Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Relegate'
Relegate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- refer to another person for decision or judgment; "She likes to relegate difficult questions to her colleagues" [syn: pass on, submit]
- assign to a lower position; reduce in rank; "She was demoted because she always speaks up"; "He was broken down to Sargeant" [syn: demote, bump, break, kick downstairs] [ant: promote]
- expel, as if by official decree; "he was banished from his own country" [syn: banish, bar]
- assign to a class or kind; "How should algae be classified?"; "People argue about how to relegate certain mushrooms" [syn: classify]
- Relegate \Rel"e*gate\ (r?l"?-g?t), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Relegated (-g?`t?d); p. pr. & vb. n. Relegating.] [L.
relegatus, p. p. of relegare; pref. re- re- + legare to send
with a commission or charge. See Legate.]
To remove, usually to an inferior position; to consign; to
transfer; specifically, to send into exile; to banish.
It [the Latin language] was relegated into the study of
the scholar. --Milman.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Relegate'
Words and phrases related to 'Relegate'
Relegate Sample Sentences in News
- Facebook News Feed to prioritise 'high quality' articles and relegate 'meme photos'
The social network said according to an internal survey, people prefer clicking on links to articles on established websites rather than comedic photos or memes Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'
- Bill Bratton Says He’s Okay With Working Out of Unused Trailer
The city’s future police commissioner today dismissed suggestions that a decision by the current administration to relegate Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio’s police transition team to a trailer outside One Police Plaza amounted to a slight. “Actually, that would be an improvement over last time,” Mr. Bratton told Politicker, answering questions today at a press Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'
- Indian films should promote culture: Israeli filmmaker
Kolkata, Nov 11 (IANS) Stating that cinema should mirror society besides providing entertainment, noted Israeli filmmaker Amos Gitai Monday exhorted Indian directors to project the country's culture through their creations and not just relegate them to an entertainment medium. "India has to produce strong culture, not just entertainment... it's not ju Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'