Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Quash'
Quash Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- put down by force or intimidation; "The government quashes any attempt of an uprising"; "China keeps down her dissidents very efficiently"; "The rich landowners subjugated the peasants working the land" [syn: repress, keep down, subdue, subjugate, reduce]
- declare invalid; "The contract was annulled"; "void a plea" [syn: invalidate, annul, void, avoid, nullify] [ant: validate]
- Quash \Quash\, v. t. [OF. quasser, F. casser, fr. L. quassare to
shake, shatter, shiver, v. intens. fr. quatere, quassum, to
shake, shatter. Cf. Concussion, Discuss, Rescue, and
also Quash to annul.]
- To beat down, or beat in pieces; to dash forcibly; to crush. The whales Against sharp rocks, like reeling vessels, quashed, Though huge as mountains, are in pieces dashed. --Waller.
- To crush; to subdue; to suppress or extinguish summarily and completely; as, to quash a rebellion. Contrition is apt to quash or allay all worldly grief. --Barrow.
- Quash \Quash\, n.
Same as Squash.
- Quash \Quash\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Quashed; p. pr. & vb. n.
Quashing.] [OF. quasser, F. casser, fr. L. cassare to
annihilate, annul, fr. cassus empty, vain, of uncertain
origin. The word has been confused with L. quassare to shake,
F. casser to break, which is probably of different origin.
Cf. Cashier, v. t.] (Law)
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Quash'
- Quash: Quash-
- William Quash: William Francis Patterson Quash (27 December 1868 – 17 May 1938) was a British football player who competed in the 1900 Olympic Games . ...
- Quashed: References : com/quashed Quashed's pedigree and racing stats. Category:1932 racehorse births Category:Racehorses trained in Great Britain ...
- Quashquame: Quashquame (alt: "Quawsquawma, Quashquami, Quashquammee, Quash-Qua-Mie", meaning "Jumping Fish") (ca. 1764-ca. 1832) was a Sauk chief; he ...
Words and phrases related to 'Quash'