Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Seizure'
- a sudden occurrence (or recurrence) of a disease; "he suffered an epileptic seizure" [syn: ictus, raptus]
- the act of forcibly dispossessing an owner of property [syn: capture, gaining control]
- the act of taking of a person by force [syn: capture]
- the taking possession of something by legal process
- Seizure \Sei"zure\, n.
- The act of seizing, or the state of being seized; sudden and violent grasp or gripe; a taking into possession; as, the seizure of a thief, a property, a throne, etc.
- Retention within one's grasp or power; hold; possession; ownership. Make o'er thy honor by a deed of trust, And give me seizure of the mighty wealth. --Dryden.
- That which is seized, or taken possession of; a thing laid hold of, or possessed.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Seizure'
An epileptic seizure, occasionally referred to as a fit, is defined as a transient symptom of "abnormal excessive or synchronous neuronal activity in the brain". The outward effect can be as dramatic as a wild thrashing movement (tonic-clonic seizure) or as mild as a brief loss of awareness. It can manifest as an alteration in mental state, tonic or clonic movements, convulsions, and various other psychic symptoms (such as déjà vu or jamais vu). Sometimes it is not accompanied by convulsions but a full body "slump", where the person simply will lose control of their body and slump to the ground. The medical syndrome of recurrent, unprovoked seizures is termed epilepsy, but seizures can occur in people who do not have epilepsy.
About 4% of people will have an unprovoked seizure by the age of 80 and the chance of experiencing a second seizure is between 30% and 50%. Most single episode seizures are managed by primary care physicians (emergency or general practitioners), whereas investigation and management of ongoing epilepsy is usually by neurologists. Difficult-to-manage epilepsy may require consultation with an epileptologist, a neurologist with an interest in epilepsy.[See more about Seizure at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Seizure'
Seizure Sample Sentences in News
- Video: Seizure note goes viral
Kyle Severson of the Minneapolis Police responded to an emergency call and helped a man who was suffering from a seizure, getting him help and parking his car instead of impounding it. Severson put a note about where to find the car in the man’s pocket, and news of his good deed quickly spread. Read more on this news related to 'Seizure'
- Georgia state lawmakers OK medical marijuana as seizure treatment
By David Beasley ATLANTA (Reuters) - A Georgia measure that would legalize use of a liquid, non-intoxicating form of marijuana for patients with severe seizure disorders has been passed by the state House of Representatives with wide support. Lawmakers approved the legislation on Monday in a 171-4 bipartisan vote, and the bill, which would limit availability of me Read more on this news related to 'Seizure'
- Seizure a possibility in RFK daughter's car crash: NY expert
By Victoria Cavaliere WHITE PLAINS, New York (Reuters) - Kerry Kennedy, daughter of assassinated U.S. Senator Robert F. Kennedy, was so disoriented after side-swiping a truck in 2012 that it appeared she may have suffered a seizure, a New York state trooper testified on Tuesday at her impaired driving trial. Trooper Bradley Molloy was called to the witness stand b Read more on this news related to 'Seizure'