Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tarnished'
Tarnished Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : especially of reputation; "the senator's seriously damaged
reputation"; "a flyblown reputation"; "a tarnished
reputation"; "inherited a spotted name" [syn: besmirched,
damaged, flyblown, spotted, stained, sullied,
- Tarnish \Tar"nish\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tarnished; p. pr. &
vb. n. Tarnishing.] [F. ternir, fr. OHG. tarnen to darken,
to conceal, hide; akin to OS. dernian to hide, AS. dernan,
dyrnan, OHG. tarni hidden, OS. derni, AS. derne, dyrne. Cf.
Dern, a., and see -ish.]
To soil, or change the appearance of, especially by an
alternation induced by the air, or by dust, or the like; to
diminish, dull, or destroy the luster of; to sully; as, to
tarnish a metal; to tarnish gilding; to tarnish the purity of
color. ``Tarnished lace.'' --Fuller. Used also figuratively;
as, to tarnish one's honor.
Syn: To sully; stain; dim.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tarnished'
- Tarnished Lady: Tarnished Lady is a 1931 American drama film directed by George Cukor . The screenplay by Donald Ogden Stewart is based on his short ...
- The Tarnished Angels: The Tarnished Angels is a 1958 American drama film directed by Douglas Sirk The ... com/movies/tarnished-angels/review/119813 TV Guide review ...
- Tarnished Heisman: Tarnished Heisman: Did Reggie Bush Turn His Final College Season into a Six-Figure Job? is a forthcoming book written by Don Yaeger . ...
- Tarnished plant bug: The tarnished plant bug (TPB) is one of the most serious pests of small fruits and vegetables in North America. No truly effective or ...
- The Tarnished Eye: The Tarnished Eye is a 2004 crime novel by Judith Guest . External links : http://www. judithguest. com/tarnishedeye. htm The Tarnished Eye ...
- Operation Tarnished Shield: asp Several Police Officers Arrested In Operation Tarnished Shield. http://www. putnampit. com/right_pane. htm Drug sting nabs 2 officers, 6 ...
Words and phrases related to 'Tarnished'
Tarnished Sample Sentences in News
- EURO 2020 set to polish Turkey’s tarnished image
Turkey, eager to polish its image tarnished by a politicized match-fixing scandal, a massive corruption scandal, hard-handed police tactics against anti-government demonstrators and a bruising domestic power struggle, has emerged as a favourite to host the Euro 2020 semi-finals and final. “We think we will be awarded the two semi-finals and finals and we deserve Read more on this news related to 'Tarnished'
- 'Tarnished' ex-players made Rashid Latif snub Pakistan chief selector job
The 45-year-old Rashid Latif, who famously blew the whistle on match-fixing in 1994 and 1995, refused to take up the chief selector's post with the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB). He said the PCB should have zero tolerance of corruption. Read more on this news related to 'Tarnished'
- Cricket: 'Tarnished' ex-pros made Latif snub Pakistan job
KARACHI, April 15, 2014 (AFP) - Former Pakistan cricket captain Rashid Latif said Tuesday he turned down the job of national chief selector because he could not work with ex-players tainted by corruption. Read more on this news related to 'Tarnished'