Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Relegate'
Relegate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- refer to another person for decision or judgment; "She likes to relegate difficult questions to her colleagues" [syn: pass on, submit]
- assign to a lower position; reduce in rank; "She was demoted because she always speaks up"; "He was broken down to Sargeant" [syn: demote, bump, break, kick downstairs] [ant: promote]
- expel, as if by official decree; "he was banished from his own country" [syn: banish, bar]
- assign to a class or kind; "How should algae be classified?"; "People argue about how to relegate certain mushrooms" [syn: classify]
- Relegate \Rel"e*gate\ (r?l"?-g?t), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Relegated (-g?`t?d); p. pr. & vb. n. Relegating.] [L.
relegatus, p. p. of relegare; pref. re- re- + legare to send
with a commission or charge. See Legate.]
To remove, usually to an inferior position; to consign; to
transfer; specifically, to send into exile; to banish.
It [the Latin language] was relegated into the study of
the scholar. --Milman.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Relegate'
Words and phrases related to 'Relegate'
Relegate Sample Sentences in News
- Italy: Toni, Fiorentina relegate Palermo
MILAN (AP) -- Palermo was officially relegated after former player Luca Toni scored to hand Fiorentina a 1-0 win in Serie A on Sunday. Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'
- Wests Tigers relegate Benji to NRL bench
Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall has been relegated to the bench for Friday's clash with NRL leaders South Sydney. Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'
- Fiorentina relegate Palermo, Siena also succumb
ACF Fiorentina maintained their UEFA Champions League qualification hopes with a 1-0 win against US Città di Palermo that consigned the visitors to relegation; AC Siena also went down. Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'