Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Repugnant'
Repugnant Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : offensive to the mind; "an abhorrent deed"; "the obscene
massacre at Wounded Knee"; "morally repugnant customs";
"repulsive behavior"; "the most repulsive character in
recent novels" [syn: abhorrent, detestable, obscene,
- Repugnant \Re*pug"nant\ (-nant), a. [F. r['e]pugnant, or L.
repugnans, -antis, p. pr. of repugnare. See Repugn.]
Disposed to fight against; hostile; at war with; being at
variance; contrary; inconsistent; refractory; disobedient;
also, distasteful in a high degree; offensive; -- usually
followed by to, rarely and less properly by with; as, all
rudeness was repugnant to her nature.
[His sword] repugnant to command. --Shak.
There is no breach of a divine law but is more or less
repugnant unto the will of the Lawgiver, God himself.
Syn: Opposite; opposed; adverse; contrary; inconsistent;
irreconcilable; hostile; inimical.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Repugnant'
- Repugnant battle honours of the Indian Army: erstwhile units of the British East India Company , and later the British Raj , have been declared as repugnant by the Government of India . ...
- Repugnant market: A repugnant market is a term used to describe an area of commerce that is considered by society to be outside of the range of market ...
Words and phrases related to 'Repugnant'
Repugnant Sample Sentences in News
- Ukip MEPs Voted Against Ivory Trade Clampdown In European Parliament
Ukip has been branded "morally repugnant" after it emerged the party's MEPs - including Nigel Farage - voted against a resolution designed to combat the illegal ivory trade in Europe. Only 14 of the 671 politicians who voted opposed the resolution, and six of them were Ukip. They included Farage, along with the party's deputy leader Paul Nuttall, Read more on this news related to 'Repugnant'
- Victim of racial vandalism frustrated by investigation despite community outreach
Riverdale has rallied to show its abhorrence for repugnant, racially charged vandalism — even as the victim said he has become exasperated by the ongoing police investigation into the incident earlier this month. Read more on this news related to 'Repugnant'
- Lib Dems disown 'repugnant' Cyril Smith but stand accused of cover-up
New book claims that senior party members conspired to protect late MP from prosecution for child sex offences The Liberal Democrats have disowned their former icon, Sir Cyril Smith, amid evidence of appalling and repeated sexual abuse of children, as a new controversy raged over allegations that police, spies and politicians connived in an establishment cover-up Read more on this news related to 'Repugnant'