Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Spleen'
- a large dark-red oval organ on the left side of the body between the stomach and the diaphragm; produces cells involved in immune responses [syn: lien]
- a feeling of resentful anger [syn: irascibility, short temper, quick temper]
- Spleen \Spleen\, v. t.
To dislke. [Obs.] --Bp. Hacket.
- Spleen \Spleen\, n. [L. splen, Gr. ???? the milt or spleen,
affection of the spleen; cf. L. lien, plihan, pl[=i]han.]
- (Anat.) A peculiar glandlike but ductless organ found near the stomach or intestine of most vertebrates and connected with the vascular system; the milt. Its exact function in not known.
- Anger; latent spite; ill humor; malice; as, to vent one's spleen. In noble minds some dregs remain, Not yet purged off, of spleen and sour disdain. --Pope.
- A fit of anger; choler. --Shak.
- A sudden motion or action; a fit; a freak; a whim. [Obs. or R.] A thousand spleens bear her a thousand ways. --Shak.
- Melancholy; hypochondriacal affections. Bodies changed to various forms by spleen. --Pope. There is a luxury in self-dispraise: And inward self-disparagement affords To meditative spleen a grateful feast. --Wordsworth.
- A fit of immoderate laughter or merriment. [Obs.] Thy silly thought enforces my spleen. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Spleen'
The spleen (from Greek σπλήν - splēn
The spleen, in healthy adult humans, is approximately 11 centimetres (4.3 in) in length. It usually weighs between 150 grams (5.3 oz)
Like the thymus, the spleen possesses only efferent lymphatic vessels.
The spleen is part of the lymphatic system.[See more about Spleen at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Spleen'
Spleen Sample Sentences in News
- Novartis Drug PrJakavi® Associated with Significant Clinical Benefit for Patients with Debilitating and Life ...
Analyses of Phase III data provided evidence of sustained spleen reduction and quality of life improvements DORVAL, QC , March 7, 2014 /CNW/ - Study results presented at the 55th American Society of Hematology ... Read more on this news related to 'Spleen'
- Lymphoid cells discovered in human spleen, essential for production of antibodies
Researchers have discovered the presence of a novel subtype of innate lymphoid cells in human spleen essential for the production of antibodies. This discovery clears the path to the identification of novel strategies to develop more efficient vaccines against encapsulated bacteria, considered highly virulent. This research involved in vitro studies with isolated Read more on this news related to 'Spleen'
- A ruptured spleen left a 24-year-old Sheringham student close to death — healthy again, he thanks the air ambulance ...
A 24-year-old student who came close to death has thanked the two paramedics who saved him. Read more on this news related to 'Spleen'