Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Supplant'
Supplant Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
v : take the place or move into the position of; "Smith replaced
Miller as CEO after Miller left"; "the computer has
supplanted the slide rule"; "Mary replaced Susan as the
team's captain and the highest-ranked player in the
school" [syn: replace, supersede, supervene upon]
- Supplant \Sup*plant"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Supplanted; p. pr.
& vb. n. Supplanting.] [F. supplanter, L. supplantare to
trip up one's heels, to throw down; sub under + planta the
sole of the foot, also, a sucker, slip, sprout. Cf. Plant,
- To trip up. [Obs.] ``Supplanted, down he fell.'' --Milton.
- To remove or displace by stratagem; to displace and take the place of; to supersede; as, a rival supplants another in the favor of a mistress or a prince. Suspecting that the courtier had supplanted the friend. --Bp. Fell.
- To overthrow, undermine, or force away, in order to get a substitute in place of. You never will supplant the received ideas of God. --Landor. Syn: To remove; displace; overpower; undermine; overthrow; supersede.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Supplant'
Words and phrases related to 'Supplant'
Supplant Sample Sentences in News
- Jets supplant Geno with Simms
Jets supplant Geno with Simms Read more on this news related to 'Supplant'
- Paneer Pizza: Domino's Sees India Becoming Second-Largest Market
India is poised to supplant Britain as the chain's largest market outside the U.S., Domino's Pizza CEO J. Patrick Doyle says. The company's Indian menu emphasizes vegetarian options and boosts the food's spiciness. Read more on this news related to 'Supplant'
- Matt McGloin throws three TDs in win, puts himself in mix to be Raiders’ QB of future
On Sunday morning there were reports that Matt McGloin, an undrafted rookie who had don't nothing to impress during his one short appearance in a NFL game, could supplant Terrelle Pryor as the Raiders' quarterback of the future. Then McGloin … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Supplant'