Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Supplant'
Supplant Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
v : take the place or move into the position of; "Smith replaced
Miller as CEO after Miller left"; "the computer has
supplanted the slide rule"; "Mary replaced Susan as the
team's captain and the highest-ranked player in the
school" [syn: replace, supersede, supervene upon]
- Supplant \Sup*plant"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Supplanted; p. pr.
& vb. n. Supplanting.] [F. supplanter, L. supplantare to
trip up one's heels, to throw down; sub under + planta the
sole of the foot, also, a sucker, slip, sprout. Cf. Plant,
- To trip up. [Obs.] ``Supplanted, down he fell.'' --Milton.
- To remove or displace by stratagem; to displace and take the place of; to supersede; as, a rival supplants another in the favor of a mistress or a prince. Suspecting that the courtier had supplanted the friend. --Bp. Fell.
- To overthrow, undermine, or force away, in order to get a substitute in place of. You never will supplant the received ideas of God. --Landor. Syn: To remove; displace; overpower; undermine; overthrow; supersede.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Supplant'
Words and phrases related to 'Supplant'
Supplant Sample Sentences in News
- Small SUVs Supplant Big Pickups as Ford’s Top-Selling Models
Ford Motor Co. (F) , once a top purveyor of huge sport-utility vehicles, now gets most of its global sales growth from small SUVs such as the Escape and EcoSport, which outsold its F-Series pickups by 2-to-1 in 2013. Read more on this news related to 'Supplant'
- Could China supplant U.S. as top source of Israeli tech capital?
Hundreds of millions pledged to Israeli high-tech. Read more on this news related to 'Supplant'
- Appleby striving to supplant Etling as Purdue's starting quarterback
John Shoop was asked earlier this week if Danny Etling was clearly Purdue's No. 1 quarterback when spring workouts started. Read more on this news related to 'Supplant'