Slang Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a characteristic language of a particular group (as among thieves); "they don''t speak our lingo"
- informal language consisting of words and expressions that are not considered appropriate for formal occasions; often vituperative or vulgar; "their speech was full of slang expressions"
- abuse with coarse language
- fool or hoax; "The immigrant was duped because he trusted everyone"; "You can''t fool me!"
- use slang or vulgar language
Definitions from Wiktionary
- informal language consisting of words and expressions that are not considered appropriate for formal occasions; often vituperative or vulgar; "their speech was full of slang expressions" ,
- a characteristic language of a particular group (as among thieves); "they don't speak our lingo"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Slang'?
Slang Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Slang are words that are informal. Usually each generation or social group has its own slang - for example, older people can have trouble understanding the slang of younger people. On the other hand, younger people often understand, but find silly or old-fashioned, the slang of older people.
Over time, language tends to get more complex, since new words enter much faster than old words leave. Over time, slang almost always becomes part of the language, and approved for use by all.
It has also happened that some words used in Anglo-Saxon for bodily functions became thought of as profanity or rude after they were replaced by Latinate words like "urinate", "defecate" and "copulate" - which polite people were supposed to use after the Norman conquest of England in 1066. This was in part a way of making poor people (who spoke Anglo-Saxon) all appear to be rude, while more powerful people (who spoke Norman) appeared to be polite - one way that etiquette can develop, and reinforce power structure. This is only one example from history of how racism can be a reason for defining one group's language as 'slang' and another as 'correct'.
Words and phrases related to 'Slang'
'Slang' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Slang'
Slang Sample Sentences in News
- Explaining Internet Slang: 'On Fleek'
Interestingly, the term survived being hijacked by both Taco Bell and IHOP on Twitter Read more on this news related to 'Slang'
- '80s holiday gift idea: The '80s slang poster
All the '80s slang I ever needed to learn I got from Debbie Foreman and the cast of the 1983 flick Valley Girl . Man, it's like tripendicular, you know? But just in case there's a few choice phrases that slipped your mind, here's the official '80s Slang Poster. Read more on this news related to 'Slang'
- Slang Words 2014: 22 Words And Phrases You Should Know This Year
It's been a year a year of countless hashtags, acronyms and phrases that would make many people scratch their heads, but we've finally come up with our annual slang words list of 2014. These are the words and phrases that teens loved and used throughout the year, both in everyday conversation and over social media sites like Facebook and Instagram. And as Read more on this news related to 'Slang'