Sand Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- fortitude and determination; "he didn''t have the guts to try it"
- French writer known for works concerning women''s rights and independence (1804-1876)
- a loose material consisting of grains of rock or coral
- rub with sandpaper; "sandpaper the wooden surface"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a loose material consisting of grains of rock or coral ,
- French writer known for works concerning women's rights and independence (1804-1876) ,
- fortitude and determination; "he didn't have the guts to try it"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Sand'?
Sand Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Sand is a mixture of very small pieces of different rocks or minerals. Sand grains are between the size of gravel grains (which is from 2 mm to 64 mm) and the size of silt (which is around 0.0625 mm to 0.004 mm). It is found on beaches, and in deserts.
Sand is most of the time made of silica (silicon dioxide, or SiO2). Sand is also formed by Granite by weathering and erosion. Sand is made from large boulders eroding (being broken apart by wind or rocks). They get smaller and smaller until they reach the beach or a low lying area. Sand dunes are made when wind or a river pulls sand into a mountain-like shape. They can be found in deserts, but sometimes high up on beaches too.
Sand can be mixed with water to make concrete, a tough material which can be used in buildings to help support the structure. It can also be used to make bricks or sand castles. When mixed with water sand will become mud.
Words and phrases related to 'Sand'
'Sand' example sentence in quotations
* The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us and we see nothing but sand the angels come to visit us, and we only know them when they are gone. - George Eliot
* The trebling of the population in this small and impoverished country, flowing with milk and honey but not with sufficient water, rich in rocks and sand dunes but poor in natural resources and vital raw materials, has been no easy task Indeed, practical men, with their eyes fixed upon things as they are, regarded it as an empty and insubstantial utopian dream. - Benjamin Nnamdi Azikiwe
Click here for more related quotations on 'Sand'
Sand Sample Sentences in News
- Sand-sational: Traveller writers divulge their favourite beaches
When it comes to beaches, Australians are spoilt for choice, yet we like to travel in search of perfection, to enjoy culture and the beauty other places have to offer. Read more on this news related to 'Sand'
- On the Dutch coast, an experiment in sand
By Alister Doyle TER HEIJDE, Netherlands (Reuters) - A pile of sand about eight times the volume of the Great Pyramid of Giza is shaping up as a cut-rate model for protecting coasts from rising seas. The “Sand Engine” is 28 million cubic yards (21.5 million cubic meters) covering an area 1.2 miles (2 km) long and half a mile wide. Dumped along the shore here i Read more on this news related to 'Sand'
- Consolidated Goldfields Announces Frac Sand Property Acquisition, Special Meeting of Shareholders
Consolidated Goldfields Corporation is pleased to announce it has acquired mineral rights in three properties in Alberta and Manitoba, Canada from 1824455 Alberta Ltd. Read more on this news related to 'Sand'