Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Parceling'
Parceling Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : the act of distributing by allotting or apportioning;
distribution according to a plan; "the apportionment of
seats in the House of Representatives is based on the
relative population of each state" [syn: allotment, apportionment,
apportioning, allocation, parcelling, assignation]
- Parcel \Par"cel\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Parceledor Parcelled;
p. pr. & vb. n. Parceling or Parcelling.]
- To divide and distribute by parts or portions; -- often with out or into. ``Their woes are parceled, mine are general.'' --Shak. These ghostly kings would parcel out my power. --Dryden. The broad woodland parceled into farms. --Tennyson.
- To add a parcel or item to; to itemize. [R.] That mine own servant should Parcel the sum of my disgraces by Addition of his envy. --Shak.
- To make up into a parcel; as, to parcel a customer's purchases; the machine parcels yarn, wool, etc. To parcel a rope (Naut.), to wind strips of tarred canvas tightly arround it. --Totten. To parcel a seam (Naut.), to cover it with a strip of tarred canvas.
- Parceling \Par"cel*ing\, n. [Written also parcelling.]
- The act of dividing and distributing in portions or parts.
- (Naut.) Long, narrow slips of canvas daubed with tar and wound about a rope like a bandage, before it is served; used, also, in mousing on the stayes, etc.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Parceling'
Words and phrases related to 'Parceling'
Parceling Sample Sentences in News
- 8 tips to deal with liability when outsourcing to multiple IT vendors
There's little question that multi-sourcing — parceling out the IT services portfolio among a number of vendors — is the new normal for IT outsourcing . But what happens when things go wrong and there's no proverbial single throat to choke? Read more on this news related to 'Parceling'
- Hawaii health marketplace off to an especially rough start
Four months in, Hawaii Health Connector has allocated $120 million but signed up only about 4,300 people — fewer than any other state. Some lawmakers want to put the nonprofit under state control. HONOLULU — When the federal government began parceling out billions of dollars for the new health insurance marketplaces under the Affordable Care Act, President Oba Read more on this news related to 'Parceling'