Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Potty'
- (British informal) trivial; "potty little details"
- very drunk [syn: besotted, blind drunk, blotto, crocked, cockeyed, fuddled, loaded, pie-eyed, pissed, pixilated, plastered, slopped, sloshed, smashed, soaked, soused, sozzled, squiffy, stiff, tiddly, tiddley, tight, tipsy, wet]
- stupid and confused; used especially of persons; "blathering like the addlepated nincompoop that you are"; "a confused puddingheaded, muddleheaded fellow"- Isaac Sterne [syn: addlebrained, addlepated, puddingheaded, muddleheaded] n
- a plumbing fixture for defecation and urination [syn: toilet, can, commode, crapper, pot, stool, throne]
- a receptacle for urination or defecation in the bedroom [syn: chamberpot, thunder mug] [also: pottiest, pottier]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Potty'
A chamber pot (also a chamberpot, a jerry, a Jordan, a po, a gazunder (from French "pot de chambre"), a piss pot, a potty, or a thunder pot) is a bowl-shaped container with a handle kept in the bedroom under a bed or in the cabinet of a nightstand and generally used as a urinal at night. In Victorian times, some chamber pots would be built into a cabinet with a closable cover.
During the first World War chamber pots appeared in Britain with the face of the Kaiser on the inside allowing the user an additional amount of satisfaction; these are now highly collectible items. There is some debate - and with very good grounds - that this in fact is the reason a chamber pot was often referred to as a "Jerry".
Chamber pots, usually ceramic, often have lids.
A peculiar form of chamber pot, the Bourdaloue, was designed specifically for females. The oblong rectangle or oval shape of the vessel, sometimes with a higher front enabled the woman to urinate from a squatting or standing posture without much risk of mishap, and also to help deal with the clothing of the day. The name "Bourdaloue" allegedly comes from that of a famous French Catholic priest, Louis Bourdaloue (1632 - 1704), who delivered such long sermons that females of the aristocracy attending them had their maids bring in such pots discreetly under their dresses so that they could urinate without having to leave. However, this explanation is probably a myth.[See more about Potty at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Potty'
Potty Sample Sentences in News
- Common sense prevails while potty training
Question: I've been using the method described in your toilet-training book with my 18-month-old daughter, and she's been doing great during the day. She rarely has an accident. However, I'm still using a diaper at nap-time and during the night (waiting for some consistency in dryness before taking that away). Is that correct? The only problem is she Read more on this news related to 'Potty'
- WPP's Sorrell: Facebook's WhatsApp deal 'potty'
The advertising firm's CEO describes Facebook's acquisition of WhatsApp as "potty" but adds that Mark Zuckerberg knew "what he is doing" Read more on this news related to 'Potty'
- Facebook's WhatsApp deal is 'potty'
The WPP CEO describes Facebook's acquisition of WhatsApp as "potty" but adds that Mark Zuckerberg knew "what he is doing" Read more on this news related to 'Potty'