Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Unequal'
- not equal in amount; "they distributed unlike (or unequal) sums to the various charities" [syn: unlike] [ant: like]
- poorly balanced or matched in quantity or value or measure [ant: equal]
- Unequal \Un*e"qual\, a. [Cf. Inequal.]
- Not equal; not matched; not of the same size, length, breadth, quantity, strength, talents, acquirements, age, station, or the like; as, the fingers are of unequal length; peers and commoners are unequal in rank.
- Ill balanced or matched; disproportioned; hence, not equitable; partial; unjust; unfair. Against unequal arms to fight in pain. --Milton. Jerome, a very unequal relator of the opinion of his adversaries. --John Worthington. To punish me for what you make me do Seems much unequal. --Shak.
- Not uniform; not equable; irregular; uneven; as, unequal pulsations; an unequal poem.
- Not adequate or sufficient; inferior; as, the man was unequal to the emergency; the timber was unequal to the sudden strain.
- (Bot.) Not having the two sides or the parts symmetrical.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Unequal'
In mathematics, an inequality is a statement how the relative size or order of two objects, or about whether they are the same or not (See also: equality).
In each statement above, a is not equal to b. These relations are known as strict inequalities. The notation a < b may also be read as "a is strictly less than b".
In contrast to strict inequalities, there are two types of inequality statements that are not strict:
An additional use of the notation is to show that one quantity is much greater than another, normally by several orders of magnitude.[See more about Unequal at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Unequal'
'Unequal' in famous quotation sentence
* The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings the inherent virtue of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries. - Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill
Click here for more related quotations on 'Unequal'
Unequal Sample Sentences in News
- Top lawyer decries unequal pay for women
Top lawyer decries unequal pay for women Fifty years after Congress banned sex discrimination in wages, it's inexcusable that women - including women at the highest levels of the legal profession - are still paid less than men for the same work, the American Bar Association's fifth female president told a San Francisco audience Friday. [...] Bellows, a Chi Read more on this news related to 'Unequal'
- Will unequal wealth distribution change?
Cenk Uygur, journalist David Sirota, The Guardian reporter Glenn Greenwald and BuzzFeed’s Michael Hastings break down why it’s so difficult to interrupt and change the disproportionate distribution of wealth in the US. - WATCH VIDEO Read more on this news related to 'Unequal'
- La. Senate rejects equal pay bill for women
The Louisiana Senate narrowly rejected a bill Wednesday that would have prohibited employers with at least 15 full-time workers in the state from paying unequal wages for the same job based on gender. ... Read more on this news related to 'Unequal'