Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Paramour'
- a woman's lover [syn: fancy man]
- a woman who cohabits with an important man [syn: concubine, courtesan, doxy, odalisque]
- Paramour \Par"a*mour\, n. [F. par amour, lit., by or with love.
See 2d Par, and Amour.]
- A lover, of either sex; a wooer or a mistress (formerly in a good sense, now only in a bad one); one who takes the place, without possessing the rights, of a husband or wife; -- used of a man or a woman. The seducer appeared with dauntless front, accompanied by his paramour --Macaulay.
- Love; gallantry. [Obs.] ``For paramour and jollity.'' --Chaucer.
- Paramour \Par"a*mour`\, Paramours \Par"a*mours`\, adv.
By or with love, esp. the love of the sexes; -- sometimes
written as two words. [Obs.]
For par amour, I loved her first ere thou. --Chaucer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Paramour'
Types of relationships Family · Marriage Husband · Wife Soulmate · Significant other Siblings · Cousin Domestic partnership Widowhood
Boyfriend · Girlfriend Cohabitation · Casual Romantic friendship · Sexual partner
Friendship · Kinship Monogamy · Same-sex relationship Non-monogamy · Open marriage Polyamory · Polyfidelity · Polygamy
Mistress (lover) · Cicisbeo · Concubinage · Courtesan ·[See more about Paramour at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Paramour'
Paramour Sample Sentences in News
- Married girl, paramour commit suicide
Jaipur, Aug 29 (PTI) A married girl and her paramour allegedly committed suicide in Hathikhera Village of Ajmer district, police said today. Read more on this news related to 'Paramour'
- Man to trial in case of bomb meant for paramour
STATE COLLEGE, Pa. (AP) — A central Pennsylvania man has been ordered to stand trial on charges he built a remote-controlled pipe bomb which police say he planned to use to blow up his wife's paramour. Read more on this news related to 'Paramour'
- Self-deluded stage mom grabs 'The Last of Robin Hood' spotlight
By Patricia Reaney NEW YORK (Reuters) - Thwarted ambition and shattered dreams push actress Susan Sarandon to become the ultimate stage mother in "The Last of Robin Hood," a drama about the final fling of middle-aged matinee idol Errol Flynn and his teenage lover. As Florence Aadland, the mother of Flynn's young paramour Beverly, Sarandon ventures in Read more on this news related to 'Paramour'