Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Rash'
- imprudently incurring risk; "do something rash that he will forever repent"- George Meredith
- marked by unthinking boldness; with defiant disregard for danger or consequences; "foolhardy enough to try to seize the gun from the hijacker"; "became the fiercest and most reckless of partisans"-Macaulay; "a reckless driver"; "a rash attempt to climb the World Trade Center" [syn: foolhardy, reckless] n
- any red eruption of the skin [syn: roseola, efflorescence, skin rash]
- a series of unexpected and unpleasant occurrences; "a rash of bank robberies"; "a blizzard of lawsuits" [syn: blizzard]
- Rash \Rash\, v. t. [For arace]
- To pull off or pluck violently. [Obs.]
- To slash; to hack; to slice. [Obs.] Rushing of helms and riving plates asunder. --Spenser.
- Rash \Rash\, n. [OF. rashe an eruption, scurf, F. rache; fr.
(assumed) LL. rasicare to scratch, fr. L. radere, rasum, to
scrape, scratch, shave. See Rase, and cf. Rascal.] (Med.)
A fine eruption or efflorescence on the body, with little or
Canker rash. See in the Vocabulary.
Nettle rash. See Urticaria.
Rose rash. See Roseola.
Tooth rash. See Red-gum.
- Rash \Rash\, n. [Cf. F. ras short-nap cloth, It. & Sp. raso
satin (cf. Rase); or cf. It. rascia serge, G. rasch,
probably fr. Arras in France (cf. Arras).]
An inferior kind of silk, or mixture of silk and worsted.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Rash'
A rash is a change of the skin which affects its color, appearance or texture. A rash may be localized in one part of the body, or affect all the skin. Rashes may cause the skin to change color, itch, become warm, bumpy, dry, cracked or blistered, swell and may be painful. The causes, and therefore treatments for rashes, vary widely. Diagnosis must take into account such things as the appearance of the rash, other symptoms, what the patient may have been exposed to, occupation, and occurrence in family members. The diagnosis may confirm any number of conditions.
The presence of a rash may aid associated signs and symptoms are diagnostic of certain diseases. For example, the rash in measles is an erythematous, maculopapular rash that begins a few days after the fever starts. It classically starts at the head and spreads downwards.[See more about Rash at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Rash'
'Rash' in famous quotation sentence
* The assumed instinctive belief in God has been used by many persons as an argument for His existence. But this is a rash argument, as we should thus be compelled to believe in the existence of cruel and malignant spirits, only a little more powerful than man for the belief in them is far more general than in a beneficent Diety. - Charles Robert Darwin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Rash'
Rash Sample Sentences in News
- Rash guards that do double duty as streetwear
A new wave of rash guards by brands like J. Crew and Tory Burch comes in bright, feminine styles ready for sport and fun. Action sports and high fashion may not seem like the most likely of companions, but in the past decade designers have done more than dip a toe into surf culture; they have embraced the easygoing, sun-drenched lifestyle common to Southern Califo Read more on this news related to 'Rash'
- Rash stories have sudden twists
Nothing Gold Can Stay Read more on this news related to 'Rash'
- Rash of robberies hits Baytown
Rash of robberies hits Baytown Houston Chronicle Copyright 2013 Houston Chronicle. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Updated 10:48 pm, Saturday, May 11, 2013 Add the robbery of a smoke shop Thursday that is within sight of the convenience store and it becomes clear the city is seeing an unusual rash of Read more on this news related to 'Rash'