Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Relegate'
Relegate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- refer to another person for decision or judgment; "She likes to relegate difficult questions to her colleagues" [syn: pass on, submit]
- assign to a lower position; reduce in rank; "She was demoted because she always speaks up"; "He was broken down to Sargeant" [syn: demote, bump, break, kick downstairs] [ant: promote]
- expel, as if by official decree; "he was banished from his own country" [syn: banish, bar]
- assign to a class or kind; "How should algae be classified?"; "People argue about how to relegate certain mushrooms" [syn: classify]
- Relegate \Rel"e*gate\ (r?l"?-g?t), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Relegated (-g?`t?d); p. pr. & vb. n. Relegating.] [L.
relegatus, p. p. of relegare; pref. re- re- + legare to send
with a commission or charge. See Legate.]
To remove, usually to an inferior position; to consign; to
transfer; specifically, to send into exile; to banish.
It [the Latin language] was relegated into the study of
the scholar. --Milman.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Relegate'
Words and phrases related to 'Relegate'
Relegate Sample Sentences in News
- Why venture capitalists are right to be crazy about Bitcoin
Bitcoin is controversial. Some people believe that it's the future of money, destined to relegate dollars, euros, and yen to the dustbin of history (along with German marks and shiny pebbles). Others argue that it's nerd delusion, carelessly elevating new software over time-tested economics. Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'
- BBC Three gets axe in new cuts
BBC THREE will be axed from TV, as £100m cuts at the broadcaster relegate the channel to an onlineonly service.An official announcement today will confirm the decision, pending approval from the BBC Trust, ... Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'
- Russell Indexes re-classifies Egypt as frontier market
Russell Indexes, which has $4.1 trillion tracking its market indices, said on Tuesday it would relegate Egyptian equities from emerging markets status to the smaller frontier markets category. The change is part of Russell's 2014 index review to "capture and reflect global equity market shifts", the company said in a statement. "Egypt's poli Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'