Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pean'
- (ancient Greece) a hymn of praise (especially one sung in ancient Greece to invoke or thank a deity) [syn: paean]
- a formal expression of praise [syn: encomium, eulogy, panegyric, paean]
- Paean \P[ae]"an\ (p[=e]`an), n. [L. paean, Gr. paia`n, fr.
Paia`n the physician of the gods, later, Apollo. Cf.
P[ae]on, Peony.] [Written also pean.]
- An ancient Greek hymn in honor of Apollo as a healing deity, and, later, a song addressed to other deities.
- Any loud and joyous song; a song of triumph. --Dryden. ``Public p[ae]ans of congratulation.'' --De Quincey.
- See P[ae]on.
- Pean \Pean\, n. [OF. pene, F. panne.] (Her.)
One of the furs, the ground being sable, and the spots or
- Pean \Pe"an\, n.
A song of praise and triumph. See P[ae]an.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pean'
Ermine is a heraldic fur representing the winter coat of the stoat (white with a black tail). Many skins would be sewn together to make a luxurious garment, producing a pattern of small black spots on a white field. The conventional representation of the tails (commonly called ermine spots) is part of the tincture itself, rather than a pattern of charges, though the ermine spot is also used as a single charge (often as a mark of cadency). The ermine spot has had a wide variety of shapes over the centuries; its most usual representation has three tufts at the end (bottom), converges to a point at the root (top), and is attached by three studs.
On a bend ermine, the tails follow the line of the bend. In the arms of William John Uncles, the field ermine is cut into bendlike strips by the three bendlets azure, so the ermine tails are (unusually) depicted bendwise.[See more about Pean at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pean'
Pean Sample Sentences in News
- Whitstable death crash driver Laurie Hazrati might have suffered from lack of sleep before Pean Hill smash, inquest told
The tragic road death of a popular young man could have happened because he was tired and desperate to get back to bed, an inquest heard. Read more on this news related to 'Pean'
- Mr Brice Pean, General Manager of Kempinski's Largest Resort in Yanqi Lake, Beijing
BEIJING, Feb. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- To call Kempinski's latest project on the outskirts of Beijing ambitious would be an understatement. Scheduled to open in mid-2014, the resort, set on 14-square-kilometre grounds in the heart of scenic Yanqi Lake, Beijing, includes hotels, spas, restaurants, bars and MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences, and Exhibition Read more on this news related to 'Pean'
- Yanqi Lake Kempinski Hotel Beijing to be Unveiled in May 2014
BEIJING, Feb. 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- European luxury hotel company Kempinski's largest property in China will be unveiled in May 2014. The development, set on 14-square-kilometre grounds in the heart ... Read more on this news related to 'Pean'