Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Posthumous'
Posthumous Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : occurring or coming into existence after a person's death;
"a posthumous award"; "a posthumous book"; "a
- Posthumous \Post"hu*mous\ (?; 277), a. [L. posthumus, postumus,
properly, last; hence, late born (applied to children born
after the father's death, or after he had made his will),
superl. of posterus, posterior. See Posterior.]
- Born after the death of the father, or taken from the dead body of the mother; as, a posthumous son or daughter.
- Published after the death of the author; as, posthumous works; a posthumous edition.
- Being or continuing after one's death; as, a posthumous reputation. --Addison. --Sir T. Browne.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Posthumous'
- Posthumous: Posthumous may refer to: Posthumous baptism Posthumous birth , a birth that occurs after the death of the child's parent. Posthumous degree, ...
- Posthumous recognition: A posthumous recognition is a ceremonial award given after the recipient has died, usually in honor of an action associated with his or her ...
- List of works published posthumously: The following is a list of works that were published, performed or distributed posthumously (after the parties involved in its creation ...
- Posthumous name: A posthumous name is an honorary name given to royalty, nobles, and sometimes others, in East Asia after the person's death, and is used ...
- List of posthumous Academy Award winners and nominees: This is a list of posthumous Academy Award winners and nominees. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences annually presents ...
- Posthumous birth: A posthumous birth is the birth of a child after the death of a parent A person born in these circumstances is called a posthumous child or ...
- Posthumous promotion: A posthumous promotion is the military term for the promotion of a soldier after their death. This is typically, but not always, an ...
- Posthumous (EP): Posthumous is a five track EP from the American hardcore punk /metalcore band, The Banner . Originally recorded as the band's first (and ...
- Ladislaus the Posthumous: Ladislaus the Posthumous (22 February 1440 – 23 November 1457) was Duke of Austria from 1440, King of Hungary (as Ladislaus V) from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Posthumous'
Posthumous Sample Sentences in News
- Mortier given posthumous opera award
Opera director Gerard Mortier, who died last month aged 70, is given a posthumous lifetime achievement honour at the International Opera Awards. Read more on this news related to 'Posthumous'
- Opera's Mortier gets posthumous award from opera world
Gerard Mortier, the Belgian opera director and administrator who died last month at the age of 70, has received a posthumous lifetime achievement award at the second annual International Opera Awards in London. Mortier "dedicated his life to bringing originality to opera and worked at three of the world's major operatic institutions, La Monnaie (Brussels) Read more on this news related to 'Posthumous'
- Op-ed: Moss Hart and Posthumous Closeting
Writer and director Moss Hart may have made slight nods to his possible bisexuality or homosexuality, but attempts to honor his life and work have ignored that part of his life. Featured Image: read more Read more on this news related to 'Posthumous'