Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Synchronize'
- make synchronous and adjust in time or manner; "Let's synchronize our efforts" [syn: synchronise, sync] [ant: desynchronize, desynchronize]
- happen at the same time [syn: synchronise, contemporize, contemporise]
- make (motion picture sound) exactly simultaneous with the action; "synchronize this film" [syn: synchronise]
- arrange or represent events so that they co-occur; "synchronize biblical events" [syn: synchronise, contemporize, contemporise]
- operate simultaneously; "The clocks synchronize" [syn: synchronise]
- cause to indicate the same time or rate; "synchronize your watches" [syn: synchronise]
- Synchronize \Syn"chro*nize\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Synchronized;
p. pr. & vb. n. Synchronizing.] [Gr. ?.]
To agree in time; to be simultaneous.
The path of this great empire, through its arch of
progress, synchronized with that of Christianity. --De
- Synchronize \Syn"chro*nize\, v. t.
- To assign to the same date or period of time; as, to synchronize two events of Greek and Roman history. ``Josephus synchronizes Nisan with the Egyptian Pharmus.'' --W. L. Bevan.
- To cause to agree in time; as, to synchronize the movements of different machines; to synchronize clocks.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Synchronize'
Synchronization is timekeeping which requires the coordination of events to operate a system in unison. The familiar conductor of an orchestra serves to keep the orchestra in time. Systems operating with all their parts in synchrony are said to be synchronous or in sync. Some systems may be only approximately synchronized, or plesiochronous. For some applications relative offsets between events need to be determined, for others only the order of the event is important.
Today, synchronization can occur on a global basis due to GPS-enabled timekeeping systems.
Apart from its use for navigation (see John Harrison), synchronization was not important in transportation until the nineteenth century, when the coming of the railways made travel fast enough for the differences in local time between adjacent towns to be noticeable (see ).[See more about Synchronize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Synchronize'
Synchronize Sample Sentences in News
- How Movies Synchronize the Brains of an Audience
When people watch a movie together their brain activity is, to a remarkable degree, synchronized. It's a slightly creepy thought. It's also a testament to the captivating power of cinema, says Uri Hasson, a psychologist at Princeton University. Read more on this news related to 'Synchronize'
- Synchronizing prescriptions would get easier under bill
Some New Jersey lawmakers are pushing a bill to make it easier for people with multiple prescriptions to synchronize their refills so they can pick them up with a single monthly trip to the pharmacy. Read more on this news related to 'Synchronize'
- Newtown supervisors give PennDOT green light to synchronize traffic signals along the Newtown Bypass
NEWTOWN TOWNSHIP - The board of supervisors at its Aug. 27 meeting voted 4-0, with Supervisor Jen Dix absent, to give the green light to PennDOT’s plan to synchronize lights along the Newtown Bypass to improve traffic flow. Read more on this news related to 'Synchronize'