Reflection Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- the image of something as reflected by a mirror (or other reflective material); "he studied his reflection in the mirror"
- a likeness in which left and right are reversed
- the ability to reflect beams or rays
- a calm lengthy intent consideration
- a remark expressing careful consideration
- expression without words; "tears are an expression of grief"; "the pulse is a reflection of the heart''s condition"
- the phenomenon of a propagating wave (light or sound) being thrown back from a surface
- (mathematics) a transformation in which the direction of one axis is reversed
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a calm lengthy intent consideration ,
- the phenomenon of a propagating wave (light or sound) being thrown back from a surface ,
- expression without words; "tears are an expression of grief"; "the pulse is a reflection of the heart's condition" ,
- the image of something as reflected by a mirror (or other reflective material); "he studied his reflection in the mirror" ,
- a likeness in which left and right are reversed ,
- (mathematics) a transformation in which the direction of one axis is reversed ,
- a remark expressing careful consideration ,
- the ability to reflect beams or rays
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Reflection'?
Reflection Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Reflection is the change in direction of a wave at a boundary between two different media, so that the wave moves back into the medium it came from. The most common examples include the reflection of light, sound and water waves.
Specular reflection is a mirror-like reflection of light from a surface, in which light from a single incoming direction is reflected into a single outgoing direction. In the diagram to the right, a light ray is coming from the point P, and meets at the mirror at point O. The ray reflects at the point O outwards in the same medium towards point Q. If a line is put through point O that is at 90˚ to the mirror, the angles made by the light ray (shown in the diagram as and ) must be equal. Both angles have to be equal whenever reflection occurs. This is known as the "law of reflection".
Words and phrases related to 'Reflection'
'Reflection' example sentence in quotations
* If you see in your wine the reflection of a person not in your range of vision, don't drink it. - Chinese Proverb
* How strange is the lot of us mortals Each of us is here for a brief sojourn for what purpose he knows not, though he senses it. But without deeper reflection one knows from daily life that one exists for other people. - Albert Einstein
Click here for more related quotations on 'Reflection'
Reflection Sample Sentences in News
- Quigg: Reflection empowers parents
Two mothers I know each have a 10-month-old child. After a busy day with parents at work and children at child care, they finally arrive home to their respective abodes. There, moms get busy in the kitchen, quickly pulling supper together. Read more on this news related to 'Reflection'
- Reflection Band, LLC to Unveil reflectionband™ at 2014 Annual GHSA Meeting
DALLAS, Sept. 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Reflection Band, LLC announces their attendance as an exhibitor at the Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) Annual Meeting 2014 in Grand Rapids, MI from September 7- 10, 2014 to introduce reflectionband™. Reflection Band, LLC will be exhibiting in booth #21 in the exhibit hall located at the DeVos Convention Center Read more on this news related to 'Reflection'
- Bewildered bird falls in love with its own reflection
A bewildered bird has entered into a very one-sided relationship after falling in love with its own reflection.The narcissistic seagull has taken up residence at an abandoned building on Omahi St in Waikanae on the Kapiti Coast,... Read more on this news related to 'Reflection'