Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Nucleus'
Nucleus Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a part of the cell containing DNA and RNA and responsible for growth and reproduction [syn: cell nucleus, karyon]
- the positively charged dense center of an atom
- a small group of indispensable persons or things; "five periodicals make up the core of their publishing program" [syn: core, core group]
- (astronomy) the center of the head of a comet; consists of small solid particles of ice and frozen gas that vaporizes on approaching the sun to form the coma and tail
- any histologically identifiable mass of neural cell bodies in the brain or spinal cord [also: nuclei (pl)]
- Nucleus \Nu"cle*us\, n.; pl. E. Nucleuses, L. Nuclei. [L., a
kernel, dim. fr. nux, nucis, nut. Cf. Newel post.]
- A kernel; hence, a central mass or point about which matter is gathered, or to which accretion is made; the central or material portion; -- used both literally and figuratively. It must contain within itself a nucleus of truth. --I. Taylor.
- (Astron.) The body or the head of a comet.
- (Bot.) (a) An incipient ovule of soft cellular tissue. (b) A whole seed, as contained within the seed coats.
- (Biol.) A body, usually spheroidal, in a cell or a protozoan, distinguished from the surrounding protoplasm by a difference in refrangibility and in behavior towards chemical reagents. It is more or less protoplasmic, and consists of a clear fluid (achromatin) through which extends a network of fibers (chromatin) in which may be suspended a second rounded body, the nucleolus (see Nucleoplasm). See Cell division, under Division.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Nucleus'
- Nucleus: The nucleus is generally the core of something and may refer to: The atomic nucleus . Cell nucleus , the control center of a cell, which ...
- Cell nucleus: In cell biology , the nucleus (pl. nuclei; from Latin la | nucleus or la | nuculeus, meaning kernel) is a membrane enclosed organelle ...
- Atomic nucleus: The nucleus is the very dense region consisting of nucleon s (proton s and neutron s) at the center of an atom . neutrons in the nucleus, ...
- Syllable nucleus: In phonetics and phonology , the nucleus (sometimes called peak) is the central part of the syllable , most commonly a vowel . ...
- Comet nucleus: The nucleus is the solid, central part of a comet , popularly termed a dirty snowball. A cometary nucleus is composed of rock , dust , and ...
- Active galactic nucleus: An active galactic nucleus (AGN) is a compact region at the centre of a galaxy that has a much higher than normal luminosity over at least ...
- Nucleus (neuroanatomy): In neuroanatomy , a nucleus is a brain structure consisting of a relatively compact cluster of neuron s. It is one of the two most common ...
- Nucleus (band): Nucleus were a pioneering jazz-rock band from Britain who continued in different forms from 1969 to 1989. In their first year they won ...
Words and phrases related to 'Nucleus'