Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Repugnant'
Repugnant Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : offensive to the mind; "an abhorrent deed"; "the obscene
massacre at Wounded Knee"; "morally repugnant customs";
"repulsive behavior"; "the most repulsive character in
recent novels" [syn: abhorrent, detestable, obscene,
- Repugnant \Re*pug"nant\ (-nant), a. [F. r['e]pugnant, or L.
repugnans, -antis, p. pr. of repugnare. See Repugn.]
Disposed to fight against; hostile; at war with; being at
variance; contrary; inconsistent; refractory; disobedient;
also, distasteful in a high degree; offensive; -- usually
followed by to, rarely and less properly by with; as, all
rudeness was repugnant to her nature.
[His sword] repugnant to command. --Shak.
There is no breach of a divine law but is more or less
repugnant unto the will of the Lawgiver, God himself.
Syn: Opposite; opposed; adverse; contrary; inconsistent;
irreconcilable; hostile; inimical.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Repugnant'
- Repugnant battle honours of the Indian Army: erstwhile units of the British East India Company , and later the British Raj , have been declared as repugnant by the Government of India . ...
- Repugnant market: A repugnant market is a term used to describe an area of commerce that is considered by society to be outside of the range of market ...
Words and phrases related to 'Repugnant'
Repugnant Sample Sentences in News
- Allan Rock calls University of Ottawa incidents 'repugnant'
University of Ottawa president Allan Rock calls two recent sexual misconduct scandals involving students "repugnant" as the school announces a task force on the matter. Read more on this news related to 'Repugnant'
- Stewart Trashes ‘Morally Repugnant’ AZ Bill and Fox’s ‘Apocalyptic Paranoia’
Jon Stewart opened Wednesday night's Daily Show taking on the Arizona discrimination bill, expressing disdain with how "morally repugnant" it is and how much Republicans opposing it aren't even acknowledging that as the reason it's bad in the first place. Read more on this news related to 'Repugnant'
- Jon Stewart Calls Arizona 'Morally Repugnant' as He Tears Down Its Anti-Gay Bill
The Daily Show started last night’s episode by breaking down the absolute clusterfuck that is Arizona’s anti-gay bill, SB 1062. Of course, last night governor Jan Brewer vetoed the bill that would allow businesses to discriminate against customers citing religious reasons (see: anti-homosexuality), and thus (hopefully) put an end to this whole ordeal, but no Read more on this news related to 'Repugnant'