Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Past'
- earlier than the present time; no longer current; "time past"; "his youth is past"; "this past Thursday"; "the past year" [ant: present(a), future]
- of a person who has held and relinquished a position or office; "a retiring member of the board" [syn: past(a), preceding(a), retiring(a)]
- a verb tense or other construction referring to events or states that existed at some previous time; "past participle" n
- the time that has elapsed; "forget the past" [syn: past times, yesteryear, yore] [ant: future]
- a earlier period in someone's life (especially one that they have reason to keep secret); "reporters dug into the candidate's past"
- a verb tense that expresses actions or states in the past [syn: past tense] adv : so as to pass a given point; "every hour a train goes past" [syn: by]
- Past \Past\, adv.
By; beyond; as, he ran past.
The alarum of drums swept past. --Longfellow.
- Past \Past\, a. [From Pass, v.]
Of or pertaining to a former time or state; neither present
nor future; gone by; elapsed; ended; spent; as, past
troubles; past offences. ``Past ages.'' --Milton.
Past master. See under Master.
- Past \Past\, n.
A former time or state; a state of things gone by. ``The
past, at least, is secure.'' --D. Webster.
The present is only intelligible in the light of the
past, often a very remote past indeed. --Trench.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Past'
Most generally, the past is a term used to indicate the totality of events which occurred before a given point in time. The past is contrasted with and defined by the present and the future. The concept of the past is derived from the linear fashion in which human observers experience time, and is accessed through memory and recollection. In addition, human beings have recorded the past since the advent of written language.
The past is the object of such fields as history, archaeology, archaeoastronomy, chronology, geology, (historical geology), historical linguistics, law, ontology, paleontology, paleobotany, paleoethnobotany, palaeogeography, paleoclimatology, and cosmology.
Time · Eternity · Arguments for eternity · Immortality[See more about Past at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Past'
'Past' in famous quotation sentence
* Philosophy triumphs easily over past evils and future evils but present evils triumph over it. - La Rochefoucauld
* Our American past always speaks to us with two voices the voice of the past, and the voice of the present. We are always asking two quite different questions. Historians reading the words of John Winthrop usually ask, What did they mean to him Citizens ask, What do they mean to us Historians are trained to seek the original meaning all of us want to know the present meaning. - Daniel J. Boorstin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Past'
Past Sample Sentences in News
- Coca-Cola and Kinder Morgan Report Big CEO Buys Over the Past Week
Over the past week we’ve seen several large insider buys as well as several coming from the companies’ CEOs. Read more on this news related to 'Past'
- U.S. Attracts CBA as Australia Swaps Cheapest Since 2012
Pedestrians walk past the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) branch at Martin Place in Sydney. Pedestrians walk past the Commonwealth Bank of Australia (CBA) branch at Martin Place in Sydney. Read more on this news related to 'Past'
- Forex: Euro to Look Past PMI and GDP Revisions, Focus on ECB Outcome
Forex: Euro to Look Past PMI and GDP Revisions, Focus on ECB Outcome Read more on this news related to 'Past'