Starvation Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- the act of depriving of food or subjecting to famine; "the beseigers used starvation to induce surrender"; "they were charged with the starvation of children in their care"
- a state of extreme hunger resulting from lack of essential nutrients over a prolonged period
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a state of extreme hunger resulting from lack of essential nutrients over a prolonged period ,
- the act of depriving of food or subjecting to famine; "the besiegers used starvation to induce surrender"; "they were charged with the starvation of children in their care"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Starvation'?
Starvation Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Starvation is when a person or animal has not eaten food for such a time that they are unable to do things in a normal way.
After the stomach has been left empty for so long the body starts to give up.
There are many effects of starvation. These can include:
The metabolism naturally lowers when a person is starved. This makes weight loss slower. Consistently not being able to eat enough will lead to permanent damage to the organs. This is the case for humans when they do not eat enough for about 1-2 months. A process called catabolysis will break down usable resources, to keep vital functions (the nervous system and the heart working. It will first turn to muscles before it turns to fat).
Words and phrases related to 'Starvation'
'Starvation' example sentence in quotations
* One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways. - Bertrand Russell
Click here for more related quotations on 'Starvation'
Starvation Sample Sentences in News
- 2 charged in infant starvation on suicide watch
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia man and his 23-year-old daughter charged in the starvation death of an infant are under a suicide watch in jail, which has prevented them from preparing for court, their attorneys said Friday. Read more on this news related to 'Starvation'
- Starvation strikes Zimbabwe’s urban dwellers
AS unemployment deepens and as the country battles to achieve the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) ahead of the December 2015 deadline, thousands of urban dwellers are said to be facing starvation. Read more on this news related to 'Starvation'
- Ga. judge OKs prosecution in infant starvation
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. (AP) — A judge in suburban Atlanta on Friday ruled there is enough evidence against a man and his 23-year-old daughter accused in the starvation death of the man's baby daughter to allow them to be prosecuted. Read more on this news related to 'Starvation'