Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Troop'
- a group of soldiers
- a cavalry unit corresponding to an infantry company
- a unit of girl or boy scouts [syn: scout troop, scout group}]
- an orderly crowd; "a troop of children" [syn: flock] v
- march in a procession; "the veterans paraded down the street" [syn: parade, promenade]
- move or march as if in a crowd; "They children trooped into the room"
- Troop \Troop\, n.
See Boy scout, above.
- Troop \Troop\, v. t.
To troop the colors or colours (Mil.), in the British
army, to perform a ceremony consisting essentially in
carrying the colors, accompained by the band and escort,
slowly before the troops drawn up in single file and
usually in a hollow square, as in London on the
sovereign's birthday. Trooper \Troop"er\, n.
A mounted policeman. [Australia]
Note: The black troopers of Queensland are a regiment of
aboriginal police, employed chiefly for dispersing wild
aborigines who encroach on sheep runs.
- Troop \Troop\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Trooped; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To move in numbers; to come or gather in crowds or troops. ``Armies . . . troop to their standard.'' --Milton.
- To march on; to go forward in haste. Nor do I, as an enemy to peace, Troop in the throngs of military men. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Troop'
Fireteam · Squad · Section · Platoon · Troop/Company/Battery · Battalion/Squadron · Regiment · Brigade · Division · Corps · Field army · Army group · Region · Theater
A troop is a military unit, originally a small force of cavalry, subordinate to a squadron and headed by the troop leader. In many armies a troop is the equivalent unit to the infantry section or platoon. Exceptions are the Royal Horse Artillery and the US Cavalry, where troop refers to an infantry company or artillery battery.
A cavalry soldier of private rank is called a trooper (abbreviated Tpr., not to be confused with trouper).
A related sense of the term troop refers to soldiers collectively, as in the troops; see Troop (disambiguation).[See more about Troop at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Troop'
'Troop' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Troop'
Troop Sample Sentences in News
- TROOP SURGE? US worries Russia plotting wider invasion of Ukraine
WITH RECENT ESTIMATES showing Russian troop levels in Crimea as high as 16,000, officials traveling with US Secretary of State John Kerry, pictured in Kiev placing flowers at a makeshift memorial to anti-gov't protesters killed in last month's clashes, warn of concerns that Putin may be plotting to send troops deeper into Ukraine. Ukraine's new PM says Read more on this news related to 'Troop'
- Huntsville Boy Scout troop praised for 'tried and proven' leadership program
Boy Scout Troop 400, which serves children from the city's public housing developments and surrounding neighborhoods, celebrated its 25th anniversary by leading the Pledge of Allegiance at a recent Huntsville City Council meeting. Read more on this news related to 'Troop'
- Trip to college' advanced manufacturing center opens Boy Scouts' eyes to career possibilities
Troop 123 toured the high-tech training labs at Manchester Community College and Great Bay Community College's Advanced Technology & Academic Center in Rochester, where the Scouts received crash courses in robotics and automation, as well as in advanced composites manufacturing. Read more on this news related to 'Troop'