Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Resilience'
- the physical property of a material that can return to its original shape or position after deformation that does not exceed its elastic limit [syn: resiliency]
- an occurrence of rebounding or springing back [syn: resiliency]
- Resilience \Re*sil"i*ence\ (r?-z?l"?-ens), Resiliency
\Re*sil"i*en*cy\ (-en-s?), n.
- The act of resiling, springing back, or rebounding; as, the resilience of a ball or of sound.
- (Mech. & Engyn.) The mechanical work required to strain an elastic body, as a deflected beam, stretched spring, etc., to the elastic limit; also, the work performed by the body in recovering from such strain.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Resilience'
Resilience is the property of a material to absorb energy when it is deformed elastically and then, upon unloading to have this energy recovered. In other words, it is the maximum energy per unit volume that can be elastically stored. It is represented by the area under the curve in the elastic region in the stress-strain curve.
Modulus of resilience, Ur, can be calculated using the following formula: , where σy is yield stress, E is Young's modulus, and is strain.
An example of a biomaterial which has a high resilience is articular cartilage, the substance lining the ends of bones in articulating joints such as the knee and hip.
It might be different to Rebound resilience which is used for instance in relation with foam.[See more about Resilience at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Resilience'
'Resilience' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Resilience'
Resilience Sample Sentences in News
- Resilience Capital Partners Announces Recapitalization and Seeks Acquisitions
CLEVELAND, Sept. 4, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Resilience Capital Partners, a Cleveland-based private equity firm, has announced that its portfolio company Thermal Product Solutions ("TPS") has completed ... Read more on this news related to 'Resilience'
- Davis' versatility, resilience add depth to Rice's running game
Davis led a reinvigorated Owls rushing attack Saturday against seventh-ranked Texas A&M. He finished with 86 yards, combining with running back Darik Dillard and quarterback Driphus Jackson to grind out 240 yards against the Aggies defense. The Week 3 turnaround was welcome for the Owls' running game after it struggled in the season opener against Notre Dame. Read more on this news related to 'Resilience'
- Football - Hatters resilience pleases Still
Luton boss John Still was delighted with his side's resilience as they emerged 1-0 winners over Cheltenham. Read more on this news related to 'Resilience'