Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Spine'
Spine Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the series of vertebrae forming the axis of the skeleton and protecting the spinal cord; "the fall broke his back" [syn: spinal column, vertebral column, backbone, back, rachis]
- any pointed projection [syn: spur]
- a sharp-pointed tip on a stem or leaf [syn: thorn, prickle, pricker, sticker]
- a sharp rigid animal process or appendage; as a porcupine quill or a ridge on a bone or a ray of a fish fin
- Spine \Spine\, n. [L. spina thorn, the spine; akin to spica a
point: cf. OF. espine, F. ['e]pine. Cf. Spike, Spinet a
musical instrument, Spinny.]
- (Bot.) A sharp appendage to any of a plant; a thorn.
- (Zo["o]l.) (a) A rigid and sharp projection upon any part of an animal. (b) One of the rigid and undivided fin rays of a fish.
- (Anat.) The backbone, or spinal column, of an animal; -- so called from the projecting processes upon the vertebr[ae].
- Anything resembling the spine or backbone; a ridge.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Spine'
- Spine: Spine or Spinal may refer to: Science Medicine : Vertebral column , commonly known as the backbone or spine, so named for its spinous ...
- Thorns, spines, and prickles: In botanical morphology , thorns, spines, and prickles are hard structures with sharp, or at least pointed, ends. In spite of this common ...
- Spine (zoology): A spine is a hard, thorny or needle-like structure which occurs on various animals. and sea urchin s grow spines as a self-defense mechanism. ...
- Dendritic spine: A dendritic spine (or spine) is a small membranous protrusion from a neuron's dendrite that typically receives input from a single synapse ...
Words and phrases related to 'Spine'
Spine Sample Sentences in News
- Titan Spine Study Wins Whitecloud Award for Best Basic Research at IMAST 2014
Titan Spine, a medical device surface technology company focused on developing innovative spinal interbody fusion implants, today announced that a research paper which evaluated their surface technology was awarded the prestigious Whitecloud Award for Best Basic Science Research from the Scoliosis Research Society. Read more on this news related to 'Spine'
- Straightening Sisay's Spine: A Twist Of Fate Saves A Boy's Life
Thousands of children in Ethiopia suffer from scoliosis so severe that humps grow from their backs. After two spinal surgeries, one little boy now hopes he'll be able to play soccer with his friends. Read more on this news related to 'Spine'
- Titan Spine Receives FDA Clearance to Launch Endoskeleton® TL Device for Lateral Spinal Fusion
Titan Spine, a medical device surface technology company focused on developing innovative spinal interbody fusion implants, today announced that it has received clearance from the U.S. Read more on this news related to 'Spine'