Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pinion'
Pinion Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a gear with a small number of teeth designed to mesh with a larger wheel or rack
- any of the larger wing or tail feathers of a bird [syn: flight feather, quill, quill feather]
- wing of a bird [syn: pennon] v
- bind the arms of [syn: shackle]
- cut the wings off (of birds)
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, n. (Zo["o]l.)
A moth of the genus Lithophane, as L. antennata, whose
larva bores large holes in young peaches and apples.
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, n. [OF. pignon a pen, F., gable, pinion (in
sense 5); cf. Sp. pi[~n]on pinion; fr. L. pinna pinnacle,
feather, wing. See Pin a peg, and cf. Pen a feather,
- A feather; a quill. --Shak.
- A wing, literal or figurative. Swift on his sooty pinions flits the gnome. --Pope.
- The joint of bird's wing most remote from the body. --Johnson.
- A fetter for the arm. --Ainsworth.
- (Mech.) A cogwheel with a small number of teeth, or leaves, adapted to engage with a larger wheel, or rack (see Rack); esp., such a wheel having its leaves formed of the substance of the arbor or spindle which is its axis. Lantern pinion. See under Lantern. Pinion wire, wire fluted longitudinally, for making the pinions of clocks and watches. It is formed by being drawn through holes of the shape required for the leaves or teeth of the pinions.
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pinioned; p. pr. & vb.
- To bind or confine the wings of; to confine by binding the wings. --Bacon.
- To disable by cutting off the pinion joint. --Johnson.
- To disable or restrain, as a person, by binding the arms, esp. by binding the arms to the body. --Shak. Her elbows pinioned close upon her hips. --Cowper.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pinion'
- Pinion: A pinion is a round gear used in several applications: the pinion was rather large In many cases, such as remote control led toy s, the ...
- Rack and pinion: A rack and pinion is a type of linear actuator that comprises a pair of gear s which convert rotational motion into linear motion. ...
- Pinioning: Pinioning is the act of surgically removing the pinion joint , the joint of a bird 's wing farthest from the body, to prevent flight. ...
- Pinion (disambiguation): Pinion may refer to: Pinion , the smallest gear in a gear drive train " "Pinion", a song by Nine Inch Nails from the 1992 EP Broken ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pinion'
Pinion Sample Sentences in News
- Thieves hit Anderson neighborhoods
Some neighborhoods in Anderson have been broken into. One of the areas hit is around Pinion Street. Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'
- CNC Router processes aluminum sheet.
Featuring all-steel construction, HD Series CNC Router includes THK rails and bearings, precision rack-n-pinion drives on X and Y axes, and ballscrew on Z axis providing smooth, play-free motion. Machine is powered by maintenance-free, brushless micro-stepper motors and is equipped with 4 hp HSD high-frequency collet spindle, offering fully programmable speeds fro Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'
- PINION: Breaking free of the ‘negativity bias’
There are many ways to talk about these differences in people. For most, it’s explained through spirituality. And religion serves as a way to address our own definitions of “happiness” and “sadness.” Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'