Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Nucleus'
Nucleus Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- a part of the cell containing DNA and RNA and responsible for growth and reproduction [syn: cell nucleus, karyon]
- the positively charged dense center of an atom
- a small group of indispensable persons or things; "five periodicals make up the core of their publishing program" [syn: core, core group]
- (astronomy) the center of the head of a comet; consists of small solid particles of ice and frozen gas that vaporizes on approaching the sun to form the coma and tail
- any histologically identifiable mass of neural cell bodies in the brain or spinal cord [also: nuclei (pl)]
- Nucleus \Nu"cle*us\, n.; pl. E. Nucleuses, L. Nuclei. [L., a
kernel, dim. fr. nux, nucis, nut. Cf. Newel post.]
- A kernel; hence, a central mass or point about which matter is gathered, or to which accretion is made; the central or material portion; -- used both literally and figuratively. It must contain within itself a nucleus of truth. --I. Taylor.
- (Astron.) The body or the head of a comet.
- (Bot.) (a) An incipient ovule of soft cellular tissue. (b) A whole seed, as contained within the seed coats.
- (Biol.) A body, usually spheroidal, in a cell or a protozoan, distinguished from the surrounding protoplasm by a difference in refrangibility and in behavior towards chemical reagents. It is more or less protoplasmic, and consists of a clear fluid (achromatin) through which extends a network of fibers (chromatin) in which may be suspended a second rounded body, the nucleolus (see Nucleoplasm). See Cell division, under Division.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Nucleus'
- Nucleus: The nucleus is generally the core of something and may refer to: The atomic nucleus . Cell nucleus , the control center of a cell, which ...
- Cell nucleus: In cell biology , the nucleus (pl. nuclei; from Latin la | nucleus or la | nuculeus, meaning kernel) is a membrane enclosed organelle ...
- Atomic nucleus: The nucleus is the very dense region consisting of nucleon s (proton s and neutron s) at the center of an atom . neutrons in the nucleus, ...
- Syllable nucleus: In phonetics and phonology , the nucleus (sometimes called peak) is the central part of the syllable , most commonly a vowel . ...
- Comet nucleus: The nucleus is the solid, central part of a comet , popularly termed a dirty snowball. A cometary nucleus is composed of rock , dust , and ...
- Active galactic nucleus: An active galactic nucleus (AGN) is a compact region at the centre of a galaxy that has a much higher than normal luminosity over at least ...
- Nucleus (neuroanatomy): In neuroanatomy , a nucleus is a brain structure consisting of a relatively compact cluster of neuron s. It is one of the two most common ...
- Nucleus (band): Nucleus were a pioneering jazz-rock band from Britain who continued in different forms from 1969 to 1989. In their first year they won ...
Words and phrases related to 'Nucleus'
Nucleus Sample Sentences in News
- 'Sparky' and its new stars give clues to how massive galaxies evolve
Astronomers have discovered a budding galactic nucleus, which is undergoing a ferocious rate of star formation. It is providing researchers with their first glimpse at a key step in the galaxy-formation process. Read more on this news related to 'Nucleus'
- PriceAdvantage Validates Wayne Nucleus(tm) Point-of-Sale System
Convenience Stores can Synchronize Fuel Price Changes at the POS, Dispenser, and Price Signs COLORADO SPRINGS, CO, United States / ACCESSWIRE / Aug 12, 2014 / PriceAdvantage, a fuel pricing software company ... Read more on this news related to 'Nucleus'
- Mentor Graphics Extends Nucleus RTOS with Industry-Leading Capabilities for Microcontroller and Multicore Applications
WILSONVILLE, Ore., Aug. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Mentor Graphics Corporation (NASDAQ: MENT) today announced a new version of the Mentor ® Embedded Nucleus® real time operating system (RTOS) targeting high-performance, ... Read more on this news related to 'Nucleus'