Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Skein'
Skein Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : coils of worsted yarn
- Skein \Skein\, n. [OE. skeyne, OF. escaigne, F. ['e]cagne,
probably of Celtic origin; cf. Ir. sgainne, Gael. sgeinnidh
thread, small twine; or perhaps the English word is
immediately from Celtic.]
- A quantity of yarn, thread, or the like, put up together, after it is taken from the reel, -- usually tied in a sort of knot. Note: A skein of cotton yarn is formed by eighty turns of the thread round a fifty-four inch reel.
- (Wagon Making) A metallic strengthening band or thimble on the wooden arm of an axle. --Knight.
- Skein \Skein\, n. (Zo["o]l.)
A flight of wild fowl (wild geese or the like). [Prov. Eng.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Skein'
- Skein: Skein may refer to: A flock of geese or ducks in flight. Skein dubh , a Scottish knife. Skein module , a mathematical concept. Skein relation ...
- Skein (hash function): Skein is a cryptographic hash function and an entrant in the NIST hash function competition to design what will become the SHA-3 ...
- Skein (comics): Skein (real name Sybil Dvorak, formerly known as Gypsy Moth and Sybarite) is a fictional character , a mutant supervillain in the ...
- Skein relation: Skein relations are often used to give a simple definition of knot polynomials. Informally, a skein relation gives a linear relation ...
- With a Tangled Skein: With a Tangled Skein is a fantasy novel by Piers Anthony . It is the third of eight books in the Incarnations of Immortality series. ...
- The Tangled Skein: It was re-released under the title The Tangled Skein in 1907, following the success of The Scarlet Pimpernel . The book is a period romance ...
Words and phrases related to 'Skein'
Skein Sample Sentences in News
- Weston baseball tries to stop losing skein
After clinching a tournament berth and bringing its record to 7-8, the Weston baseball team had ideas of finishing its season on a hot-streak that would see its final record above .500. Read more on this news related to 'Skein'
- Revs blanked, still unbeaten in 5
FOXBORO - The result was not what was fully desired, but it was a point nonetheless and the New England Revolution extended its unbeaten skein to five matches in dueling D.C. United to a 0-0 standoff Saturday night at Gillette Stadium. Read more on this news related to 'Skein'
- Red Sox crush Phillies, move back into first place
Looking for another reason to be encouraged by the first two months of the season? Consider this – the Red Sox have been really good for all but 10 days. They opened 20-8 and remained in first place until early May. Then they hit a little skein, going 2-9 from May 3-14. But since then? Smooth sailing. The Red Sox pounded the Phillies 9-3 tonight for their 10th v Read more on this news related to 'Skein'