Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Toy'
- an artifact designed to be played with [syn: plaything]
- a nonfunctional replica of something else (frequently used as a modifier); "a toy stove"
- copy that reproduces something in greatly reduced size [syn: miniature]
- any of several breeds of very small dogs kept purely as pets [syn: toy dog] v
- behave carelessly or indifferently; "Play about with a young girl's affection" [syn: dally, play, flirt]
- manipulate manually or in one's mind or imagination; "She played nervously with her wedding ring"; "Don't fiddle with the screws"; "He played with the idea of running for the Senate" [syn: fiddle, diddle, play]
- engage in an activity as if it were a game rather than take it seriously; "They played games on their opponents"; "play the stockmarket"; "play with her feelings"; "toy with an idea" [syn: play]
- Toy \Toy\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. toyed; p. pr. & vb. n.
To dally amorously; to trifle; to play.
To toy, to wanton, dally, smile and jest. --Shak.
- Toy \Toy\, v. t.
To treat foolishly. [Obs.] --E. Dering (1576).
- Toy \Toy\ (toi), n. [D. tuid tools, implements, stuff, trash,
speeltuig playthings, toys; akin to G. zeug stuff, materials,
MNG. ziuc, Icel. tygi gear; all ultimately from the root of
E. tug, v. t.; cf. G. zeugen to beget, MHG. ziugen to beget,
make ready, procure. See Tug, v. t.]
- A plaything for children; a bawble. --Cowper.
- A thing for amusement, but of no real value; an article of trade of little value; a trifle. They exchange for knives, glasses, and such toys, great abundance of gold and pearl. --Abr. Abbot.
- A wild fancy; an odd conceit; idle sport; folly; trifling
To fly about playing their wanton toys. --Spenser.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Toy'
A toy is any object that can be used for play. Toys are usually associated with children and pets, but it is not unusual for adults and some other animals to play with toys. An example of this is a dolphin being trained to nudge a ball through a hoop. Many items are designed to serve as toys, but goods produced for other purposes can also be used. For instance, a small child may pick up a household item and "fly" it through the air as to pretend that it is an airplane. Or, an animal might play with a pinecone by batting at it, biting it, chasing it, or by tossing it around. Another consideration is interactive digital entertainment, such as a video game. Some toys are produced primarily as collector's items and are intended for display only.
The origin of toys is prehistoric; dolls representing infants, animals, and soldiers, as well as representations of tools used by adults are readily found at archaeological sites. The origin of the word "toy" is unknown, but it is believed that it was first used in the 14th century.[See more about Toy at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Toy'
'Toy' in famous quotation sentence
* I remember how my Great Uncle Jerry would sit on the porch and whittle all day long. Once he whittled me a toy boat out of a larger toy boat I had. It was almost as good as the first one, except now it had bumpy whittle marks all over it. And no paint, because he had whittled off the paint. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* I wouldn't be surprised if someday some fishermen caught a big shark and cut it open, and there inside was a whole person. Then they cut the person open, and in him is a little baby shark. And in the baby shark there isn't a person, because it would be too small. But there's a little doll or something, like a Johnny Combat little toy guy---something like that. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
Click here for more related quotations on 'Toy'
Toy Sample Sentences in News
- Pinoy toy photography: More than just a hobby
A couple of decades ago, one would have never imagined the terms “toy photography” and “art form” belonging in the same sentence together. Thanks to the growth of the toy industry and the advent of the digital camera, however, today’s collectors have been expressing their love for their hobby in new, fun, and creative ways. Local toy hobbyists have taken Read more on this news related to 'Toy'
- US Navy Toys With Physics of Bouncy Balls
DENVER — A toy ball that skips on water far easier than the best skipping stone is the inspiration for a line of research that's caught the attention of the U.S. Navy. Brigham Young University physicist Tadd Truscott first noticed the toy while shopping with his son at a dollar store. "We were like, 'Oh, we gotta try that,'" Truscott told r Read more on this news related to 'Toy'
- Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy
Sometimes the stars align and a perfect toy is created. Check out this novel idea that takes a simple bodily function and turns it into an important message. Featured Image: read more Read more on this news related to 'Toy'