Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pinion'
Pinion Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a gear with a small number of teeth designed to mesh with a larger wheel or rack
- any of the larger wing or tail feathers of a bird [syn: flight feather, quill, quill feather]
- wing of a bird [syn: pennon] v
- bind the arms of [syn: shackle]
- cut the wings off (of birds)
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, n. (Zo["o]l.)
A moth of the genus Lithophane, as L. antennata, whose
larva bores large holes in young peaches and apples.
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, n. [OF. pignon a pen, F., gable, pinion (in
sense 5); cf. Sp. pi[~n]on pinion; fr. L. pinna pinnacle,
feather, wing. See Pin a peg, and cf. Pen a feather,
- A feather; a quill. --Shak.
- A wing, literal or figurative. Swift on his sooty pinions flits the gnome. --Pope.
- The joint of bird's wing most remote from the body. --Johnson.
- A fetter for the arm. --Ainsworth.
- (Mech.) A cogwheel with a small number of teeth, or leaves, adapted to engage with a larger wheel, or rack (see Rack); esp., such a wheel having its leaves formed of the substance of the arbor or spindle which is its axis. Lantern pinion. See under Lantern. Pinion wire, wire fluted longitudinally, for making the pinions of clocks and watches. It is formed by being drawn through holes of the shape required for the leaves or teeth of the pinions.
- Pinion \Pin"ion\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Pinioned; p. pr. & vb.
- To bind or confine the wings of; to confine by binding the wings. --Bacon.
- To disable by cutting off the pinion joint. --Johnson.
- To disable or restrain, as a person, by binding the arms, esp. by binding the arms to the body. --Shak. Her elbows pinioned close upon her hips. --Cowper.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pinion'
- Pinion: A pinion is a round gear used in several applications: the pinion was rather large In many cases, such as remote control led toy s, the ...
- Rack and pinion: A rack and pinion is a type of linear actuator that comprises a pair of gear s which convert rotational motion into linear motion. ...
- Pinioning: Pinioning is the act of surgically removing the pinion joint , the joint of a bird 's wing farthest from the body, to prevent flight. ...
- Pinion (disambiguation): Pinion may refer to: Pinion , the smallest gear in a gear drive train " "Pinion", a song by Nine Inch Nails from the 1992 EP Broken ...
Words and phrases related to 'Pinion'
Pinion Sample Sentences in News
- Valve Actuator and Controls offer diagnostic capabilities.
To simplify daily work practices, FieldQ™ rack and pinion valve actuator and controls utilize FieldQ Foundation Fieldbus v3, with device diagnostic alarm management in flexible modular package. Diagnostic alarm tools enable users to categorize and prioritize device alarms on criticality of device and severity of problem detected. Alarm settings can be config Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'
- Bluegrass bonanza: Boxcar Pinion festival starts today
Fans of that high, lonesome sound will find plenty of company this weekend in Lookout Valley. And that's just counting musicians. Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'
- Hope V-Twin hydraulic disc brakes review
O pinion is still split among cyclocross riders as to whether disc brakes are the future or not. Good cantilevers offer plenty of stopping power for narrow tyres with a finite level of grip on changeable surfaces, but will wear your rims. Disc-specific wheels don’t need a braking track, so can have lighter rims, saving rotational weight in the most crucial ar Read more on this news related to 'Pinion'