Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Slur'
Slur Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- (music) a curved line spanning notes that are to be played legato
- a disparaging remark; "in the 19th century any reference to female sexuality was considered a vile aspersion"; "it is difficult for a woman to understand a man's sensitivity to any slur on his virility" [syn: aspersion]
- a blemish made by dirt; "he had a smudge on his cheek" [syn: smudge, spot, blot, daub, smear, smirch] v
- play smoothly or legato; "the pianist slurred the most beautiful passage in the sonata"
- speak disparagingly of; e.g., make a racial slur; "your comments are slurring your co-workers"
- utter indistinctly
- become vague or indistinct; "The distinction between the two theories blurred" [syn: blur, dim] [ant: focus] [also: slurring, slurred]
- Slur \Slur\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Slurred; p. pr. & vb. n.
Slurring.] [Cf. OE. sloor mud, clay, Icel. sl?ra, slo?ra,
to trail or drag one's self along, D. sleuren, sloren, to
train, to drag, to do negligently and slovenly, D. sloor,
sloerie, a sluttish girl.]
- To soil; to sully; to contaminate; to disgrace. --Cudworth.
- To disparage; to traduce. --Tennyson.
- To cover over; to disguise; to conceal; to pass over lightly or with little notice. With periods, points, and tropes, he slurs his crimes. --Dryden.
- To cheat, as by sliding a die; to trick. [R.] To slur men of what they fought for. --Hudibras.
- To pronounce indistinctly; as, to slur syllables.
- (Mus.) To sing or perform in a smooth, gliding style; to connect smoothly in performing, as several notes or tones. --Busby.
- (Print.) To blur or double, as an impression from type; to mackle.
- Slur \Slur\, n.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Slur'
- Slur: Slur can mean: Pejorative , any term of disparagement. Slur (phonology), unclear or abnormal enunciation. Slur (music), a symbol in Western ...
- List of ethnic slurs: The following is a list of ethnic slurs (ethnophaulisms) that are, or have been, used as insinuations or allegations about members of a ...
- Slur (music): A slur is a symbol in Western musical notation indicating that the notes it embraces are to be played without separation. This implies ...
- Sexual slur: A sexual slur is a term of disparagement used to refer to members of a given sexual minority , gender , sex , or sexual orientation in a ...
- Macaca (slur): The word macaque has also been used as a racial slur. The macaque's genus name, Macaca, is a latinization of the Bantu (Kongo ) ma-kako ...
Words and phrases related to 'Slur'
Slur Sample Sentences in News
- Did a Kansas City sports anchor use a slur to describe the Jayhawks?
A Kansas City sports anchor known for his provocative on-air persona has come under fire for allegedly referring to the Kansas basketball team by a derogatory slur. Jack Harry, sports director of Kansas City's NBC affiliate KSHB, appeared to refer … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Slur'
- Mother becomes focus of investigation into racial slur spray painted on Massachusetts football player’s home
If it's possible for a story about a racial slur spray painted on the side of a young football player's house to get any worse, it might have just happened in Lunenburg, Mass. The story of Andrea Brazier discovering, "Knights don’t need n------," spray painted in blue on the side of her home on Nov. 15 made national news, including here at Prep Read more on this news related to 'Slur'
- Vic Labor 'slur' on DPP over Shaw
The Vic premier is outraged by Labor's slur on the decision to drop criminal charges against MP Geoff Shaw. Read more on this news related to 'Slur'