Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Thwart'
Thwart Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a crosspiece spreading the gunnels of a boat; used as a seat
in a rowboat [syn: cross thwart]
v : hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of; "What
ultimately frustrated every challenger was Ruth's amazing
September surge"; "foil your opponent" [syn: queer, spoil,
scotch, foil, cross, frustrate, baffle, bilk]
- Thwart \Thwart\, v. i.
- To move or go in an oblique or crosswise manner. [R.]
- Hence, to be in opposition; to clash. [R.] Any proposition . . . that shall at all thwart with internal oracles. --Locke.
- Thwart \Thwart\, a. [OE. [thorn]wart, [thorn]wert, a. and adv.,
Icel. [thorn]vert, neut. of [thorn]verr athwart, transverse,
across; akin to AS. [thorn]weorh perverse, transverse, cross,
D. dwars, OHG. dwerah, twerh, G. zwerch, quer, Dan. & Sw.
tver athwart, transverse, Sw. tv["a]r cross, unfriendly,
Goth. [thorn]wa['i]rhs angry. Cf. Queer.]
- Situated or placed across something else; transverse; oblique. Moved contrary with thwart obliquities. --Milton.
- Fig.: Perverse; crossgrained. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Thwart \Thwart\, adv. [See Thwart, a.]
Thwartly; obliquely; transversely; athwart. [Obs.] --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Thwart'
- Thwart: A thwart is a strut placed crosswise (left/right) in a ship or boat, to brace it crosswise. In rowboat s it can also serve as a seat for a ...
Words and phrases related to 'Thwart'
Thwart Sample Sentences in News
- Penguins thwart Sens to advance to East finals
James Neal had a hat trick and the Penguins finished off the lifeless Ottawa Senators 6-2 on Friday night in Game 5 of the Eastern conference semifinals to take the best-of-seven series 4-1. Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'
- IRS officials thwart lawmakers' quest for answers on IRS scandal
Three congressional hearings during the past week have allowed lawmakers to vent their anger at the U.S. tax agency for its targeting of conservative groups for extra scrutiny, but the sessions have yielded ... Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'
- Shire may return cash to thwart takeover, Daily Mail reports
Shire (SHPG) is exploring ways to return up to 2B pounds back to shareholders in an attempt to bolster its defenses against a possible foreign takeover bid, Daily Mail reports. The move comes amid speculation ... Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'