Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Paramour'
- a woman's lover [syn: fancy man]
- a woman who cohabits with an important man [syn: concubine, courtesan, doxy, odalisque]
- Paramour \Par"a*mour\, n. [F. par amour, lit., by or with love.
See 2d Par, and Amour.]
- A lover, of either sex; a wooer or a mistress (formerly in a good sense, now only in a bad one); one who takes the place, without possessing the rights, of a husband or wife; -- used of a man or a woman. The seducer appeared with dauntless front, accompanied by his paramour --Macaulay.
- Love; gallantry. [Obs.] ``For paramour and jollity.'' --Chaucer.
- Paramour \Par"a*mour`\, Paramours \Par"a*mours`\, adv.
By or with love, esp. the love of the sexes; -- sometimes
written as two words. [Obs.]
For par amour, I loved her first ere thou. --Chaucer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Paramour'
Types of relationships Family · Marriage Husband · Wife Soulmate · Significant other Siblings · Cousin Domestic partnership Widowhood
Boyfriend · Girlfriend Cohabitation · Casual Romantic friendship · Sexual partner
Friendship · Kinship Monogamy · Same-sex relationship Non-monogamy · Open marriage Polyamory · Polyfidelity · Polygamy
Mistress (lover) · Cicisbeo · Concubinage · Courtesan ·[See more about Paramour at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Paramour'
Paramour Sample Sentences in News
- Man kills wife's paramour
A newly married man allegedly killed his wife's paramour at Channakeshavanagar in the Parappana Agrahara police station limits on Tuesday. The deceased has been identified as Sateesh, 26, a mechanic and a resident of Channakeshavanagar. He allegedly had an affair with Rukminiamma, 20, of Maralawadi village near Kanakapura. She and her husband Shamaraj, 29, wer Read more on this news related to 'Paramour'
- Woman, paramour get life term for killing husband
Dehradun, Nov 27 (PTI) A local court here today sentenced a woman and her paramour to life imprisonment for killing her husband six years ago. Read more on this news related to 'Paramour'
- Jackson Pollock’s final work authenticated through CSI test
Pollock paramour Ruth Kligman insisted until her death in 2010 that the pioneering New York painter gave her “Red, Black & Silver.” Read more on this news related to 'Paramour'