Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tarnished'
Tarnished Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : especially of reputation; "the senator's seriously damaged
reputation"; "a flyblown reputation"; "a tarnished
reputation"; "inherited a spotted name" [syn: besmirched,
damaged, flyblown, spotted, stained, sullied,
- Tarnish \Tar"nish\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tarnished; p. pr. &
vb. n. Tarnishing.] [F. ternir, fr. OHG. tarnen to darken,
to conceal, hide; akin to OS. dernian to hide, AS. dernan,
dyrnan, OHG. tarni hidden, OS. derni, AS. derne, dyrne. Cf.
Dern, a., and see -ish.]
To soil, or change the appearance of, especially by an
alternation induced by the air, or by dust, or the like; to
diminish, dull, or destroy the luster of; to sully; as, to
tarnish a metal; to tarnish gilding; to tarnish the purity of
color. ``Tarnished lace.'' --Fuller. Used also figuratively;
as, to tarnish one's honor.
Syn: To sully; stain; dim.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tarnished'
- Tarnished Lady: Tarnished Lady is a 1931 American drama film directed by George Cukor . The screenplay by Donald Ogden Stewart is based on his short ...
- The Tarnished Angels: The Tarnished Angels is a 1958 American drama film directed by Douglas Sirk The ... com/movies/tarnished-angels/review/119813 TV Guide review ...
- Tarnished Heisman: Tarnished Heisman: Did Reggie Bush Turn His Final College Season into a Six-Figure Job? is a forthcoming book written by Don Yaeger . ...
- Tarnished plant bug: The tarnished plant bug (TPB) is one of the most serious pests of small fruits and vegetables in North America. No truly effective or ...
- The Tarnished Eye: The Tarnished Eye is a 2004 crime novel by Judith Guest . External links : http://www. judithguest. com/tarnishedeye. htm The Tarnished Eye ...
- Operation Tarnished Shield: asp Several Police Officers Arrested In Operation Tarnished Shield. http://www. putnampit. com/right_pane. htm Drug sting nabs 2 officers, 6 ...
Words and phrases related to 'Tarnished'
Tarnished Sample Sentences in News
- Israel’s tarnished moral calculus
We used to shoot and cry, as the old Si Heyman song says. Now we kill and justify. Hamas is out to kill Israelis, but when did we lose our interest in minimizing brutal tactics? Read more on this news related to 'Tarnished'
- Rejection gets under skin as owner's name tarnished in town
THE premier has confirmed he will review the closure of a Rockhampton tattoo parlour shut under controversial bikie laws, but the owner said it’s too late. Read more on this news related to 'Tarnished'
- Big Brother 2014: Five must-see moments from tonight's show
Mark Byron fears he has tarnished Christopher Hall's reputation as People Power takes over Read more on this news related to 'Tarnished'