Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Starvation'
- a state of extreme hunger resulting from lack of essential nutrients over a prolonged period [syn: famishment]
- the act of depriving of food or subjecting to famine; "the beseigers used starvation to induce surrender"; "they were charged with the starvation of children in their care" [syn: starving]
- Starvation \Star*va"tion\, n.
The act of starving, or the state of being starved.
Note: This word was first used, according to Horace Walpole,
by Henry Dundas, the first Lord Melville, in a speech
on American affairs in 1775, which obtained for him the
nickname of Starvation Dundas. ``Starvation, we are
also told, belongs to the class of 'vile compounds'
from being a mongrel; as if English were not full of
mongrels, and if it would not be in distressing straits
without them.'' --Fitzed. Hall.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Starvation'
Starvation is a severe reduction in vitamin, nutrient and energy intake. It is the most extreme form of malnutrition. In humans, prolonged starvation can cause permanent organ damage and eventually, death. The term inanition refers to the symptoms and effects of starvation.
According to the World Health Organization, hunger is the single gravest threat to the world's public health.
The basic cause of starvation is an imbalance between energy intake and energy expenditure. In other words, the body expends more energy than it takes in as food. This imbalance can arise from one or more medical conditions and/or circumstantial situations, which can include:
Medical reasons[See more about Starvation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Starvation'
'Starvation' in famous quotation sentence
* One should as a rule respect public opinion in so far as is necessary to avoid starvation and to keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyranny, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways. - Bertrand Russell
Click here for more related quotations on 'Starvation'
Starvation Sample Sentences in News
- Starvation genes run in families
London, Aug 1 (IANS) If your ancestors have faced starvation at some point of time, chances are that you may also have inherited the "memory of starvation" and can pass this to future generations. Researchers have identified a mechanism called "small RNA inheritance" that enables worms to pass on the memory of starvation to multiple generations Read more on this news related to 'Starvation'
- MH370 Passengers May Have Died of Oxygen Starvation: Report
All 239 passengers aboard missing Malaysian flight MH370 may have died of oxygen starvation as the pilot deliberately turned off the supply before crashing into the Indian Ocean, a new report claimed today. Read more on this news related to 'Starvation'
- Coroner: starvation, dehydration were factors in death of Jarrod Tutko Jr.
Dauphin County Coroner Graham Hetrick said Tuesday that dehydration and starvation were factors in the death of nine-year-old Jarrod Tutko Jr. The boy was dead in his North Green Street home in Harrisburg for days before anyone called 911. The … Read more on this news related to 'Starvation'