Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Troop'
- a group of soldiers
- a cavalry unit corresponding to an infantry company
- a unit of girl or boy scouts [syn: scout troop, scout group}]
- an orderly crowd; "a troop of children" [syn: flock] v
- march in a procession; "the veterans paraded down the street" [syn: parade, promenade]
- move or march as if in a crowd; "They children trooped into the room"
- Troop \Troop\, n.
See Boy scout, above.
- Troop \Troop\, v. t.
To troop the colors or colours (Mil.), in the British
army, to perform a ceremony consisting essentially in
carrying the colors, accompained by the band and escort,
slowly before the troops drawn up in single file and
usually in a hollow square, as in London on the
sovereign's birthday. Trooper \Troop"er\, n.
A mounted policeman. [Australia]
Note: The black troopers of Queensland are a regiment of
aboriginal police, employed chiefly for dispersing wild
aborigines who encroach on sheep runs.
- Troop \Troop\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Trooped; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To move in numbers; to come or gather in crowds or troops. ``Armies . . . troop to their standard.'' --Milton.
- To march on; to go forward in haste. Nor do I, as an enemy to peace, Troop in the throngs of military men. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Troop'
Fireteam · Squad · Section · Platoon · Troop/Company/Battery · Battalion/Squadron · Regiment · Brigade · Division · Corps · Field army · Army group · Region · Theater
A troop is a military unit, originally a small force of cavalry, subordinate to a squadron and headed by the troop leader. In many armies a troop is the equivalent unit to the infantry section or platoon. Exceptions are the Royal Horse Artillery and the US Cavalry, where troop refers to an infantry company or artillery battery.
A cavalry soldier of private rank is called a trooper (abbreviated Tpr., not to be confused with trouper).
A related sense of the term troop refers to soldiers collectively, as in the troops; see Troop (disambiguation).[See more about Troop at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Troop'
'Troop' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Troop'
Troop Sample Sentences in News
- Troop carriers enter east Ukraine town bearing Russian, separatist flags
By Thomas Grove SLAVIANSK, Ukraine (Reuters) - Six armored troop carriers entered the eastern Ukrainian town of Slaviansk on Wednesday carrying the Russian national flag and the banner of pro-Russian separatists, a Reuters eyewitness said. The vehicles stopped outside the town's city hall which has for several days been occupied by separatists. The second vehi Read more on this news related to 'Troop'
- Troop carriers bearing Russian, separatist flags enter eastern Ukraine town
Several armed men, who wore mismatched battle fatigues and appeared to be pro-Russian activists, sat atop each the vehicles rolling into Slaviansk Read more on this news related to 'Troop'
- Boy Scouts removes gay troop leader in Seattle
SEATTLE (AP) — The Boys Scouts of America has removed an openly gay troop leader in Seattle, saying he made an issue out of his sexual orientation. Read more on this news related to 'Troop'