Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Repugnant'
Repugnant Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : offensive to the mind; "an abhorrent deed"; "the obscene
massacre at Wounded Knee"; "morally repugnant customs";
"repulsive behavior"; "the most repulsive character in
recent novels" [syn: abhorrent, detestable, obscene,
- Repugnant \Re*pug"nant\ (-nant), a. [F. r['e]pugnant, or L.
repugnans, -antis, p. pr. of repugnare. See Repugn.]
Disposed to fight against; hostile; at war with; being at
variance; contrary; inconsistent; refractory; disobedient;
also, distasteful in a high degree; offensive; -- usually
followed by to, rarely and less properly by with; as, all
rudeness was repugnant to her nature.
[His sword] repugnant to command. --Shak.
There is no breach of a divine law but is more or less
repugnant unto the will of the Lawgiver, God himself.
Syn: Opposite; opposed; adverse; contrary; inconsistent;
irreconcilable; hostile; inimical.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Repugnant'
- Repugnant battle honours of the Indian Army: erstwhile units of the British East India Company , and later the British Raj , have been declared as repugnant by the Government of India . ...
- Repugnant market: A repugnant market is a term used to describe an area of commerce that is considered by society to be outside of the range of market ...
Words and phrases related to 'Repugnant'
Repugnant Sample Sentences in News
- Birmingham Islamic Society condemns Islamic State as 'morally repugnant'
The Birmingham Islamic Society has released a statement condemning the killing of two American journalists by the Islamic State terror group. Read more on this news related to 'Repugnant'
- Doctor's actions 'morally repugnant'
A doctor who was found guilty of indecently assaulting two young boys, who were the children of a family friend, has been struck off. read more Read more on this news related to 'Repugnant'
- ISIS puts pressure on Obama to act
If nothing else, the latest ISIS act of barbarism brought a quick political consensus, and added pressure on President Barack Obama: Caution in the face of repugnant horror just won't do. Read more on this news related to 'Repugnant'