Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Purpose'
- an anticipated outcome that is intended or that guides your planned actions; "his intent was to provide a new translation"; "good intentions are not enough"; "it was created with the conscious aim of answering immediate needs"; "he made no secret of his designs" [syn: intent, intention, aim, design]
- what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?" [syn: function, role, use]
- the quality of being determined to do or achieve something; "his determination showed in his every movement"; "he is a man of purpose" [syn: determination] v
- propose or intend; "I aim to arrive at noon" [syn: aim, purport, propose]
- reach a decision; "he resolved never to drink again" [syn: resolve]
- Purpose \Pur"pose\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Purposed; p. pr. & vb.
n. Purposing.] [OF. purposer, proposer. See Propose.]
- To set forth; to bring forward. [Obs.]
- To propose, as an aim, to one's self; to determine upon, as some end or object to be accomplished; to intend; to design; to resolve; -- often followed by an infinitive or dependent clause. --Chaucer. Did nothing purpose against the state. -- Shak. I purpose to write the history of England from the accession of King James the Second down to a time which is within the memory of men still living. --Macaulay.
- Purpose \Pur"pose\, n. [OF. purpos, pourpos, propos, L.
propositum. See Propound.]
- That which a person sets before himself as an object to be reached or accomplished; the end or aim to which the view
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Purpose'
Purpose is a result, end, mean, aim, or goal of an action intentionally undertaken, or of an object being brought into use or existence, whether or not the purpose was a primary or secondary effect. It is possible that an intentional act may have multiple purposes, only one of which is a primary intention while the remainder are secondary intentions. For example, the introduction of a gene into a species of rice may have the primary intention of providing resistance to disease and a secondary intention of reducing nutritional value. The diminished nutritional value, though perhaps regrettable, would be a secondary intention in that it is a known effect willingly accepted.
First attested in c.1290, from earl Old French porpos "aim, intention", purpose is related to from porposer "to put forth," from Vulgar Latin corruption of por- "forth" (Latin pro- "forth") and Old French poser "to put, place".[See more about Purpose at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Purpose'
'Purpose' in famous quotation sentence
* I report to you that our country is challenged at home and abroad that it is our will that is being tried and not our strength our sense of purpose and not our ability to achieve a better America. - Lyndon B. Johnson
* This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. - George Bernard Shaw
Click here for more related quotations on 'Purpose'
Purpose Sample Sentences in News
- Purpose Investments Inc. Announces July Distributions
Purpose Investments Inc. is pleased to announce the following distributions for the month of July 2014. The ex-distribution date for all funds is July 29, 2014, with the exception of Purpose High Interest ... Read more on this news related to 'Purpose'
- General Purpose Electronic Test and Measurement Instruments - Global Strategic Business Report: Updated 2014 Report
Dublin -- Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/l285fh/general_purpose) has announced the addition of the "General Purpose Electronic Test and Measurement Instruments - ... Read more on this news related to 'Purpose'
- VIDEO: Rankin County woman surprised with fairy tale proposal
"Marriage is created for one purpose and one purpose only -- and that is to further point us to what our relationship is to you, Father..." That is the prayer that Seth Conerly, of Hattiesburg, said in Read more on this news related to 'Purpose'