Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Thwart'
Thwart Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a crosspiece spreading the gunnels of a boat; used as a seat
in a rowboat [syn: cross thwart]
v : hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of; "What
ultimately frustrated every challenger was Ruth's amazing
September surge"; "foil your opponent" [syn: queer, spoil,
scotch, foil, cross, frustrate, baffle, bilk]
- Thwart \Thwart\, v. i.
- To move or go in an oblique or crosswise manner. [R.]
- Hence, to be in opposition; to clash. [R.] Any proposition . . . that shall at all thwart with internal oracles. --Locke.
- Thwart \Thwart\, a. [OE. [thorn]wart, [thorn]wert, a. and adv.,
Icel. [thorn]vert, neut. of [thorn]verr athwart, transverse,
across; akin to AS. [thorn]weorh perverse, transverse, cross,
D. dwars, OHG. dwerah, twerh, G. zwerch, quer, Dan. & Sw.
tver athwart, transverse, Sw. tv["a]r cross, unfriendly,
Goth. [thorn]wa['i]rhs angry. Cf. Queer.]
- Situated or placed across something else; transverse; oblique. Moved contrary with thwart obliquities. --Milton.
- Fig.: Perverse; crossgrained. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Thwart \Thwart\, adv. [See Thwart, a.]
Thwartly; obliquely; transversely; athwart. [Obs.] --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Thwart'
- Thwart: A thwart is a strut placed crosswise (left/right) in a ship or boat, to brace it crosswise. In rowboat s it can also serve as a seat for a ...
Words and phrases related to 'Thwart'
Thwart Sample Sentences in News
- Police thwart burglary attempt
Quick response led Rocky Mount police to quickly apprehend three suspected burglars. Dear Reader, This content is only available to subscribers of the Rocky Mount Telegram print or electronic edition. Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'
- U.S. secret weapon to thwart Putin?
Chatter suggests the U.S. intends to develop a secret weapon to thwart Putin. Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'
- Tesla Plan to Bypass Dealers, Sell Cars Directly, is Blocked
A third state moved on Tuesday to thwart plans by electric car maker Tesla to change the way cars are sold by bypassing dealers and selling directly to customers.The New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission voted to ban the direct sale of automobiles in the state, forcing Tesla to use dealers instead. Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'