Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Stinging'
Stinging Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- causing or experiencing a painful shivering feeling as from many tiny pricks; "a prickling blush of embarrassment"; "the tingling feeling in a foot that has gone to sleep"; "a stinging nettle"; "the stinging windblown sleet" [syn: prickling, tingling]
- having a sting or the capacity to sting; "stinging insects"; "stinging nettles" [ant: stingless]
- (of speech) harsh or hurtful in tone or character; "cutting remarks"; "edged satire"; "a stinging comment" [syn: cutting, edged] n : a kind of pain; something as sudden and painful as being stung; "the sting of death"; "he felt the stinging of nettles" [syn: sting]
- Stinging \Sting"ing\, a.
Piercing, or capable of piercing, with a sting; inflicting
acute pain as if with a sting, goad, or pointed weapon;
pungent; biting; as, stinging cold; a stinging rebuke. --
Stinging cell. (Zo["o]l.) Same as Lasso cell, under
- Sting \Sting\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Stung(Archaic Stang); p.
pr. & vb. n. Stinging.] [AS. stingan; akin to Icel. & Sw.
stinga, Dan. stinge, and probably to E. stick, v.t.; cf.
Goth. usstiggan to put out, pluck out. Cf. Stick, v. t.]
- To pierce or wound with a sting; as, bees will sting an animal that irritates them; the nettles stung his hands.
- To pain acutely; as, the conscience is stung with remorse; to bite. ``Slander stings the brave.'' --Pope.
- To goad; to incite, as by taunts or reproaches.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Stinging'
- Stinging nettle: Stinging nettle or common nettle, Urtica dioica, is a herbaceous perennial ... The plant has many hollow stinging hairs called trichome s on ...
- The Stinging Fly: The Stinging Fly is a literary magazine published in Ireland featuring short stories and poetry. It was founded in 1998 by Declan Meade ...
- Stinging Fork Falls State Natural Area: Stinging Fork Falls State Natural Area, a Tennessee Class II Natural-Scientific ... External links : us/environment/na/natareas/stinging/ ...
Words and phrases related to 'Stinging'
Stinging Sample Sentences in News
- Kiev claims rebel defeats in east Ukraine as Obama warns Russia
Slavyansk (Ukraine) (AFP) - Kiev claimed it inflicted stinging defeats on pro-Kremlin rebels in east Ukraine on Thursday, as US President Barack Obama accused Russia of not abiding by a deal to defuse the escalating crisis in the ex-Soviet country. Shooting was heard in the rebel-held flashpoint town of Slavyansk, where a roadblock manned by insurgents was in flam Read more on this news related to 'Stinging'
- Senator Corker Issues Stinging Rebuke Following UAW Announcement
U.S. Senator Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) released a stinging rebuke in the wake of UAW's decision to withdrawing its appeal of Februaryâs union election at Chattanoogaâs Volkswagen (VW) plant. ... Read more on this news related to 'Stinging'
- Plantwatch: A vicious, but useful, weed
The mild weather this winter has tricked many plants into growing early. Unfortunately that includes a very aggressive plant – the stinging nettle, one of Britain's most troublesome weeds, which thrives on the copious amounts of nitrogen fertilisers washed off farmlands and gardens. But the plant is most notorious for its vicious stinging hairs. Brushing aga Read more on this news related to 'Stinging'