Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Stray'
Stray Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : not close together in time; "isolated instances of
rebellion"; "scattered fire"; "a stray bullet grazed
his thigh" [syn: isolated, scattered]
n : homeless cat [syn: alley cat]
- move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment; "The gypsies roamed the woods"; "roving vagabonds"; "the wandering Jew"; "The cattle roam across the prairie"; "the laborers drift from one town to the next"; "They rolled from town to town" [syn: roll, wander, swan, tramp, roam, cast, ramble, rove, range, drift, vagabond]
- wander from a direct course or at random; "The child strayed from the path and her parents lost sight of her"; "don't drift from the set course" [syn: err, drift]
- lose clarity or turn aside especially from the main subject of attention or course of argument in writing, thinking, or speaking; "She always digresses when telling a story"; "her mind wanders"; "Don't digress when you give a lecture" [syn: digress, divagate, wander]
- Stray \Stray\, v. t.
To cause to stray. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Stray \Stray\, a. [Cf. OF. estrai['e], p. p. of estraier. See
Stray, v. i., and cf. Astray, Estray.]
Having gone astray; strayed; wandering; as, a strayhorse or
Stray line (Naut.), that portion of the log line which is
veered from the reel to allow the chip to get clear of the
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Stray'
- Stray: Stray may refer to: A feral (abandoned or escaped) domestic animal; see also estray Strays of York , Stray or The Stray, an area of open ...
- Stray (band): Stray are a British band, formed in 1966. The vocalist Steve Gadd (born 27 April 1952, Shepherd's Bush , London ), guitarist Del Bromham ...
- Svenn Stray: Svenn Thorkild Stray (born 11 February, 1922, Arendal ) is a retired Norwegian politician active in the Conservative Party of Norway and ...
- Stray (album): Stray is the fourth album by British group Aztec Camera , released in June 1990 on the Sire Records label. Stray was praised for its ...
- Stray (Law & Order: Criminal Intent): "Stray" is a third season episode of the television series Law & Order: Criminal Intent . Plot summary: In this episode, Detectives Goren ...
- Stray (novel): Stray is a novel by A. N. Wilson . It is a follow-up to his picture book The Tabitha Stories, as it follows the life of Tabitha's father. ...
Words and phrases related to 'Stray'
Stray Sample Sentences in News
- Tuesday Memo: Stray bullet kills ... Troubling scenes ... Egyptian Theatre
Stray bullet in Ferndale is deadly: The 23-year-old woman who was at a Father’s Day barbecue when she was struck by a stray bullet from a half-mile away has died. How sad. How bizarre. Two of five people who were shooting handguns and rifles on the other side of the Nooksack River were arreste Read more on this news related to 'Stray'
- Stray Boots Fights 'Summer Slide' By Giving Free Tours To All Students In New York City
NEW YORK, June 10, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- On Saturday, June 8, Stray Boots, a New York tech startup that creates "gamified" city tours kicked off a campaign to get children in New York outside, ... Read more on this news related to 'Stray'
- Number of stray dogs caught 34% higher than last year
THE Hulu Selangor District Council’s (MDHS) new method to round up stray dogs has been effective. Read more on this news related to 'Stray'