Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Slur'
Slur Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- (music) a curved line spanning notes that are to be played legato
- a disparaging remark; "in the 19th century any reference to female sexuality was considered a vile aspersion"; "it is difficult for a woman to understand a man's sensitivity to any slur on his virility" [syn: aspersion]
- a blemish made by dirt; "he had a smudge on his cheek" [syn: smudge, spot, blot, daub, smear, smirch] v
- play smoothly or legato; "the pianist slurred the most beautiful passage in the sonata"
- speak disparagingly of; e.g., make a racial slur; "your comments are slurring your co-workers"
- utter indistinctly
- become vague or indistinct; "The distinction between the two theories blurred" [syn: blur, dim] [ant: focus] [also: slurring, slurred]
- Slur \Slur\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Slurred; p. pr. & vb. n.
Slurring.] [Cf. OE. sloor mud, clay, Icel. sl?ra, slo?ra,
to trail or drag one's self along, D. sleuren, sloren, to
train, to drag, to do negligently and slovenly, D. sloor,
sloerie, a sluttish girl.]
- To soil; to sully; to contaminate; to disgrace. --Cudworth.
- To disparage; to traduce. --Tennyson.
- To cover over; to disguise; to conceal; to pass over lightly or with little notice. With periods, points, and tropes, he slurs his crimes. --Dryden.
- To cheat, as by sliding a die; to trick. [R.] To slur men of what they fought for. --Hudibras.
- To pronounce indistinctly; as, to slur syllables.
- (Mus.) To sing or perform in a smooth, gliding style; to connect smoothly in performing, as several notes or tones. --Busby.
- (Print.) To blur or double, as an impression from type; to mackle.
- Slur \Slur\, n.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Slur'
- Slur: Slur can mean: Pejorative , any term of disparagement. Slur (phonology), unclear or abnormal enunciation. Slur (music), a symbol in Western ...
- List of ethnic slurs: The following is a list of ethnic slurs (ethnophaulisms) that are, or have been, used as insinuations or allegations about members of a ...
- Slur (music): A slur is a symbol in Western musical notation indicating that the notes it embraces are to be played without separation. This implies ...
- Sexual slur: A sexual slur is a term of disparagement used to refer to members of a given sexual minority , gender , sex , or sexual orientation in a ...
- Macaca (slur): The word macaque has also been used as a racial slur. The macaque's genus name, Macaca, is a latinization of the Bantu (Kongo ) ma-kako ...
Words and phrases related to 'Slur'