Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Relegate'
Relegate Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- refer to another person for decision or judgment; "She likes to relegate difficult questions to her colleagues" [syn: pass on, submit]
- assign to a lower position; reduce in rank; "She was demoted because she always speaks up"; "He was broken down to Sargeant" [syn: demote, bump, break, kick downstairs] [ant: promote]
- expel, as if by official decree; "he was banished from his own country" [syn: banish, bar]
- assign to a class or kind; "How should algae be classified?"; "People argue about how to relegate certain mushrooms" [syn: classify]
- Relegate \Rel"e*gate\ (r?l"?-g?t), v. t. [imp. & p. p.
Relegated (-g?`t?d); p. pr. & vb. n. Relegating.] [L.
relegatus, p. p. of relegare; pref. re- re- + legare to send
with a commission or charge. See Legate.]
To remove, usually to an inferior position; to consign; to
transfer; specifically, to send into exile; to banish.
It [the Latin language] was relegated into the study of
the scholar. --Milman.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Relegate'
Words and phrases related to 'Relegate'
Relegate Sample Sentences in News
- Locke bullish ahead of potentially painful Edinburgh showpiece
Gary Locke, the Hearts manager, has acknowledged that supporters of his club would make the most of it were the Tynecastle side in a position to relegate Hibernian. Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'
- ETFs to Make You Rich During a Market Crash
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A falling market doesn't have to mean a falling portfolio value. Hedge funds were designed to hedge, or have longs and shorts in order to be market neutral. Not everyone has the desire or the ability to short stocks but that doesn't necessarily relegate your portfolio to second-tier status. I was recently asked how someone with a se Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'
- Breakfast pie kicks off a great start to day — or dinner
I like this idea of making a hash brown crust, and this breakfast pie has all the things I love. And there's no reason whatsoever to relegate this dish to the morning meal. Read more on this news related to 'Relegate'