Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Risky'
- involving risk or danger; "skydiving is a hazardous sport"; "extremely risky going out in the tide and fog"; "a venturesome journey in wintertime"; "a venturous enterprise" [syn: hazardous, venturesome, venturous]
- not financially safe or secure; "a bad investment"; "high risk investments"; "anything that promises to pay too much can't help being risky"; "speculative business enterprises" [syn: bad, insecure, high-risk, speculative] [also: riskiest, riskier]
- Risky \Risk"y\, a.
Attended with risk or danger; hazardous. ``A risky matter.''
Generalization are always risky. --Lowell.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Risky'
The following WikiProjects or Portals may be able to help recruit one:
Risk is the potential that a chosen action or activity (including the choice of inaction) will lead to a loss (an undesirable outcome). The notion implies that a choice having an influence on the outcome exists (or existed). Potential losses themselves may also be called "risks". Almost any human endeavour carries some risk, but some are much more risky then others.
For the sociologist Niklas Luhmann the term 'risk' is a neologism that appeared with the transition from traditional to modern society.
Scenario analysis matured during Cold War confrontations between major powers, notably the United States and the Soviet Union. It became widespread in insurance circles in the 1970s when major oil tanker disasters forced a more comprehensive foresight. The scientific approach to risk entered finance in the 1960s with the advent of the capital asset pricing model and became increasingly important in the 1980s when financial derivatives proliferated. It reached general professions in the 1990s when the power of personal computing allowed for widespread data collection and numbers crunching.[See more about Risky at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Risky'
Risky Sample Sentences in News
- Taking HIV prevention pill may not encourage risky sex - US study
Taking a pill as a preventive measure against HIV infection may not encourage people at high risk for the disease to engage in risky sexual behavior, according to a new U.S. study meant to address fears about its use. The research, published in the Public Library of Science journal PLOS ONE, builds on the 2010 landmark study that found Gilead Sciences Inc's Tr Read more on this news related to 'Risky'
- Taking HIV prevention pill may not encourage risky sex: U.S. study
By Julie Steenhuysen CHICAGO (Reuters) - Taking a pill as a preventive measure against HIV infection may not encourage people at high risk for the disease to engage in risky sexual behavior, according to a new U.S. study meant to address fears about its use. The research, published in the Public Library of Science journal PLOS ONE, builds on the 2010 landmark stud Read more on this news related to 'Risky'
- Two Stock Buys In An Extremely Risky Market
When ValuEngine.com shows that 84.3% of all stocks are overvalued with 54.5% overvalued by 20% or more the stock market is extremely risky. Read more on this news related to 'Risky'