Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Suppliant'
Suppliant Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : humbly entreating; "a suppliant sinner seeking forgiveness"
[syn: supplicant, supplicatory]
n : one praying humbly for something; "a suppliant for her
favors" [syn: petitioner, supplicant]
- Suppliant \Sup"pli*ant\, n.
One who supplicates; a humble petitioner; one who entreats
Hear thy suppliant's prayer. --Dryden.
- Suppliant \Sup"pli*ant\, a. [F., p. pr. of supplier to entreat,
L. supplicare. See Supplicate, and cf. Supplicant.]
- Asking earnestly and submissively; entreating; beseeching; supplicating. The rich grow suppliant, and the poor grow proud. --Dryden.
- Manifesting entreaty; expressive of supplication. To bow and sue for grace With suppliant knee. --Milton. Syn: Entreating; beseeching; suing; begging; supplicating; imploring. -- Sup"pli*ant*ly, adv. -- Sup"pli*ant*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Suppliant'
- The Suppliants: The Suppliants may refer to: The Suppliants (Aeschylus) by Aeschylus, an ancient Greek play where the Danaides seek protection from King ...
- The Suppliants (Aeschylus): The Suppliants (Ικέτιδες / Hiketides; also translated as "The Suppliant Maidens") is a play by Aeschylus . It was probably first performed ...
- The Suppliants (Euripides): The Suppliants (also known as The Suppliant Women. Ἱκέτιδες. Hiketides ), first performed in 423 BC , is an ancient Greek play by Euripides ...
Words and phrases related to 'Suppliant'
Suppliant Sample Sentences in News
- No current Suppliant news