Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Paramour'
- a woman's lover [syn: fancy man]
- a woman who cohabits with an important man [syn: concubine, courtesan, doxy, odalisque]
- Paramour \Par"a*mour\, n. [F. par amour, lit., by or with love.
See 2d Par, and Amour.]
- A lover, of either sex; a wooer or a mistress (formerly in a good sense, now only in a bad one); one who takes the place, without possessing the rights, of a husband or wife; -- used of a man or a woman. The seducer appeared with dauntless front, accompanied by his paramour --Macaulay.
- Love; gallantry. [Obs.] ``For paramour and jollity.'' --Chaucer.
- Paramour \Par"a*mour`\, Paramours \Par"a*mours`\, adv.
By or with love, esp. the love of the sexes; -- sometimes
written as two words. [Obs.]
For par amour, I loved her first ere thou. --Chaucer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Paramour'
Types of relationships Family · Marriage Husband · Wife Soulmate · Significant other Siblings · Cousin Domestic partnership Widowhood
Boyfriend · Girlfriend Cohabitation · Casual Romantic friendship · Sexual partner
Friendship · Kinship Monogamy · Same-sex relationship Non-monogamy · Open marriage Polyamory · Polyfidelity · Polygamy
Mistress (lover) · Cicisbeo · Concubinage · Courtesan ·[See more about Paramour at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Paramour'
Paramour Sample Sentences in News
- Woman held for rape of 6-yr-old
A woman, who had abetted her paramour to rape and murder a six-year-old girl recently in Mahadevapura, has been arrested in Rajasthan along with her paramour and husband. The Mahadevapura police identified the suspects as Prathima Devi, 22, Suresh Kumar Sharma, 27, and Mohammad Munna Alam, 22, all residents ofHoodi. Suresh Kumar and Munna hail from Jagdishpur vill Read more on this news related to 'Paramour'
- Citing legal attacks from ex, Rep. Sanford calls off engagement
Rep. Mark Sanford announced in a lengthy Facebook post Friday afternoon that he and his new paramour, Belen Chapur, were calling off their engagement. He cited legal threats and pressure from his ex-wife, Jenny. Read more on this news related to 'Paramour'
- Is favoritism toward paramour gender discrimination?
(9/12) Friendships, cronyism, nepotism, affairs. Many types of personal relationships can result in one employee being treated better than another. But is favoritism discriminatory? Read more on this news related to 'Paramour'