Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Peculiarity'
- an odd or unusual characteristic [syn: distinctive feature, distinguishing characteristic]
- a distinguishing trait [syn: specialness, specialty, speciality, distinctiveness]
- something unusual -- perhaps worthy of collecting [syn: curio, curiosity, oddity, oddment, rarity]
- Peculiarity \Pe*cul`iar"i*ty\, n.; pl. Peculiarities.
- The quality or state of being peculiar; individuality; singularity. --Swift.
- That which is peculiar; a special and distinctive characteristic or habit; particularity. The smallest peculiarity of temper on manner. --Macaulay.
- Exclusive possession or right. [Obs.] --Bp. Hall.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Peculiarity'
Idiosyncrasy, from Ancient Greek ἰδιοσυγκρασία, idiosynkrasía, "a peculiar temperament", "habit of body" (ἴδιος, idios "one's own", σύν, syn "with" and κρᾶσις krasis "mixture") is defined as an individualizing quality or characteristic of a person or group, and is often used to express eccentricity or peculiarity. The term can also be applied to symbols. Idiosyncratic symbols mean one thing for a particular person, as a blade could mean war, but to someone else, it could symbolize a surgery. By the same principle, linguists (such as Ferdinand de Saussure) state that words are not only arbitrary, but also largely idiosyncratic signs.
Idiosyncrasy defined the way physicians conceived diseases in the 19th century. They considered each disease as a unique condition, related to each patient. This understanding began to change in the 1870s, when discoveries made by researchers in Europe permitted the advent of a 'scientific medicine', a precursor to the Evidence-Based Medicine that is the standard of practice today.[See more about Peculiarity at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Peculiarity'
Peculiarity Sample Sentences in News
- If it continued… (Italy v Japan)
Italy came back from 2-0 down to beat Japan 4-3 in a manic and riveting display of footballing peculiarity (full match highlights here). Japan put in an impressive effort and probably deserved a result, but instead the loss sealed their elimination from the … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Peculiarity'
- Urijah Faber vs. Yuri Alcantara: What a Loss Would Mean for Urijah Faber
On June 4, it was revealed that former WEC featherweight champion Urijah Faber would square off against Yuri Alcantara at the UFC's inaugural Fox Sports 1 card, which is set for August 17. The matchup is somewhat surprising, since Faber has faced a proverbial clown-car of champions and contenders for the last five years and Alcantara doesn't really fit the bill. T Read more on this news related to 'Peculiarity'