Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Seizure'
- a sudden occurrence (or recurrence) of a disease; "he suffered an epileptic seizure" [syn: ictus, raptus]
- the act of forcibly dispossessing an owner of property [syn: capture, gaining control]
- the act of taking of a person by force [syn: capture]
- the taking possession of something by legal process
- Seizure \Sei"zure\, n.
- The act of seizing, or the state of being seized; sudden and violent grasp or gripe; a taking into possession; as, the seizure of a thief, a property, a throne, etc.
- Retention within one's grasp or power; hold; possession; ownership. Make o'er thy honor by a deed of trust, And give me seizure of the mighty wealth. --Dryden.
- That which is seized, or taken possession of; a thing laid hold of, or possessed.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Seizure'
An epileptic seizure, occasionally referred to as a fit, is defined as a transient symptom of "abnormal excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain". The outward effect can be as dramatic as a wild thrashing movement (tonic-clonic seizure) or as mild as a brief loss of awareness. It can manifest as an alteration in mental state, tonic or clonic movements, convulsions, and various other psychic symptoms (such as déjà vu or jamais vu). Sometimes it is not accompanied by convulsions but a full body "slump", where the person simply will lose control of their body and slump to the ground. The medical syndrome of recurrent, unprovoked seizures is termed epilepsy, but seizures can occur in people who do not have epilepsy.
About 4% of people will have an unprovoked seizure by the age of 80 and the chance of experiencing a second seizure is between 30% and 50%. Most single episode seizures are managed by primary care physicians (emergency or general practitioners), whereas investigation and management of ongoing epilepsy is usually by neurologists. Difficult-to-manage epilepsy may require consultation with an epileptologist, a neurologist with an interest in epilepsy.[See more about Seizure at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Seizure'
Seizure Sample Sentences in News
- Scant data on seizure drugs for women's genital pain
By Kerry Grens NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Although doctors sometimes prescribe anti-seizure drugs to treat chronic pain in the vulva, just a handful of low-quality studies have examined the drugs' effects, according to a new review. Based on these studies, "it's very difficult to make definitive statements on efficacy," said Dr. Raphael Leo, the study's author fr Read more on this news related to 'Seizure'
- Report: D-Backs' McCarthy recovering from seizure
Arizona Diamondbacks right-hander Brandon McCarthy is recovering from a seizure suffered while eating at a restaurant in Phoenix with his wife last week, according to the Arizona Republic. Read more on this news related to 'Seizure'
- With Epilepsy Treatment, The Goal Is To Keep Kids Seizure-Free
For children with epilepsy, doctors now try to prevent seizures altogether. It's a big switch in thinking from the days when seizures weren't considered such a bad thing. That changed due to research showing that seizures can affect learning and memory. Read more on this news related to 'Seizure'