Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Resilience'
- the physical property of a material that can return to its original shape or position after deformation that does not exceed its elastic limit [syn: resiliency]
- an occurrence of rebounding or springing back [syn: resiliency]
- Resilience \Re*sil"i*ence\ (r?-z?l"?-ens), Resiliency
\Re*sil"i*en*cy\ (-en-s?), n.
- The act of resiling, springing back, or rebounding; as, the resilience of a ball or of sound.
- (Mech. & Engyn.) The mechanical work required to strain an elastic body, as a deflected beam, stretched spring, etc., to the elastic limit; also, the work performed by the body in recovering from such strain.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Resilience'
Resilience is the property of a material to absorb energy when it is deformed elastically and then, upon unloading to have this energy recovered. In other words, it is the maximum energy per unit volume that can be elastically stored. It is represented by the area under the curve in the elastic region in the stress-strain curve.
Modulus of resilience, Ur, can be calculated using the following formula: , where σy is yield stress, E is Young's modulus, and is strain.
An example of a biomaterial which has a high resilience is articular cartilage, the substance lining the ends of bones in articulating joints such as the knee and hip.
It might be different to Rebound resilience which is used for instance in relation with foam.[See more about Resilience at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Resilience'
'Resilience' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Resilience'
Resilience Sample Sentences in News
- Los Angeles Department of Public Health is National Model for Community Disaster Resilience
In response to a directive from President Obama to embrace a community resilience approach to disaster preparedness, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health is leading the national “resilience” discussion, an emerging approach to public health emergency preparedness and response. Read more on this news related to 'Resilience'
- The Rockefeller Foundation Launches Challenge to Build Greater Resilience in 100 Cities around the World
100 Resilient Cities Challenge Announced on Day of Foundation's Centennial Foundation makes $100 million effort to build resilience in cities worldwide BANGKOK, May 14, 2013/PRNewswire/ -- Rooted in a ... Read more on this news related to 'Resilience'
- Questor: Betfair shows resilience as takeover talks collapse
Takeover bid throws light on Betfairs turnaround ambitions. Questor says hold. Read more on this news related to 'Resilience'