Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pinion'
Pinion Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a gear with a small number of teeth designed to mesh with a larger wheel or rack
- any of the larger wing or tail feathers of a bird [syn: flight feather, quill, quill feather]
- wing of a bird [syn: pennon] v
- bind the arms of [syn: shackle]
- cut the wings off (of birds)
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, n. (Zo["o]l.)
A moth of the genus Lithophane, as L. antennata, whose
larva bores large holes in young peaches and apples.
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, n. [OF. pignon a pen, F., gable, pinion (in
sense 5); cf. Sp. pi[~n]on pinion; fr. L. pinna pinnacle,
feather, wing. See Pin a peg, and cf. Pen a feather,
- A feather; a quill. --Shak.
- A wing, literal or figurative. Swift on his sooty pinions flits the gnome. --Pope.
- The joint of bird's wing most remote from the body. --Johnson.
- A fetter for the arm. --Ainsworth.
- (Mech.) A cogwheel with a small number of teeth, or leaves, adapted to engage with a larger wheel, or rack (see Rack); esp., such a wheel having its leaves formed of the substance of the arbor or spindle which is its axis. Lantern pinion. See under Lantern. Pinion wire, wire fluted longitudinally, for making the pinions of clocks and watches. It is formed by being drawn through holes of the shape required for the leaves or teeth of the pinions.
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pinioned; p. pr. & vb.
- To bind or confine the wings of; to confine by binding the wings. --Bacon.
- To disable by cutting off the pinion joint. --Johnson.
- To disable or restrain, as a person, by binding the arms, esp. by binding the arms to the body. --Shak. Her elbows pinioned close upon her hips. --Cowper.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pinion'
- Pinion: A pinion is a round gear used in several applications: the pinion was rather large In many cases, such as remote control led toy s, the ...
- Rack and pinion: A rack and pinion is a type of linear actuator that comprises a pair of gear s which convert rotational motion into linear motion. ...
- Pinioning: Pinioning is the act of surgically removing the pinion joint , the joint of a bird 's wing farthest from the body, to prevent flight. ...
- Pinion (disambiguation): Pinion may refer to: Pinion , the smallest gear in a gear drive train " "Pinion", a song by Nine Inch Nails from the 1992 EP Broken ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pinion'
Pinion Sample Sentences in News
- Gold Standard Continues to Confirm Historical Results and Expand Gold Zones at Pinion
Gold Standard Ventures Corp. today announced assay results of the next five holes from the Pinion Phase 1 drilling program at its 100% owned/controlled Railroad-Pinion Project in Nevada's Carlin Trend. ... Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'
- Area schools balance salaries and other spending
Once the final hires are complete, Superintendent Sarah Pinion estimates that the Marion Independent School District’s school board will have cut $700,000 from the fiscal year 2015 general fund. The school board also will have given instructors and full-time certified administrators, including Pinion, salary increases of almost 4.4 percent. “It just traditiona Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'
- New at Summit Racing Equipment: Auburn Gear HP Series Differential for 2010-14 Camaro
A drop-in upgrade for any 2010-14 10-bolt Camaro pumpkin, this Auburn Gear HP Series differential has a stout four-pinion billet steel design that is much stronger than the OEM two-pinion differential. A ribbed ductile iron case further improves the Auburn differential’s strength. (PRWeb July 14, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/07 Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'