Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Thwart'
Thwart Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a crosspiece spreading the gunnels of a boat; used as a seat
in a rowboat [syn: cross thwart]
v : hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of; "What
ultimately frustrated every challenger was Ruth's amazing
September surge"; "foil your opponent" [syn: queer, spoil,
scotch, foil, cross, frustrate, baffle, bilk]
- Thwart \Thwart\, v. i.
- To move or go in an oblique or crosswise manner. [R.]
- Hence, to be in opposition; to clash. [R.] Any proposition . . . that shall at all thwart with internal oracles. --Locke.
- Thwart \Thwart\, a. [OE. [thorn]wart, [thorn]wert, a. and adv.,
Icel. [thorn]vert, neut. of [thorn]verr athwart, transverse,
across; akin to AS. [thorn]weorh perverse, transverse, cross,
D. dwars, OHG. dwerah, twerh, G. zwerch, quer, Dan. & Sw.
tver athwart, transverse, Sw. tv["a]r cross, unfriendly,
Goth. [thorn]wa['i]rhs angry. Cf. Queer.]
- Situated or placed across something else; transverse; oblique. Moved contrary with thwart obliquities. --Milton.
- Fig.: Perverse; crossgrained. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Thwart \Thwart\, adv. [See Thwart, a.]
Thwartly; obliquely; transversely; athwart. [Obs.] --Milton.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Thwart'
- Thwart: A thwart is a strut placed crosswise (left/right) in a ship or boat, to brace it crosswise. In rowboat s it can also serve as a seat for a ...
Words and phrases related to 'Thwart'
Thwart Sample Sentences in News
- Store customers thwart getaway
Grover Dake came into the store at 923 Riverview Road around 2:30 p.m., demanded money, and pushed an employees aside as he made his way to the cash register, State Police said. Maria D'Amelia, a spokeswoman for Stewart's, said Dake was likely a distant relative of the founders of the convenience store chain. Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'
- Thefts and even fire can thwart holiday package delivery
A blaze in a UPS truck and several thefts may disrupt holiday cheer for some intended gift recipients. Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'
- Twitter toughens encryption to thwart online snooping
Twitter on Friday announced it has toughened the encryption of traffic at the globally popular one-to-many messaging service to thwart online snooping. Twitter followed in the footsteps of Google and Facebook, adding a layer of security called Perfect Forward Secrecy to protect data that users would like kept from prying eyes. "On top of the usual confidentia Read more on this news related to 'Thwart'