Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Resort'
- a hotel located in a resort area [syn: resort hotel, holiday resort}]
- a frequently visited place [syn: haunt, hangout, repair, stamping ground]
- something or someone turned to for assistance or security; "his only recourse was the police"; "took refuge in lying" [syn: recourse, refuge]
- act of turning to for assistance; "have recourse to the courts"; "an appeal to his uncle was his last resort" [syn: recourse, refuge] v
- have recourse to; "The government resorted to rationing meat" [syn: fall back, recur]
- move, travel, or proceed toward some place; "He repaired to his cabin in the woods" [syn: repair]
- Resort \Re*sort"\ (r?*z?rt"), n. [Cf. F. ressort jurisdiction.
See Resort, v.]
- The act of going to, or making application; a betaking one's self; the act of visiting or seeking; recourse; as, a place of popular resort; -- often figuratively; as, to have resort to force. Join with me to forbid him her resort. --Shak.
- A place to which one betakes himself habitually; a place of frequent assembly; a haunt. Far from all resort of mirth. --Milton.
- That to which one resorts or looks for help; resource; refuge. Last resort, ultimate means of relief; also, final tribunal; that from which there is no appeal.
- Resort \Re*sort"\ (r?*z?rt"), n. [F. ressort.]
Active power or movement; spring. [A Gallicism] [Obs.]
Some . . . know the resorts and falls of business that
can not sink into the main of it. --Bacon.
- Resort \Re*sort"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Resorted; p. pr. & vb.
n. Resorting.] [OF. resortir to withdraw, take refuge, F.
ressortir to be in the jurisdiction, LL. resortire; pref. re-
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Resort'
A resort is a place used for relaxation or recreation, attracting visitors for holidays or vacations. Resorts are places, towns or sometimes commercial establishment operated by a single company. Such a self-contained resort attempts to provide for most of a vacationer's wants while remaining on the premises, such as food, drink, lodging, sports, entertainment, and shopping. The term "resort" sometimes is misused to identify a hotel that does not provide the other amenities required of a full resort. However, a hotel is frequently a central feature of a resort, such as the Grand Hotel at Mackinac Island, Michigan. A resort is not merely a commercial establishment operated by a single company, although in the late twentieth century this sort of facility became more common.
Towns that contain resorts—or where tourism or vacationing is a major part of the local activity—are often called resort towns. Towns such as Sochi in Russia, Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt, Barizo of Spain, Cortina d'Ampezzo of Italy, Druskininkai of Lithuania, Nice or French Riviera of France or Newport, Rhode Island or St. Moritz, Switzerland, or larger regions, like the Adirondack Mountains or the Italian Riviera are well known resorts. The Walt Disney World Resort is a prominent example of a modern, self-contained commercial resort. Resorts exist throughout the world, increasingly attracting visitors from around the globe. Thailand, for instance, has become a popular destination. Resorts are especially prevalent in Central America and the Caribbean. Closely related to resorts are convention and large meeting sites. Generally these occur in cities where special meeting halls, together with ample accommodations as well as varied dining and entertainment are provided.[See more about Resort at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Resort'
'Resort' in famous quotation sentence
* We shall have lost something vital and beyond price on the day when the state denies us the right to resort to force... - Louis D. Brandeis
* Consistency is the last resort of the unimaginative. - Oscar Wilde
Click here for more related quotations on 'Resort'
Resort Sample Sentences in News
- Ski resort to offer Utah's longest zip line tour
PROVO, Utah (AP) — Utah's Sundance Mountain Resort has announced plans to add one of the longest zip line tours in the country. Read more on this news related to 'Resort'
- Rivers Casino Named ‘Best Overall Gaming Resort’ in PA for Fifth Consecutive Year
Rivers Casino was named “Best Overall Gaming Resort” in Pennsylvania by Casino Player magazine’s readers for the fifth year in a row. The casino took home a total of 15 first-place awards, including “Best Casino,” “Best Players Club,” “Best Promotions” and “Best Dealers.” Category winners are voted by readers in the publication’s “Best of Read more on this news related to 'Resort'
- Sentoria buys Langkawi land for resort city and medical village
KUALA LUMPUR: Property developer and leisure resort operator Sentoria Group Bhd announced that it had secured two pieces of leasehold... Read more on this news related to 'Resort'