Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Spleen'
- a large dark-red oval organ on the left side of the body between the stomach and the diaphragm; produces cells involved in immune responses [syn: lien]
- a feeling of resentful anger [syn: irascibility, short temper, quick temper]
- Spleen \Spleen\, v. t.
To dislke. [Obs.] --Bp. Hacket.
- Spleen \Spleen\, n. [L. splen, Gr. ???? the milt or spleen,
affection of the spleen; cf. L. lien, plihan, pl[=i]han.]
- (Anat.) A peculiar glandlike but ductless organ found near the stomach or intestine of most vertebrates and connected with the vascular system; the milt. Its exact function in not known.
- Anger; latent spite; ill humor; malice; as, to vent one's spleen. In noble minds some dregs remain, Not yet purged off, of spleen and sour disdain. --Pope.
- A fit of anger; choler. --Shak.
- A sudden motion or action; a fit; a freak; a whim. [Obs. or R.] A thousand spleens bear her a thousand ways. --Shak.
- Melancholy; hypochondriacal affections. Bodies changed to various forms by spleen. --Pope. There is a luxury in self-dispraise: And inward self-disparagement affords To meditative spleen a grateful feast. --Wordsworth.
- A fit of immoderate laughter or merriment. [Obs.] Thy silly thought enforces my spleen. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Spleen'
The spleen (from Greek σπλήν - splēn
The spleen, in healthy adult humans, is approximately 11 centimetres (4.3 in) in length. It usually weighs between 150 grams (5.3 oz)
Like the thymus, the spleen possesses only efferent lymphatic vessels.
The spleen is part of the lymphatic system.[See more about Spleen at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Spleen'
Spleen Sample Sentences in News
- Woman joins rebels, loses spleen
Marina lost her spleen and has a punctured lung. She was attached to a rebel group as a combat medic, and was hurt during the fighting, she told CNN from her hospital bed. Read more on this news related to 'Spleen'
- Russian woman joins Ukraine rebels
Medic Marina lost her spleen and suffered a punctured lung after crossing the border into Ukraine. Read more on this news related to 'Spleen'
- Russian woman joins rebel movement in Ukraine
Marina lost her spleen and has a punctured lung. She was attached to a rebel group as a combat medic, and was hurt during the fighting, she told CNN from her hospital bed. 0 0 read more Read more on this news related to 'Spleen'