Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Peculiarity'
- an odd or unusual characteristic [syn: distinctive feature, distinguishing characteristic]
- a distinguishing trait [syn: specialness, specialty, speciality, distinctiveness]
- something unusual -- perhaps worthy of collecting [syn: curio, curiosity, oddity, oddment, rarity]
- Peculiarity \Pe*cul`iar"i*ty\, n.; pl. Peculiarities.
- The quality or state of being peculiar; individuality; singularity. --Swift.
- That which is peculiar; a special and distinctive characteristic or habit; particularity. The smallest peculiarity of temper on manner. --Macaulay.
- Exclusive possession or right. [Obs.] --Bp. Hall.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Peculiarity'
Idiosyncrasy, from Ancient Greek ἰδιοσυγκρασία, idiosynkrasía, "a peculiar temperament", "habit of body" (ἴδιος, idios "one's own", σύν, syn "with" and κρᾶσις krasis "mixture") is defined as an individualizing quality or characteristic of a person or group, and is often used to express eccentricity or peculiarity. The term can also be applied to symbols. Idiosyncratic symbols mean one thing for a particular person, as a blade could mean war, but to someone else, it could symbolize a surgery. By the same principle, linguists (such as Ferdinand de Saussure) state that words are not only arbitrary, but also largely idiosyncratic signs.
Idiosyncrasy defined the way physicians conceived diseases in the 19th century. They considered each disease as a unique condition, related to each patient. This understanding began to change in the 1870s, when discoveries made by researchers in Europe permitted the advent of a 'scientific medicine', a precursor to the Evidence-Based Medicine that is the standard of practice today.[See more about Peculiarity at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Peculiarity'
Peculiarity Sample Sentences in News
- Child Migrants Report Freezing In 'Icebox' U.S. Border Patrol Centers
When three Central American immigrant children testified before a congressional caucus this week to talk about why they came to the United States, their stories mentioned one peculiarity: freezing temperatures in the Border Patrol facilities where they were kept for several days. Nobody expects a Border Patrol processing center to be luxurious, but the children’ Read more on this news related to 'Peculiarity'
- Luciano: It's official: Ripley's curator says Peoria's the weirdest city
As a medical advance, the bubonic plague flea-catcher was a bust. The blood-soaked necklaces had little value in battling the Black Death. But a few hundred years later in Peoria, a surviving flea-catcher starred as the strangest and priciest peculiarity brought to the Bizarre Buying Bazaar. Read more on this news related to 'Peculiarity'