Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Proceeding'
n : (law) the institution of a sequence of steps by which legal
judgments are invoked [syn: legal proceeding, proceedings]
- Proceed \Pro*ceed"\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Proceeded; p. pr. &
vb. n. Proceeding.] [F. proc['e]der. fr. L. procedere,
processum, to go before, to proceed; pro forward + cedere to
move. See Cede.]
- To move, pass, or go forward or onward; to advance; to continue or renew motion begun; as, to proceed on a journey. If thou proceed in this thy insolence. --Shak.
- To pass from one point, topic, or stage, to another; as, to proceed with a story or argument.
- To issue or come forth as from a source or origin; to come from; as, light proceeds from the sun. I proceeded forth and came from God. --John viii. 42. It proceeds from policy, not love. --Shak.
- To go on in an orderly or regulated manner; to begin and carry on a series of acts or measures; to act by method; to prosecute a design. He that proceeds upon other principles in his inquiry. --Locke.
- To be transacted; to take place; to occur. [Obs.] He will, after his sour fashion, tell you What hath proceeded worthy note to-day. --Shak.
- To have application or effect; to operate. This rule only proceeds and takes place when a person can not of common law condemn another by his sentence. --Ayliffe.
- (Law) To begin and carry on a legal process. Syn: To advance; go on; continue; progress; issue; arise; emanate.
- Proceeding \Pro*ceed"ing\, n.
- The act of one who proceeds, or who prosecutes a design or transaction; progress or movement from one thing to another; a measure or step taken in a course of business; a transaction; as, an illegal proceeding; a cautious or a violent proceeding. The proceedings of the high commission. --Macaulay.
- pl. (Law) The course of procedure in the prosecution of an action at law. --Blackstone. Proceedings of a society, the published record of its action, or of things done at its meetings. Syn: Procedure; measure; step, See Transaction.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Proceeding'
Procedural law comprises the rules by which a court hears and determines what happens in civil lawsuit, criminal or administrative proceedings. The rules are designed to ensure a fair and consistent application of due process (in the U.S.) or fundamental justice (in other common law countries) to all cases that come before a court. The substantive law, which refers to the actual claims and defenses whose validity is tested through the procedures of procedural law, is different than procedural law.
In context of procedural law; procedural rights may also refer not exhaustively to rights to information, rights to justice, rights to participation which those rights encompassing, general Civil and Political rights. In environmental law, these procedural Rights have been reflected within the UNECE Convention on "Access to Information, Public Participation in Decision-making and Access to Justice in Environmental Matters" known as the Aarhus Convention (1998).[See more about Proceeding at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Proceeding'
'Proceeding' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Proceeding'
Proceeding Sample Sentences in News
- MFDA announces disciplinary proceeding in respect of Barbara Man
MFDA announces disciplinary proceeding in respect of Barbara Man Read more on this news related to 'Proceeding'
- RPM Provides Update On Bondex Asbestos Proceeding
MEDINA, Ohio, May 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- RPM International Inc. (NYSE: RPM) today reported that the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware has issued an opinion estimating the current and ... Read more on this news related to 'Proceeding'
- MFDA announces disciplinary proceeding in respect of Alain Theroux
TORONTO, May 15, 2013 /CNW/ - The MFDA today announced that it has commenced disciplinary proceedings in respect of Alain Armand Joseph Theroux (the "Respondent"). MFDA staff alleges in its Notice ... Read more on this news related to 'Proceeding'