Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Thwart'
Thwart Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a crosspiece spreading the gunnels of a boat; used as a seat
in a rowboat [syn: cross thwart]
v : hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of; "What
ultimately frustrated every challenger was Ruth's amazing
September surge"; "foil your opponent" [syn: queer, spoil,
scotch, foil, cross, frustrate, baffle, bilk]
- Thwart \Thwart\, v. i.
- To move or go in an oblique or crosswise manner. [R.]
- Hence, to be in opposition; to clash. [R.] Any proposition . . . that shall at all thwart with internal oracles. --Locke.
- Thwart \Thwart\, a. [OE. [thorn]wart, [thorn]wert, a. and adv.,
Icel. [thorn]vert, neut. of [thorn]verr athwart, transverse,
across; akin to AS. [thorn]weorh perverse, transverse, cross,
D. dwars, OHG. dwerah, twerh, G. zwerch, quer, Dan. & Sw.
tver athwart, transverse, Sw. tv["a]r cross, unfriendly,
Goth. [thorn]wa['i]rhs angry. Cf. Queer.]
- Situated or placed across something else; transverse; oblique. Moved contrary with thwart obliquities. --Milton.
- Fig.: Perverse; crossgrained. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Thwart \Thwart\, adv. [See Thwart, a.]
Thwartly; obliquely; transversely; athwart. [Obs.] --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Thwart'
- Thwart: A thwart is a strut placed crosswise (left/right) in a ship or boat, to brace it crosswise. In rowboat s it can also serve as a seat for a ...
Words and phrases related to 'Thwart'
Thwart Sample Sentences in News
- 3 ways to thwart N. Korea nukes
Michael Green and Zack Cooper says if Kim is planning another nuclear test, the world must take the nation's aggressive intentions seriously and act Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'
- Refinery Activity Could Thwart Rising Gas Prices
The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) released its weekly petroleum status report Wednesday morning. U.S. commercial crude inventories increased by 3.5 million barrels last week, maintaining ... Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'
- Deputies thwart home invasion, four in custody
Deputies say they fired their guns at them. It's not clear if any of the suspects were hit. Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'