Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Transmitting'
n : the act of sending a message; causing a message to be
transmitted [syn: transmission, transmittal]
- transfer to another; "communicate a disease" [syn: convey, communicate]
- transmit or serve as the medium for transmission; "Sound carries well over water"; "The airwaves carry the sound"; "Many metals conduct heat" [syn: conduct, convey, carry, channel]
- broadcast over the airwaves, as in radio or television; "We cannot air this X-rated song" [syn: air, send, broadcast, beam]
- send from one person or place to another; "transmit a message" [syn: transfer, transport, channel, channelize, channelise] [also: transmitting, transmitted]
- Transmit \Trans*mit"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Transmitted; p. pr.
& vb. n. Transmitting.] [L. transmittere, transmissum;
trans across, over + mittere to send: cf. F. transmettre. See
- To cause to pass over or through; to communicate by
sending; to send from one person or place to another; to
pass on or down as by inheritance; as, to transmit a
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Transmitting'
A transmitter is an electronic device which, usually with the aid of an antenna, propagates an electromagnetic signal such as radio, television, or other telecommunications.
Generally in communication and information processing, a transmitter is any object (source) which sends information to an observer (receiver). When used in this more general sense, vocal cords may also be considered an example of a transmitter.
In radio electronics and broadcasting, a transmitter usually has a power supply, an oscillator, a modulator, and amplifiers for audio frequency (AF) and radio frequency (RF). The modulator is the device which piggybacks (or modulates) the signal information onto the carrier frequency, which is then broadcast. Sometimes a device (for example, a cell phone) contains both a transmitter and a radio receiver, with the combined unit referred to as a transceiver. In amateur radio, a transmitter can be a separate piece of electronic gear or a subset of a transceiver, and often referred to using an abbreviated form; "XMTR". In most parts of the world, use of transmitters is strictly controlled by laws since the potential for dangerous interference (for example to emergency communications) is considerable. In consumer electronics, a common device is a Personal FM transmitter, a very low power transmitter generally designed to take a simple audio source like an iPod, CD player, etc. and transmit it a few feet to a standard FM radio receiver. Most personal FM transmitters in the United States fall under Part 15 of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations to avoid any user licensing requirements.[See more about Transmitting at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Transmitting'
Transmitting Sample Sentences in News
- Ghana: 'Dum-So' Hits GBC Transmitting Station
[Ghanaian Chronicle]Kumasi -The transmitting station of the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation (GBC) in Kumasi is facing the dire consequences of the "dum-so, dum-so" menace. Read more on this news related to 'Transmitting'
- GOOD MORNING
This is PR NEWSWIRE -- transmitting news releases, advisories and other information to the news media around the United States since 1954. If you need help with your wire feed, email feeds or the PR Newswire ... Read more on this news related to 'Transmitting'
- High school coach charged with sexual contact, transmitting HIV
CAHOKIA, Ill., May 14 (UPI) -- A Cahokia, Ill., assistant teacher and coach was charged with sexual contact with a student and transmission of HIV, court records said. Read more on this news related to 'Transmitting'