Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Tarnished'
Tarnished Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : especially of reputation; "the senator's seriously damaged
reputation"; "a flyblown reputation"; "a tarnished
reputation"; "inherited a spotted name" [syn: besmirched,
damaged, flyblown, spotted, stained, sullied,
- Tarnish \Tar"nish\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Tarnished; p. pr. &
vb. n. Tarnishing.] [F. ternir, fr. OHG. tarnen to darken,
to conceal, hide; akin to OS. dernian to hide, AS. dernan,
dyrnan, OHG. tarni hidden, OS. derni, AS. derne, dyrne. Cf.
Dern, a., and see -ish.]
To soil, or change the appearance of, especially by an
alternation induced by the air, or by dust, or the like; to
diminish, dull, or destroy the luster of; to sully; as, to
tarnish a metal; to tarnish gilding; to tarnish the purity of
color. ``Tarnished lace.'' --Fuller. Used also figuratively;
as, to tarnish one's honor.
Syn: To sully; stain; dim.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Tarnished'
- Tarnished Lady: Tarnished Lady is a 1931 American drama film directed by George Cukor . The screenplay by Donald Ogden Stewart is based on his short ...
- The Tarnished Angels: The Tarnished Angels is a 1958 American drama film directed by Douglas Sirk The ... com/movies/tarnished-angels/review/119813 TV Guide review ...
- Tarnished Heisman: Tarnished Heisman: Did Reggie Bush Turn His Final College Season into a Six-Figure Job? is a forthcoming book written by Don Yaeger . ...
- Tarnished plant bug: The tarnished plant bug (TPB) is one of the most serious pests of small fruits and vegetables in North America. No truly effective or ...
- The Tarnished Eye: The Tarnished Eye is a 2004 crime novel by Judith Guest . External links : http://www. judithguest. com/tarnishedeye. htm The Tarnished Eye ...
- Operation Tarnished Shield: asp Several Police Officers Arrested In Operation Tarnished Shield. http://www. putnampit. com/right_pane. htm Drug sting nabs 2 officers, 6 ...
Words and phrases related to 'Tarnished'