Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Spine'
Spine Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the series of vertebrae forming the axis of the skeleton and protecting the spinal cord; "the fall broke his back" [syn: spinal column, vertebral column, backbone, back, rachis]
- any pointed projection [syn: spur]
- a sharp-pointed tip on a stem or leaf [syn: thorn, prickle, pricker, sticker]
- a sharp rigid animal process or appendage; as a porcupine quill or a ridge on a bone or a ray of a fish fin
- Spine \Spine\, n. [L. spina thorn, the spine; akin to spica a
point: cf. OF. espine, F. ['e]pine. Cf. Spike, Spinet a
musical instrument, Spinny.]
- (Bot.) A sharp appendage to any of a plant; a thorn.
- (Zo["o]l.) (a) A rigid and sharp projection upon any part of an animal. (b) One of the rigid and undivided fin rays of a fish.
- (Anat.) The backbone, or spinal column, of an animal; -- so called from the projecting processes upon the vertebr[ae].
- Anything resembling the spine or backbone; a ridge.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Spine'
- Spine: Spine or Spinal may refer to: Science Medicine : Vertebral column , commonly known as the backbone or spine, so named for its spinous ...
- Thorns, spines, and prickles: In botanical morphology , thorns, spines, and prickles are hard structures with sharp, or at least pointed, ends. In spite of this common ...
- Spine (zoology): A spine is a hard, thorny or needle-like structure which occurs on various animals. and sea urchin s grow spines as a self-defense mechanism. ...
- Dendritic spine: A dendritic spine (or spine) is a small membranous protrusion from a neuron's dendrite that typically receives input from a single synapse ...
Words and phrases related to 'Spine'