Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Newspaper'
- a daily or weekly publication on folded sheets; contains news and articles and advertisements; "he read his newspaper at breakfast" [syn: paper]
- a business firm that publishes newspapers; "Murdoch owns many newspapers" [syn: paper, newspaper publisher]
- a newspaper as a physical object; "when it began to rain he covered his head with a newspaper" [syn: paper]
- cheap paper made from wood pulp and used for printing newspapers; "they used bales of newspaper every day" [syn: newsprint]
- Newspaper \News"pa`per\, n.
A sheet of paper printed and distributed, at stated
intervals, for conveying intelligence of passing events,
advocating opinions, etc.; a public print that circulates
news, advertisements, proceedings of legislative bodies,
public announcements, etc.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Newspaper'
A newspaper is a regularly scheduled publication containing news, information, and advertising. By 2007 there were 6580 daily newspapers in the world (including 1456 in the U.S.) selling 395 million copies a day (55 million in the U.S).
General-interest newspapers typically publish stories on local and national political events and personalities, crime, business, entertainment, society and sports. Most traditional papers also feature an editorial page containing editorials written by an editor and columns that express the personal opinions of writers. Other features include display and classified advertising, comics, and inserts from local merchants.
The newspaper is typically funded by paid subscriptions and advertising.
A wide variety of material has been published in newspapers, including editorial opinions, criticism, persuasion and op-eds; obituaries; entertainment features such as crosswords, sudoku and horoscopes; weather news and forecasts; advice, food and other columns; reviews of movies, plays and restaurants; classified ads; display ads, editorial cartoons and comic strips.[See more about Newspaper at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Newspaper'
'Newspaper' in famous quotation sentence
* Th' newspaper does ivrything f'r us. It runs th' polis foorce an' th' banks, commands th' milishy, controls th'ligislachure, baptizes th' young, marries th' foolish, comforts th' afflicted, afflicts th' comfortable, buries th' dead an' roasts thim aftherward. - Finley Peter Dunne
* Once a newspaper touches a story, the facts are lost forever, even to the protagonists. - Norman Mailer
Click here for more related quotations on 'Newspaper'
Newspaper Sample Sentences in News
- U.S. newspaper industry revenue fell 2.6 percent in 2013
New York — U.S. newspaper industry revenue continued to fall last year, as increases in circulation revenue failed to offset shrinking demand for print advertising. Read more on this news related to 'Newspaper'
- US newspaper industry revenue fell 2.6 pct in 2013
NEW YORK (AP) — U.S. newspaper industry revenue fell last year, as increases in circulation revenue weren't high enough to make up for shrinking demand for print advertising, an industry trade group said Friday. Read more on this news related to 'Newspaper'
- New LA newspaper embraces print in digital world
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Aaron Kushner believes he can launch and grow a print newspaper in a world gone digital. Read more on this news related to 'Newspaper'