Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Stray'
Stray Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : not close together in time; "isolated instances of
rebellion"; "scattered fire"; "a stray bullet grazed
his thigh" [syn: isolated, scattered]
n : homeless cat [syn: alley cat]
- move about aimlessly or without any destination, often in search of food or employment; "The gypsies roamed the woods"; "roving vagabonds"; "the wandering Jew"; "The cattle roam across the prairie"; "the laborers drift from one town to the next"; "They rolled from town to town" [syn: roll, wander, swan, tramp, roam, cast, ramble, rove, range, drift, vagabond]
- wander from a direct course or at random; "The child strayed from the path and her parents lost sight of her"; "don't drift from the set course" [syn: err, drift]
- lose clarity or turn aside especially from the main subject of attention or course of argument in writing, thinking, or speaking; "She always digresses when telling a story"; "her mind wanders"; "Don't digress when you give a lecture" [syn: digress, divagate, wander]
- Stray \Stray\, v. t.
To cause to stray. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Stray \Stray\, a. [Cf. OF. estrai['e], p. p. of estraier. See
Stray, v. i., and cf. Astray, Estray.]
Having gone astray; strayed; wandering; as, a strayhorse or
Stray line (Naut.), that portion of the log line which is
veered from the reel to allow the chip to get clear of the
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Stray'
- Stray: Stray may refer to: A feral (abandoned or escaped) domestic animal; see also estray Strays of York , Stray or The Stray, an area of open ...
- Stray (band): Stray are a British band, formed in 1966. The vocalist Steve Gadd (born 27 April 1952, Shepherd's Bush , London ), guitarist Del Bromham ...
- Svenn Stray: Svenn Thorkild Stray (born 11 February, 1922, Arendal ) is a retired Norwegian politician active in the Conservative Party of Norway and ...
- Stray (album): Stray is the fourth album by British group Aztec Camera , released in June 1990 on the Sire Records label. Stray was praised for its ...
- Stray (Law & Order: Criminal Intent): "Stray" is a third season episode of the television series Law & Order: Criminal Intent . Plot summary: In this episode, Detectives Goren ...
- Stray (novel): Stray is a novel by A. N. Wilson . It is a follow-up to his picture book The Tabitha Stories, as it follows the life of Tabitha's father. ...
Words and phrases related to 'Stray'
Stray Sample Sentences in News
- Motor racing-Stray dogs a problem for Sochi F1
By Alan Baldwin SOCHI, Russia, Feb 20 (Reuters) - Stray dogs roaming the streets of Sochi are just one of the problems facing Russian Formula One Grand Prix organisers as they prepare for a debut race in October. The slow hand of Russian bureaucracy and the risk of post-Olympic complacency are also on the list of challenges to be overcome. However, Richard Cregan, Read more on this news related to 'Stray'
- Ubiquity Broadcasting Corp. Has Entered Initial Negotiations to Acquire Stray Angel Films
Irvine-based Ubiquity Broadcasting Corp. today announced that it is finalizing its negotiations to acquire the assets of Stray Angel Films, a privately-held video and film production company based in Los ... Read more on this news related to 'Stray'
- Houston animal control seeks $3.4M for 'sea change' tactics to control strays
Houston's animal control team at BARC is seeking $3.4 million to bring about transformative change in their operations and get a handle on the city's stray dog problem. It's estimated there are between 600,000 and 1.2 million stray dogs and cats on the city's streets in what is widely recognized as a crisis. Read more on this news related to 'Stray'