on 'Unequal'
Unequal Sample Sentences in News
- Trulia Identifies America's Most Unequal Places To Live
Trulia's Chief Economist Jed Kolko identifies America's most unequal places to live. Income inequality is highest in Fairfield County, CT, San Francisco, New York, Boston, and Detroit. Overall, the most imbalanced U.S. metros tend to have worse housing affordability and slower job growth. But the trend is clear: the gap between the rich and poor has increa Read more on this news related to 'Unequal'
- Unequal Pay for Equal Work: Fixing Ottawa's Pay Problem: C.D. Howe Institute
Unequal Pay for Equal Work: Fixing Ottawa's Pay Problem: C.D. Howe Institute Read more on this news related to 'Unequal'
- The Spirit Level authors: why society is more unequal than ever | Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett
Five years after The Spirit Level, authors Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett argue that research backs up their views on the iniquity of inequality A lot has happened in the five years since we published our book, The Spirit Level . New Labour were still perhaps too relaxed about people becoming "filthy rich". And there was an assumption that inequality Read more on this news related to 'Unequal'