Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Newspaper'
- a daily or weekly publication on folded sheets; contains news and articles and advertisements; "he read his newspaper at breakfast" [syn: paper]
- a business firm that publishes newspapers; "Murdoch owns many newspapers" [syn: paper, newspaper publisher]
- a newspaper as a physical object; "when it began to rain he covered his head with a newspaper" [syn: paper]
- cheap paper made from wood pulp and used for printing newspapers; "they used bales of newspaper every day" [syn: newsprint]
- Newspaper \News"pa`per\, n.
A sheet of paper printed and distributed, at stated
intervals, for conveying intelligence of passing events,
advocating opinions, etc.; a public print that circulates
news, advertisements, proceedings of legislative bodies,
public announcements, etc.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Newspaper'
A newspaper is a regularly scheduled publication containing news, information, and advertising. By 2007 there were 6580 daily newspapers in the world (including 1456 in the U.S.) selling 395 million copies a day (55 million in the U.S).
General-interest newspapers typically publish stories on local and national political events and personalities, crime, business, entertainment, society and sports. Most traditional papers also feature an editorial page containing editorials written by an editor and columns that express the personal opinions of writers. Other features include display and classified advertising, comics, and inserts from local merchants.
The newspaper is typically funded by paid subscriptions and advertising.
A wide variety of material has been published in newspapers, including editorial opinions, criticism, persuasion and op-eds; obituaries; entertainment features such as crosswords, sudoku and horoscopes; weather news and forecasts; advice, food and other columns; reviews of movies, plays and restaurants; classified ads; display ads, editorial cartoons and comic strips.[See more about Newspaper at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Newspaper'
'Newspaper' in famous quotation sentence
* Th' newspaper does ivrything f'r us. It runs th' polis foorce an' th' banks, commands th' milishy, controls th'ligislachure, baptizes th' young, marries th' foolish, comforts th' afflicted, afflicts th' comfortable, buries th' dead an' roasts thim aftherward. - Finley Peter Dunne
* Once a newspaper touches a story, the facts are lost forever, even to the protagonists. - Norman Mailer
Click here for more related quotations on 'Newspaper'
Newspaper Sample Sentences in News
- Kuwait shuts down pro-opposition TV, newspaper
Kuwait said it revoked the licences of pro-opposition Al-Youm television and Alam Al-Youm newspaper and ordered them to shut down immediately on Tuesday. The information ministry said in a statement that the licences of the two media outlets had been revoked "for losing some of the terms and conditions for obtaining a licence". Al-Youm confirmed it had r Read more on this news related to 'Newspaper'
- Newspaper companies need to stop lying to themselves, says longtime newspaper editor
Former newspaper editor David Boardman says too many newspaper companies and industry executives are fooling themselves by pretending that their business is better than it really is. They need to face ... Read more on this news related to 'Newspaper'
- Kuwait strips citizenship of two opposition figures, relatives
(Adds cancellation of newspaper and TV channel licenses) By Ahmed Hagagy KUWAIT, July 22 (Reuters) - Kuwait's government has revoked the citizenship of two opposition figures and some family members and shut two media outlets, the state news agency reported, in moves that could deepen a political crisis in the U.S.-allied Gulf Arab state. The move comes after Read more on this news related to 'Newspaper'