Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Pamphlet'
- a small book usually having a paper cover [syn: booklet, brochure, folder, leaflet]
- a brief treatise on a subject of interest; published in the form of a booklet [syn: tract]
- Pamphlet \Pam"phlet\, n. [OE. pamflet, pamfilet, paunflet,
possibly fr. OF. palme the palm of the hand, F. paume (see
Palm) + OF. fueillet a leaf, dim. of fueil, m., F. feuille,
f., fr. L. folium, pl. folia, thus meaning, a leaf to be held
in the hand; or perh. through old French, fr. L. Pamphila, a
female historian of the first century who wrote many
epitomes; prob., however, fr. OF. Pamflette, the Old French
name given to Pamphilus, a poem in Latin verse of the 12th
century, pamphlets being named from the popularity of this
- A writing; a book. --Testament of love. Sir Thomas More in his pamphlet of Richard the Third. --Ascham.
- A small book consisting of a few sheets of printed paper, stitched together, often with a paper cover, but not bound; a short essay or written discussion, usually on a subject of current interest.
- Pamphlet \Pam"phlet\, v. i.
To write a pamphlet or pamphlets. [R.] --Howell.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Pamphlet'
A pamphlet is an unbound booklet (that is, without a hard cover or binding). It may consist of a single sheet of paper that is printed on both sides and folded in half, in thirds, or in fourths (called a leaflet), or it may consist of a few pages that are folded in half and saddle stapled at the crease to make a simple book. In order to count as a pamphlet, UNESCO requires a publication (other than a periodical) to have "at least 5 but not more than 48 pages exclusive of the cover pages"; a longer item is a book.
The adverb pamphlet for a small work (opuscule) issued by itself without covers came into Middle English ca 1387 as pamphilet or panflet, generalized from a twelfth-century amatory comic poem with an old flavor, Pamphilus, seu de Amore ("Pamphilus: or, Concerning Love"), written in Latin. Pamphilus's name was derived from Greek, meaning "friend of everyone". The poem was popular and widely copied and circulated on its own, forming a slim codex.[See more about Pamphlet at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Pamphlet'
Pamphlet Sample Sentences in News
- Related Stories
A pamphlet, attributed to banned Lashkar-i-Islam was distributed in Manzoor Colony threatening locals to vacate the area in 10 days. – File Photo PESHAWAR: A pamphlet, attributed to the banned Lashkar-i-Islam (LI), was distributed in a neighbourhood of the Khyber Pakhtunhwa capital threatening residents, mostly Shia Muslims, to vacate the area in the next ten da Read more on this news related to 'Pamphlet'
- DEA packet compares school scores, salaries
DANVLLE — Members of the Danville Education Association are circulating a pamphlet as part of their planned strike on Thursday. Click Here to see the pamphlet Read more on this news related to 'Pamphlet'
- Mt. Pleasant taking steps to keep citizens safe
Mt. Pleasant officials have begun to compile information for an emergency procedure pamphlet that will be distributed to borough residents. The borough recently installed a ... Read more on this news related to 'Pamphlet'