Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Peculiarity'
- an odd or unusual characteristic [syn: distinctive feature, distinguishing characteristic]
- a distinguishing trait [syn: specialness, specialty, speciality, distinctiveness]
- something unusual -- perhaps worthy of collecting [syn: curio, curiosity, oddity, oddment, rarity]
- Peculiarity \Pe*cul`iar"i*ty\, n.; pl. Peculiarities.
- The quality or state of being peculiar; individuality; singularity. --Swift.
- That which is peculiar; a special and distinctive characteristic or habit; particularity. The smallest peculiarity of temper on manner. --Macaulay.
- Exclusive possession or right. [Obs.] --Bp. Hall.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Peculiarity'
Idiosyncrasy, from Ancient Greek ἰδιοσυγκρασία, idiosynkrasía, "a peculiar temperament", "habit of body" (ἴδιος, idios "one's own", σύν, syn "with" and κρᾶσις krasis "mixture") is defined as an individualizing quality or characteristic of a person or group, and is often used to express eccentricity or peculiarity. The term can also be applied to symbols. Idiosyncratic symbols mean one thing for a particular person, as a blade could mean war, but to someone else, it could symbolize a surgery. By the same principle, linguists (such as Ferdinand de Saussure) state that words are not only arbitrary, but also largely idiosyncratic signs.
Idiosyncrasy defined the way physicians conceived diseases in the 19th century. They considered each disease as a unique condition, related to each patient. This understanding began to change in the 1870s, when discoveries made by researchers in Europe permitted the advent of a 'scientific medicine', a precursor to the Evidence-Based Medicine that is the standard of practice today.[See more about Peculiarity at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Peculiarity'
Peculiarity Sample Sentences in News
- St Vincent - St Vincent: album stream
Peculiarity, paranoid funk and skewed pop melodies - it could only be a brand new St Vincent album. Listen to our stream and let us know what you think of her fifth LP Read more on this news related to 'Peculiarity'
- Yes, you can cash in on multiple exes’ Social Security benefits
Larry Kotlikoff exposes yet another peculiarity of our nation’s Social Security system that allows a spouse to live off the largest benefits package of multiple ex-spouses. Photo by Altrendo Images/Stockbyte via Getty Images. Larry Kotlikoff’s Social Security original 34 “secrets” , his additional secrets , his Social Security “mistakes” and his Social Read more on this news related to 'Peculiarity'