Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Spine'
Spine Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- the series of vertebrae forming the axis of the skeleton and protecting the spinal cord; "the fall broke his back" [syn: spinal column, vertebral column, backbone, back, rachis]
- any pointed projection [syn: spur]
- a sharp-pointed tip on a stem or leaf [syn: thorn, prickle, pricker, sticker]
- a sharp rigid animal process or appendage; as a porcupine quill or a ridge on a bone or a ray of a fish fin
- Spine \Spine\, n. [L. spina thorn, the spine; akin to spica a
point: cf. OF. espine, F. ['e]pine. Cf. Spike, Spinet a
musical instrument, Spinny.]
- (Bot.) A sharp appendage to any of a plant; a thorn.
- (Zo["o]l.) (a) A rigid and sharp projection upon any part of an animal. (b) One of the rigid and undivided fin rays of a fish.
- (Anat.) The backbone, or spinal column, of an animal; -- so called from the projecting processes upon the vertebr[ae].
- Anything resembling the spine or backbone; a ridge.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Spine'
- Spine: Spine or Spinal may refer to: Science Medicine : Vertebral column , commonly known as the backbone or spine, so named for its spinous ...
- Thorns, spines, and prickles: In botanical morphology , thorns, spines, and prickles are hard structures with sharp, or at least pointed, ends. In spite of this common ...
- Spine (zoology): A spine is a hard, thorny or needle-like structure which occurs on various animals. and sea urchin s grow spines as a self-defense mechanism. ...
- Dendritic spine: A dendritic spine (or spine) is a small membranous protrusion from a neuron's dendrite that typically receives input from a single synapse ...
Words and phrases related to 'Spine'
Spine Sample Sentences in News
- Medline Acquires Key Spine Surgery Technology from Amendia
To help meet the healthcare industry’s growing demand for comprehensive solutions for cervical spine procedures, Medline Industries, Inc. today announced it has acquired the anterior cervical fusion distraction pin business from Amendia, a recognized leading provider of innovative Class II and Class III medical devices used in spinal surgical procedures. Read more on this news related to 'Spine'
- Alphatec Spine to Release First Quarter 2014 Financial Results
CARLSBAD, Calif. -- Alphatec Holdings, Inc. , the parent company of Alphatec Spine, Inc., a medical device company that provides physician-inspired solutions for patients with spinal disorders, will release ... Read more on this news related to 'Spine'
- NuVasive(R) Announces Conference Call And Webcast of First Quarter 2014 Results
NuVasive, Inc. , a medical device company focused on developing minimally disruptive surgical products and procedures for the spine, announced today that its first quarter 2014 earnings announcement will ... Read more on this news related to 'Spine'