Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Synchronize'
- make synchronous and adjust in time or manner; "Let's synchronize our efforts" [syn: synchronise, sync] [ant: desynchronize, desynchronize]
- happen at the same time [syn: synchronise, contemporize, contemporise]
- make (motion picture sound) exactly simultaneous with the action; "synchronize this film" [syn: synchronise]
- arrange or represent events so that they co-occur; "synchronize biblical events" [syn: synchronise, contemporize, contemporise]
- operate simultaneously; "The clocks synchronize" [syn: synchronise]
- cause to indicate the same time or rate; "synchronize your watches" [syn: synchronise]
- Synchronize \Syn"chro*nize\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Synchronized;
p. pr. & vb. n. Synchronizing.] [Gr. ?.]
To agree in time; to be simultaneous.
The path of this great empire, through its arch of
progress, synchronized with that of Christianity. --De
- Synchronize \Syn"chro*nize\, v. t.
- To assign to the same date or period of time; as, to synchronize two events of Greek and Roman history. ``Josephus synchronizes Nisan with the Egyptian Pharmus.'' --W. L. Bevan.
- To cause to agree in time; as, to synchronize the movements of different machines; to synchronize clocks.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Synchronize'
Synchronization is timekeeping which requires the coordination of events to operate a system in unison. The familiar conductor of an orchestra serves to keep the orchestra in time. Systems operating with all their parts in synchrony are said to be synchronous or in sync. Some systems may be only approximately synchronized, or plesiochronous. For some applications relative offsets between events need to be determined, for others only the order of the event is important.
Today, synchronization can occur on a global basis due to GPS-enabled timekeeping systems.
Apart from its use for navigation (see John Harrison), synchronization was not important in transportation until the nineteenth century, when the coming of the railways made travel fast enough for the differences in local time between adjacent towns to be noticeable (see ).[See more about Synchronize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Synchronize'
Synchronize Sample Sentences in News
- Make use of the iCloud keychain
Apple's iCloud keychain can be used to synchronize passwords and secured notes for your own system and those at work. Originally posted at MacFixIt Read more on this news related to 'Synchronize'
- El Paso to synchronize area traffic lights
Motorists in far East El Paso will be able to move faster and more smoothly on major streets as the city plans to synchronize traffic lights at various intersections. Read more on this news related to 'Synchronize'
- Bonobos, like humans, keep time to music: study
By Irene Klotz CHICAGO (Reuters) - Some animals, like humans, can sense and respond to a musical beat, a finding that has implications for understanding how the skill evolved, scientists said on Saturday. A study of bonobos, closely related to chimpanzees, shows they have an innate ability to match tempo and synchronize a beat with human experimenters. They hear a Read more on this news related to 'Synchronize'